Author Topic: Coconut Crabs  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Coconut Crabs
« on: November 02, 2010, 04:37:33 PM »

Coconut Crab

How would you like to find this on the side of your trash can!!!!!!! (or anywhere!!!!) 

Our friends in Australia sent us a picture of a Coconut Crab.   This is pretty interesting.....

Coconut  Crab (Birgus  latro) is the largest terrestrial arthropod in the world. It is  known for its ability to crack coconuts with its strong pincers in  order to eat the contents.
It  is sometimes called the robber crab because some coconut  crabs are rumored to steal shiny items such as pots and silverware  from houses and tents
The second  photo gives you a good idea of how large these crabs are - a coconut  crab is seeking food from a black trashcan.
COCONUT CRABS
The coconut crab is a large edible land crab related to the hermit crab, and are  found in the tropical Indian and Pacific Oceans .. They eat coconuts for a living! How would you like to be on an island and come across a crab that is more than 3 feet from head to tail and weighs up to 40 pounds, with a pair of large pincers strong enough to open coconuts! They can climb trees too, but they only eat coconuts that have already fallen to the ground. Coconut crab meat has been considered a local delicacy.

And you're afraid of spiders??!!!!

Scroll down

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 04:43:08 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut Crabs
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:05:27 PM »
O my GOSH!  That would petrify me~   :o   I watched Anthony Bourdain on the travel channell a while back dining with a local family that fixed those crabs (not one that big) and he said they were delicious...tasted of coconut.  It was on the island where the artist Paul Gauguin lived and painted. 

I could probably eat a crab that big... lol  but somebody else would have to fix it.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 05:26:07 PM »
Mercy. I'd have to catch him to cook him for supper.

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 06:19:15 PM »
It's all how we are culturated.  Lobsters don't scare us off, but I agree, that monster does.
A lady friend of Italian extraction loves the Thanksgiving table with a cooked Sheep's head on it.
Most of us would be a little put off by that, esprecially when Grandpa gets the eye.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 07:15:17 PM »
I thought this thread was gonna be an appetizer recipe.  :o

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:44:51 AM »
It's all how we are culturated.  Lobsters don't scare us off, but I agree, that monster does.
A lady friend of Italian extraction loves the Thanksgiving table with a cooked Sheep's head on it.
Most of us would be a little put off by that, esprecially when Grandpa gets the eye.

We took our son Trick-or-Treating at the farmer's market, and our farmer put a pigs head on display as part of his Halloween decorations. It was interesting to see the reactions of most people when they saw that it wasn't fake.
The farmer said that he occasionally sells one to people who make head cheese.

If those crabs can crack a coconut, they could probably crack my skull. So unless it's on my plate, cooked, with butter on the side, I'd be running away!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 12:13:20 PM »
I don't eat crabs because not are they only too pricey but more importantly they are just too much darn trouble getting to the meat.  However, I believe that coconut crab would be well worth the effort....  I sure would hate one of those rascals to crawl into bed with me.....

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 05:42:02 PM »
That is one scary creature. Glad I am in New England , where crabs are a more managable size!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 08:09:54 AM »
Scary looking creature but can you imagine the tasty juicy meat when it meets the turkey fryer!?!  :D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"