Author Topic: Moving pond to Mom's need advice for bottom drain!  (Read 2112 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Moving pond to Mom's need advice for bottom drain!
« on: October 04, 2010, 07:54:31 AM »
Hey everybody.
O.k, so we have decided it's best to let the house go into foreclosure (or deed in leiu of). Mom is fine with us building a new pond at her place (yeah MOM!). So I need to work QUICK. It's getting colder here in Michigan real quick. I will take everything I can with me. That means digging up the savio skimmer, biofilter, weir. Pretty much everything but the liner. I didn't have a bottom drain in this pond and I think we should put one in the new one if I can. So how do I do that and how much will it cost me? It HAS to be CHEAP! Can I DIY it or do I have to buy one? I don't  even know how they work. Matt is able to tell me what to do, he just can't do it himself anymore. I am trying to gather a group to come over and dismantle everything we can and move it. The local rental shop will give me a deal on a small excavator for a weekend and teach me how to use it in the parking lot. Do you think this is something I can do myself, because Matt is laughing hysterically at me while I'm on the phone with the rental guy asking if they have a "girl sized" one!!
I know everyone says we would have a year or more bvefore we have to get out, but there is no garantee of that and if we are able to do the deed in leiu, it works better for us, but gives us alot less time, probably putting us out inthe winter months when everything is frozen solid!
Kathy

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Moving pond to Mom's need advice for bottom drain!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 09:40:34 AM »
i have so much ''stuff'' and am so depressed . i read your posts and inspite of your awful situation you always seem 'up beat' , although i suspect that you sometimes get pretty depressed when you think of what is occurring . i really hope things work out well for you eventually . ... . peace

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:36:20 AM »
I hope you get some good help. And tell Matt to quick laughing at you and the "girl sized" digger. You can do anything a "boy" can do. Well most anything!!! >:(-

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 05:09:53 PM »
Wow, sorry this is happening to you. Been there, done that and its not fun. Laws are different from state to state but make sure you know how much time you will have. From the time of the foreclosure sale we had approximately 5 months and that was pushing the mortgage companies buttons to the max. You want to make sure you are out before the mortgage company files to evict you because that eviction will haunt you when it comes to renting. You can't always continue to live in the house during the redemption period. That's the period of time where you could legally come back and satisfy the mortgage on the property and that can take a good stretch of time but the mortgage company doesn't have to let you remain there.
Trust me, its best to get your butts out there as soon as you can. Even though we legally were within our rights to still be in our house, a representative from the mortgage company would call us about twice a week and verbally threaten us if we didn't move out. He banked on us being dumb and thought he was scaring us but we knew our rights, still, it was stressful. They also sent a person to the house to threaten us, which we reported to the Sheriff's dept. but they blew us off because they didn't believe it happened. >:(- >:(-

You might want to consider finding a large used stock tank as a backup in case you would get in a bind.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:24:19 PM »
We are still in process of building our mega pond....we bought bottom drains from a guy named Billy on koiphen for $25 each. He may be worth contacting for his latest deals.

Considering we broke ground around memorial day and are still working on it...and with all that you have going on, I second the suggestion of getting a large stock tank. There are some pretty good deals over on koiphen in the trader section.
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 07:43:51 AM »
Sorry to hear this, Kathy, but I am sure you've figured out what will work best for you.  I agree with 2 Vetts - you are inordinately upbeat and positive.  Good luck to you both.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 12:39:02 PM »
Kathy, I'm so sorry about your home, just focus all your energy on getting hubby well.  Thank goodness you have family to help you out.  I don't know anything about bottom drains.  Just wished we lived closer cause my dh would jump in there and run that excavator.

Take care,
Karen

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 03:38:17 AM »
Thanks you guys, we really try to remain positive. If I didn't,  I don't think I could make it, and it would be so much worse for the kids. Through it all we have to keep things as normal as we can for them.
Desert Ponder, stock tanks sound great, but I think they would freeze over here in Michigan. They would be above ground.
Indy Karen, my friend's Husband knows how to run a digger! He's volunteered to come help me run it! Yeah! And Esther, he is still giggling!!!
The problem may be the city, they have lots more ordinances, which I don't mind so much, it's just that it's going to slow things down for us. They don't understand that ice and fish don't mix, you get fish sticks! We've placed 2 calls to the inspector with no return calls. They want you to submit plans, then inspect the site, then inspect after the hole is dug....blah blah blah, I just need to dig the hole and I can finish the actual pond in the spring because all I need for winter is the liner and aerator.
Kathy

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 11:18:33 AM »
Desert Ponder, stock tanks sound great, but I think they would freeze over here in Michigan. They would be above ground.

Yes, they will depending on how cold. You have to use a stock tank heater. I use one in mine just during the coldest part of winter.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 03:51:22 PM »
Got approval from city to dig! Don't need a permit  O0, that makes things much smooooother!! Now I am hoping the weather holds out so I can rent my girl digger next weekend. This weekend would have been perfect for the weather, but we have a cancer retreat. Watch it rain and get cold next week! I still can't believe we are doing this. We had never thought of moving, let alone moving a pond!
Kathy

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Drastic times call for drastic measures--it's amazing how versatile we can become when we have too!  We need some pics of the 'girl digger' and of course if you are operating it....those too!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 06:27:35 PM »
Kathy, moving so much is the reason that I haven't let go of my tanks. As soon as I'm sure that this place is going to be ours, I will be renting the mini excavator that you are about to use. ;D
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 05:12:38 AM »
LuAnn...and a pic of Matt's hysterical laughter too I would imagine!  lol
I am still so nervous about the whole thing but I KNOW I CAN DO IT.
We're also thinking of skipping a bottom drain. We've done real well without one so far, and are concerned that it might leeak under there.
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 05:17:21 AM »
Kathy, moving so much is the reason that I haven't let go of my tanks. As soon as I'm sure that this place is going to be ours, I will be renting the mini excavator that you are about to use. ;D

We fully intended to stay here, you just never know what life will hand you. You learn very quickly in a situation such as ours that YOU are NOT in control of so much of your life. Post pics of your yard soon!!
Kathy

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 10:31:57 AM »
Kathy, of COURSE I need a pic of Matt laughing!  And you are sooo right about what we have control over!  Remember to stay flexible and go with the flow:  what doesn't BEND--well, it BREAKS.  Still in my prayers and remember that laughter HEALS.   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"