Author Topic: Amazon lily circa 19th century  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Amazon lily circa 19th century
« on: August 29, 2010, 02:35:02 PM »
I recently was on the live chat and mentioned I had a book containing a sketch of a giant Amazon Lily in a pond in England in the mid 19th century.  What I found interesting is that hybrids of this magnificent plant were not introduced and made available to us until relatively recently.  I told the group I would have our son scan the sketch and photo to present here.

I was given a book about the Garden at Chatsworth (Britain) written by the Duchess of Devonshire.  The gardens have been renown for centuries and the book had the below sketch and photo of the Victoria Amazonica.  The 6th Duke of Devonshire hired a young man, Joseph Paxton, to be his head gardener.  Upon learning and seeing the Victoria Amazonica being successfully grown in the botanic gardens at Kew, Paxton begged the head of the botanic gardens to let him have a seedling.  Now none of us have ever begged a friend for a seedling have we?...  {:-P;;  Paxton received the seedling in 1849 and immediately built a special tank for it.  After it quickly developed the huge leaves Paxton immediately enlarged the tank.

Below is an artist's sketch of the plant.  The 6th Duke of Devonshire writes that Paxton's 7 year old daughter, weighing 100lbs, was placed on one of the pads where it held her weight.

Below is a photograph taken at the turn of the 19th century of Victoria Amazonica in a conservatory at Chatsworth gardens.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline ponderer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon lily circa 19th century
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 04:46:41 PM »
TY for posting that. I have previously seen a photo of a couple enjoying tea , full set and all, on one of those pads. Let's look for that!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 05:56:04 PM »
Mikey, thank you for post this. I would so love to grow one that huge but it would require a huge pond of it's own. For now, I will stick with dwarfing them to a manageable size. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 08:30:11 AM »
Fascinating!

The 6th Duke of Devonshire writes that Paxton's 7 year old daughter, weighing 100lbs, was placed on one of the pads where it held her weight.

I do have a little bit of suspicion about that.... my daughter is 13 and barely weighs 95 pounds. My 8 year old son weighs fifty-something. They're both on the "normal" curve.

The quest for plants was very popular with the Brits. Ever read "The Orchid Thief" by Susan Orlean? Obtaining plants was a cutthroat, deadly endeavor back then!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:23:04 AM »
I do have a little bit of suspicion about that.... my daughter is 13 and barely weighs 95 pounds.
The Duke probably also had some pretty good fishing stories....  lol  But then again, those clothes she was wearing may add another 10lbs  ;D

Sounds like an interesting book.  Some of the Dukes of Devonshire spared no expense in their gardens.  One Duke was mentioned as being rather frugal due Britain's hard economic times during their involvement in WWI.  A beautiful conservatory had to be torn down because it was too expensive to heat and was in need of repairs.  Many tropical plants were lost.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »
This is so very interesting, Mike!  I have seen these large pads on our travels in gardens and conservatories and they are amazingly huge (not in the "the fish I caught", sense!  ;D ) but alas I will never be able to have the space to grow one, one pad would not even fit into any of my ponds now!  :P

Love reading stories of the people back when times were slower and simpler.  The adventures in the quest for bigger and better gems that Mother Nature has hidden is fun to read.  Pictures are even better!  Thanks Mike!

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 12:29:57 PM »
Wow, that is really something Mike!  One day I hope to see one with my own eyes.

emm

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:31:05 AM »
I remember an old Tarzan film where "boy" lays on one!
I am close to 2 streets  one is Devonshire the other Chatsworth!

Super post Mike!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 09:58:54 AM »
Very cool! O0

And yes, 100 lbs would be a bit much for a 7 y/o. :o
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline ponderer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 05:34:51 AM »
Here's a photo I found today

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"