Author Topic: Fry raising this year  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Fry raising this year
« on: September 19, 2010, 08:38:35 AM »
- as usual, in the early spring I floated some large plastic asparagus ferns.  Part for cover until the live plants start growing, part for spawning media.

- one morning as I walked to my car I saw the fish getting busy in the ferns

- that night I netted all of the ferns and put them in two 100-gallon stock tanks of water

- let them go all summer

- water always turns pea-soup green since I don't run a filter (would suck the fry in)

- fed them flake food from time to time, but not a regular basis

- a few days ago, I emptied the one by dipping out the water with a basin, pouring it into a large plastic kitchen strainer into a five-gallon bucket

- put those fry in the other tank

- filled the first stock tank with clean water - added dechlor

- netted out as many fry as I could

- most of the fry were 3/4" to 1".  Last year when I fed them regularly with goldfish flake food most were twice that size.

- one sarassa comet was over 3" though!  Cannibal . . .  :'( >:(- {nono}    Threw him in the pond since he's large enough my 15" golden orfe can't eat him

- I emptied the second stock tank by dipping out the water with a basin, pouring it into a large plastic kitchen strainer into a five-gallon bucket.  Put all of the fry in the clean water stock tank

- only got about 30 fry from original 300+.  Sarassa comet "toby" must have eaten quite a few

- about half are mutts since I the parents are sarassa comets, shubunkins and midnight shubunkins.

- I do know a guy that I always takes the mutts.  Will raise the nicest ones inside in a 55-gallon aquarium over the winter

Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Fry raising this year
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 02:04:37 PM »
Nice going Gary.  Love to see a photo, maybe 2 O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 11:27:12 AM »
You have been busy.  Funny about the toby...I think I had a few too and they reduced the population more than I needed.

Offline Bearb

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 03:07:40 PM »
I had a fish who was actually named Toby because of his size (read taste for fish fry). This year a heron gave him a taste of his own medicine.
Bryan

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 04:34:20 PM »
I didn't get any fry that lived this year.  At least, not that I know of.  This is the time of year, though, that any survivors will be large enough to start making an appearance.

Offline Mikos

• Members
  • With us since: 22/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Illegalcurve
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 02:19:21 PM »
For the first time in 14 years my Koi actually showed some breeding displays (i.e. beating up my female butterfly) but alas no fry as far as I'm aware.
"The sea was angry that day my friends. Like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." George Costanza

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"