Author Topic: Another pond vac question  (Read 1154 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Another pond vac question
« on: October 13, 2010, 06:28:23 AM »
How do you keep from sucking up the fishies when using a pond vac? We have thought about buying one but are curious about this.
zone 5b

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Another pond vac question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 02:57:40 PM »
We raise lots of babies every year---so I have lots of vacuuming to do...99% of the time they run from the hose....but, if it picks them up they survive...you just dump out the water-pick up the fish and toss it back....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 04:09:20 PM »
our fish come ''running'' every time i put a net the vac or anything else in pond but so far i haven't had one get in the vac . i suppose you've never seen a fish run . i have..........up the local rivers every spring ,

Offline Loritx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 09:16:41 AM »
I think my goldfish (3inch size) are suicidal!!  o( :D I find them swimming in the Wetvac all the time!! I just toss them back in!  I have never killed one yet!!

Lori TX

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 06:55:02 PM »
I got the Pond Vacuums Muck-Vac
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5565

I used it this morning without using a water hose even.  I tossed the whole thing into the tank...held it all under water until the bubbling stopped...held my hand over the end of the outlet and tossed it over the side of the tank...and started vacumming with a back and forth motion.  Lots of muck and water drained out for a nice water change.

@O@ Yes, I am an experienced ditch irrigation person.   lol  The instructions were given to prime the vacuum when not enough water pressure.   {:-P;;  So I primed the thing.  It works for what I bought it for.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:44:50 AM »
Thanks for this idea!  My DH normally uses a tube hose to suction the gunk from the bottom of the shallow koi pond and it work fabulously.  Never thought of doing it for the deeper lily pond.  With a pole attached to the hose I could vacuum without getting myself all wet!  Now to find a long piece of pvc!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"