Author Topic: HELP if you can please....  (Read 7427 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
HELP if you can please....
« on: August 28, 2010, 05:42:44 AM »
Hello all.
I have not been on the board much this season. We found out in early May that my Husband has stage 4 colon cancer. Needless to say this has been devestating to my family in many ways. Some wonderful friends are throwing a benefit for us Sept 19 in Lincoln Park Michigan. We are having raffles of gift baskets and need items donated. If you have stuff laying around you would like to donate (doesn't have to be pond related) please get in touch with me. Small items are great. We can put things together to make great baskets, so something you may not think is worth sending, probably is! Some baskets we're trying to put together are.... Garden, BBQ, Chocoalte lovers, tea for two, board games, pasta dinner, Mexican night dinner, coffe lovers, etc.
Anyone in the area, if you would like to attend the benefit, we'd love to have you! Here's the link to the facebook page for more info...
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000741552161#!/event.php?eid=146083598743510&ref=mf

This link is going to my page, you may have to just type in: Matt Biggs Fight against Colon Cancer on Facebook
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:26:55 AM by Jerry »
Kathy

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: HELP if you can please....
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 06:15:56 AM »
Sorry to hear about your dear hubby.  Hope the benefit goes well.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 09:38:35 AM »
Oh Kathy, I am so sorry your hubby and you are going through such a difficult time.

I HAVE STUFF!!! Got one for the garden package....Maybe more than one. We have several PVC bird feeders that we made a few years back and never sold. My stepson does wonderful woodburning. Maybe I could get him to do some little something.

I do chocolates and have a chocolate covered oreo cookie mold that has a raised cancer ribbon on the top. I also have cancer ribbon molds. Do you know what color they use for the colon cancer cause? By that time, I should be able to ship it without worring about it melting in the weather.

I could send some embroideried stuff too maybe. Tell me what you think is best.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 09:49:18 AM »
 :hug: I'm so sorry.  I'll have to see what my schedule is and I may pop up there if not in school. 

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 03:39:12 PM »
Kathy, I am sorry to hear the news of your husband's cancer. We will be praying for you and your family. I will see if there are somethings we can send your way also. Keep us posted on how things progress with the sale, and with updates on your husband's health.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 03:12:04 AM »
Thanks all. It's been a pretty horrible summer. This hit us out of nowhere! I feel the worst and most afraid for the kids. I had to leave my new job to take care of Matt and drive to appointments etc. Our income has plunged. We've been trying to get a mortgage modification, the bank just stalls. Any of you done it? We now have to pay COBRA. We don't qualify for any kind of aid because the governement thinks we make too much money on disablility alone (I don't get unemployment). They tell us "health insurance is a luxury". Well, ONE teatment at Karmanos is $17,000 and Matt goes twice a month, we CAN NOT give up our insurance! The lady tells me if we were paying it out of pocket, THEN we could get food assistance!
   We are afraid of losing the house, which means we would lose the POND! I don't even know what we would do with our bigger fish  that are too big for an aquarium. What if we get kicked out in the winter when I can't get to them?!  Everyone says "One day at a time", but it's difficult to live that way. Almost all of the other people in treatment at Karmanos are so much older and they don't have some of the issues that we have. Thier kids are grown, maybe they don't have a mortgage anymore, or at least have some savings to help out. The other day at "group therapy" the moderator wanted the caregivers to tell what part of the experience we were grateful for. Are you kidding me?!
    The worst part is knowing I could lose it all, and my Husband too. I just can't even bare to think about it.
Anyway, I ramble.....

Esther, that is so kind of you! I will send you my address. The colon cancer ribbon is like a royal blue.
KatFish, LOVE to have you there! Matherfish, anything is appreciated! I'll send my address to you. Thanks!
Mather
Kathy

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 10:55:27 AM »
I am so, so sorry to hear all this.  It's so sad that you have to be worrying about keeping your health insurance when all your worries should be with getting your husband through this horrible illness. 

:hug:
Karen

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 11:14:55 AM »
Very sad news Kathy.  I too will be praying for God's mercy and healing power to get you and your husband through this ordeal.  Please pm me your address. -Mike
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 11:19:56 AM »
Kathy, I am so sorry for this ordeal.  I will also be keeping you and your family in my prayers.  :hug:

What people have to pay to keep COBRA is ridiculous.  I totally understand your frustration and worry over this insurance predicament.  Maybe a phone call to a state rep would be in order...or a local tv station to call attention to what it takes for good people to keep their heads above water when there is a loss of income and insurance.   >:(
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 02:20:04 PM »
Kathy...I am SO sorry. I know all of you have to be so scared. I am sending prayers for all of you but especially for Matt.
PM me your address and I'll come up with something for your fundraiser.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 02:52:15 PM »
Do you have a pay pal account? If so, please PM me your account email address.
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 07:34:02 AM »
Kathy, so sorry to hear this.  I wish the best of luck to you and Matt.

Keep us posted.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 10:08:27 AM »
I am really sorry to hear about your husband. This must be very tough for all of your family.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT depend on the mortgage modification to come through. Many of these are scams and they really cannot do much unless the bank agrees to it. A coworker of mine
applied for one LAST October and she still hasn't gotten them to do ANYTHING!! They just keep calling her and asking for more documentation, claim they never got documentation, etc., etc. She's faxed them so much stuff so many times that its just nuts. The bank isn't budging either. The attorney with the modification program told her they can't do much if the bank itself won't cooperate. Sorry, I hate to be negative when you're having a tough time but it takes about a year to get these through IF at all. :-\
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 10:20:44 AM »
Dearest Kathy and Matt, this can't be easy for you but you and your family.  Sharing your feelings whether they be good or bad would be the best medicine for you all.  Keep a good karma around you and fight your fight. 

Been there, done that.  All my prayers and love to you.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 09:22:54 AM »
Hubby just said he was going to Home Depot to get some cedar to make "those" birdhouses. I said, "Cedar?" He said, "Well if I'm going to do it, I might as well do it right."  He's making wren houses.

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 03:46:42 PM »
Kathy, if you would post your Paypal acct. addy on here it would help, or an address. If half of our AP members (1702 of us) could donate $10 or $20 it would help your situation greatly. None of us knows when we might be the next one in your situation. Half might seem a little unreal, but if everyone who reads this post would send something, maybe we could make a difference. Items take cash to ship, but cash is cheap to mail, or use Paypal.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 04:02:32 PM »
I just sent a message to Kathy to ask her if the email address was still the same as on Facebook and did she have Paypal. I don't think it matters if they've ever used Paypal before. I think they just have to have a valid address. But we'll find out.

When Braeden was so sick and later when there was that golf scramble memorial fundraiser and I had asked for contributions of stuff, I was amazed at the items for the scramble and also personal gifts sent to Kevin and Dawn by forum members during the illness. One sent cash to the older kids even, knowing they were probably being overlooked in the fracas. I can't remember now everybody but there were probably at least 3 dozen items sent including gifts of cash. When you've been on the receiving end in something like this, it makes you remember when somebody else is hurting.

Pete bought a 8' x 8" piece of cedar this afternoon and this is what we ended up with. We used every last inch of it + luckily had a few tiny scraps from another project.  He made the two houses and I made the feeder. They are pretty crude and quickly put together but still, Kathy said they were putting together baskets or packages and one she mentioned was "Yard/garden/" so that's why we did the bird stuff.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:04:38 PM by Esther »

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 09:01:35 PM »
Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear this . Prayers for you & Matt . I can send something too ...I can do pay pal too or ?

((((HUGS)))

bonnie

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 05:16:19 PM »
Kathy's email is posted on her Facebook account so I don't think she would care if I gave it to you. Send me a PM.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 09:05:59 PM »
My dad died from that, and I know what you mean about this horrible situation that we're all in. I'd also like your Paypal addy. Our situation is not good as well, but would still like to do what little we can.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 05:44:25 AM »
We are planning on going to Kathy's house this coming Wednesday and taking what we can scrounge together, besides the stuff we just made. I'm trying to get my son in law that does the woodburning to come up with something for them. She sounded excited we were coming and that people here were interested in helping someone they had never met. But I figure that we've been helped a lot in my 67 years, sometimes by family or acquaintances but sometimes by total strangers too and I want to "pay back" from now on.

She also said it was OK to share her email account address. You can send her a note of encouragement and/or a little something to their Paypal account to help financially. Imagine if you were facing the potential loss of your house and your husband!!! I can't. Somehow, it just seems like there should be some way that people who are so sick shouldn't lose their homes.

MKBiggs@cavtel.net   By the way, she is on Facebook as Kathy Biggs so if you want to hook up with her there, you can. 

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 07:12:03 AM »
I, too, recieved permission from Kathy to post her email addy which is also her Paypal account. It is MKBiggs@cavtel.net. If you can send her anything I am sure it would be greatly appreciated. She did not ask for money, just donations, but for many of us, cash is easier to send. Also, we may not have items to send, or the cost of shipping may be prohibitive.
Since I do not have auction items, I will send anyone who sends a donation of $5 or more a couple of pink rain lilies and a Crinum menehume lily until I run out. I believe I should have 25 or more. These are both marginals.  They are small and will be shipped standard mail, but should do fine as they are bulb plants. Let me know when you have sent Kathy your donation. I have never met her, but want to help a fellow ponder. Sorry, I do not have a better pic of the pink rain lily. Also, the Crinum Menehume is Craig Presnell's pic. Offer good until the end of September.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 03:20:01 PM by matherfish »

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
Thanks Frank. That is a wonderful thing for you to do. I hope you run out of lilies.

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 12:00:47 PM »
Thank you for providing her paypal address. I hope that several gifts from this community will combine to be helpful for her family!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 10:04:35 AM »
Bump - to keep it up front
Tammie

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 11:47:54 AM »
I know that many want to donate just to help, not for the plants. The plants are not necessarily to replace your good will, they are simply a 'thank you for your help" type of thing. Maybe they might be a reminder each time you see them of how fortunate we are that we can help someone, or maybe a reminder of how quick things can change in our lives and we need help form others. Maybe it will remind us that caring people add beauty to the world like flowers add to the ponds. Whatever, the reason, thank you for helping in any way you can. No one knows how much we can make a difference in the lives of others until we try to make a difference.

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 11:51:59 AM »
You are so right Frank! 
Tammie

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 12:03:47 PM »
bump/ Thanks for everyone who has sent a donation. If you have not, but can, please do so.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 11:11:13 AM »
I asked my stepson to make something small to contribute, thinking he could throw a bird or fish on a couple of coasters. He said he didn't have the right wood for it and sent this instead.  He said he'd been trying to sell it on Etsy or Itsy or Bitsy or whatever and it hadn't sold. I wonder if he realizes that Pontiac is right on the edge of Detroit and that is the home of the Detroit Tigers. Hope it brings a good price.

Just realized the gold hands didn't show up and the wood grains show blacker than really are.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 03:19:59 PM »
Where do we send a donation, or items for the sale, if we want to do it the snail-mail way?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"