Author Topic: Barley straw  (Read 1060 times)

Offline grkehler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Barley straw
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:01:43 PM »
Is it of any benefit to keep barley straw in your pond all year round. 

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Barley straw
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 12:22:23 PM »
As I have never used barley straw I have no direct experience with which to answer your question.  My feeling has always been that a small bit is unlikely to have much benefit but so many swear by it that I am likely wrong.  I imagine that it would break down in the winter adding rotting organic matter to your pond.  I would be inclined to remove it when cutting back lilies, etc for the winter.  Again, I don't know but as no one else has yet weighed in I thought I'd give it a try and bring your question back to the top for you.

Hope you get a good answer soon.
emm

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 02:03:11 PM »
Hello...

I have kept 2 very large chunks in my garbage can "skippy-type" filters for the last three years, 24/7/365, and only experience string algae in places that get alot of air movement/oxygenation, (my small creek and waterfall)...  Prior to that I got string all thru my pond and it was a pain keeping it collected and out of the pond..  Have to admit all my marginals and pondside plants that creep into the pond around the perimeter have matured much over the years, and definitely suck up nutrients, but for now I am keeping the barley straw in the filters...  It is very cheap for a bale of it at the local feed store and doesn't require any maintenance, except to fill the plastic onion bags every year...  Tried Koi-Clay but didn't see much effect...  Have heard it works for some, however...

I've never tried the Algae-Fix or any other of the soluble chemical products...

Take Care...
Dave

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 04:50:49 PM »
I would guess it depends upon the age of your pond and the temperature of the water.

Barley straw is supposed to be a slow release of hydrogen peroxide as a by product of it's breaking down. I used to pull mine out in the fall when the water temp would drop below 50 degrees. There isn't a lot of  bio activity below this temperature and the biofilter bugs are sleeping and will do nothing to help your water deal with by-products of your fish or plants. I also had raccoons tear up the net bags of barley looking for the grubs that were living in them.

When my pond was new I tried all kinds of stuff, now that its several years old it kind of takes care of itself. If your pond is older it probably doesn't need anything. If it's new it just needs time, or more filtration...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"