Author Topic: When Do You Need a New Pump? UPDATE - Mfgr's Info  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
When Do You Need a New Pump? UPDATE - Mfgr's Info
« on: September 13, 2010, 10:19:49 AM »
My 700 gph Pondmaster has been running questionably for years.  Rattles, stops sometimes and needs to be smacked against a rock to get it going.  In addition, there's a big hole in the volute (front of the housing) which is allowing water to escape back to the pond, instead of going into the tubing.

Thanks to a link posted here (JustLiners.com), I can order a new volute and impeller for $20.  Since the pump has no moving parts other than the impeller, would that be all I need to fix it?

Or do you think the pump (12 yrs old, probably) is shot?  Should I buy a whole new pump, for $85 ?   
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 10:40:00 PM by Julles »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: When Do You Need a New Pump?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:33:21 AM »
My opinion?  After 12 yrs with the old one I'd get a new one.  If possible keep the old one for back up, just in case.

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:19:31 PM »
Julles,

My pondmaster is doing the very same thing. I have to smack it to to get it going. When you find out what is wrong with your please post so I will know also.

Zoe (Cindy)

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
My 6+ year-old pondmaster 190 was doing the same thing - runs my trickle tower.  Replaced the impeller - sort of worked. 

But it stops without warning and the trickle tower runs dry and all of the good bacteria die.

So, I bought a new one - no more problems.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 04:01:48 PM »
So you're choosing between spending $20 and ending up with a repaired 12 year old pump or a new one for $85. Guess it depends on whether you want to risk repairing an old pump or spend $85 and not have to worry about it. Or it could mean you only have $20 to spend and really don't have a choice. So then what happens if you spend the $20 and it still quits?

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 04:17:14 PM »
Rattles, stops sometimes and needs to be smacked against a rock to get it going.........yep , sounds like my wife.........get a new one .

Offline Julles

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Esther, that is exactly my dilema.  You never know if a repair will work, so you hate to invest the $, but $20 sure is more attractive than $85, especially since work is so slow, and this is really a back up pump (although it does run the bog.)

But the other thing is, if I were to buy a new one, I would probably get a larger one.  Which means a larger price, PLUS new fittings and tubing, since the 950 requires larger hoses than the 700.   Which is even MORE $.

I just e-mailed the company, and will get their advice as to whether or not a replacement impeller will likely do the job.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: When Do You Need a New Pump? UPDATE - Mfgr's Info
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 10:42:05 PM »
I e-mailed someone who I think is the manufacturer, and got this reply:

Hi Julie:

It is hard to know if replacing the impeller and volute will solve your problem and significantly extend the life of the pump. Check the shaft that the impeller sits in and see if it is smooth or grooved. It if is still smooth, it might be worth replacing the parts. If it is grooved, it is time for a new pump.

Happy Ponding

www.PondMasterStore.com

I'm bettin' that shaft is gonna be grooved - mighty grooved.  New pump, here I come!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 04:54:36 AM »
Yeah, I'd buy the new pump--remember it has a warranty too.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline misstammy

• Members
  • With us since: 17/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 07:36:24 AM »
I like justliners.com.
I would get the new one as it may save you money in efficiency. Keep the old one as back up!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"