Author Topic: Just stopping by...  (Read 2281 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Just stopping by...
« on: November 28, 2010, 04:49:55 PM »
Esther sent me an email and I thought I'd stop by and give an update on what I've been up to, for those who care.

In July I was laid off after 18 years with that company.  It was all political, I complained about my boss and one other employee and two weeks later my "postition was terminated".  I'm kind of upset only because I know it was personal and political, and there are no jobs in my area so I've been unemployed since then.  In a way, I'm glad I don't work there anymore because I have been unhappy for a while now, but like I said, they're childish and got rid of me only because I utilized the "open door policy" and complained.

My pond is gone, I gave the fish to a guy in LA and everything else is just dead and I still haven't cleaned everything up yet: liner, pump, skimmer, biofalls, etc., are still in place.  No, not going to start another pond, I've just been too depressed to finish taking everything out, and my back yard looks like crap. 

I've been collecting unemployment and doing side jobs to make ends meet, and I'll be candid with you I feel like such a loser to be 50 years old and can't find a job.  Employers are taking advantage of a bad economy and they're paying half what they should be paying employees.  I see jobs for someone with years of experience and a degree or two and they want to pay $9/hour, which is a joke.

I don't know what I'm going to be when I grow up, I am thinking about buying some equipment and going into my own business full time.  I've revamped almost my entire web site in the past month, so if you want to check it out it's www.mascotgraphics.com.

Sorry I'm not good company, but this is the first time in my entire life when I wasn't able to find a job and it sucks because I have a mortgage to think about, and unemployment is less than half of what I was making before.

Aren't the holidays wonderful?  Bah humbug...  :(
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Just stopping by...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 05:44:47 PM »
Work for yourself by all means.  I drove a cab for 6 months in 1950, never had a job since.
You can do it!!! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »
That just stinks, Blind Too.  But if it's any comfort, you should see things around the state of Ohio....unemployment here is 10.8% in my area.  My youngest daughter has put her house up for sale after only having it for 2 years, because she doesn't know if she'll have a job after the first of the year.  And she works for the county as a juvenile probation officer.  Of course, houses aren't moving either and hopefully she can sell it.  I have to tell you that I cried for 2 days after she told me she was putting it on the market:  it's just the most adorable, perfect cottage of a home.  I wish I could buy it and give it to her.  And buy one for my other daughter too.....

I am sorry for the crap you had to endure with the company you were with.  I agree with Jerry.  Now is the time to make your move.  Pour everything into your business and never work for another person but yourself again.  As a farmer, I can tell you the hours are long, the pay is sometimes low to nonexistant, and sometimes it feels as if the world is working against you.  But the rewards are unbelievably gratifying and you can feel good about what YOU have done at the end of the day.  And if not, TOMORROW is another day.  :)

Thanks for stopping by and letting us know how you are doing.  I don't think there is a 'pond requirement' to this board.  There are many here who care, I know I do.. 8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 06:58:20 PM »
It seems like the older employees are the first to go because they make the most money.  They we are over qualified for an entry level job somewhere else.

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 08:24:50 PM »
Didn't you work in a specialty sector of the auto part industry? Any possibilities for using eBay to start up your own business? Things happen for a reason. Hang in there!!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 08:51:05 PM »
Hey Michael.  It's good to hear from you even if the news is bad.  So are very talented in so many areas; the graphic arts, mechanics and writing immediately come to mind.  I can't help but think you will either find work or make work.  Depression is a horrible feeling and I hope things turn around for you very soon.  I'll check out your web site.  Take care my friend. -Mike

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:59:59 PM »
If we were some guy with minor skills ok, but you are multi talented. Goforit!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 12:19:38 PM »
Michael,
I know how you feel.  Three weeks ago, I was downsized.  The bank I worked for hired some efficiency consultant and we were assured that no positions would be eliminated.  The report concluded that they had too many people in the IT department (there was two of us, me being the boss and the higher paid) and three weeks later, I was told some bull crap reason for being let go, but I can read between the lines.  I have a wonderful support network, and so far have not been too down in the dumps.

Hang in there!
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 04:43:40 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that about your job. I can certainly relate to it. I've been at this job since 1988 and they cut my hours for the first time this winter. I've been here the longest and I'm the only one that took a cut in hours. I was pretty ticked off. They didn't cut the part time gal that I work with but cut me 10 hours a week. When I tried to discuss it with the bosses I got all this song and dance about how I was the only obvious person to cut because everyone else is already part time or in sales and on commission. I was told it wasn't personal but it very much felt personal! I don't even want to work here anymore. But, like you said jobs are pretty scarce and employers don't want to hire older workers and the pay has dropped tremendously. I recently heard about a job at the hospital that I figured I would apply for and probably had a good shot at. I knew from it being open in the past that it paid $!5.00/hr. to start. When I got on their website to apply they had dropped starting wage for the position down to $10.00/hr. which is just too large of pay cut for me to take. It seems to be like that all over. It is ridiculous to require a degree and certain work experience and then only want to pay a low wage. :(
Hang in there and hope things turn around for you soon.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 01:43:58 PM »
Oh Michael. I'm glad you came to tell us. How is da birdie?? Any pictures lately. I still have the designs that I was going to put on a towel for you and never did.

Buck up boy. AND whatever you do, don't come to Michigan looking for a job. 5 kids=one a framer/builder laid off for about 1.5 years but wife is a manager of Logans so they're squeaking by, one living in his mother's basement and squeaking by because of that, one worked 4 days a week for the summer but now laid off again and her husband is still working, one not seeming to be bothered by the economy, and another working at a gas station for minimum wages and renting a bedroom for $300 a month.

Pete was laid off 2 years ago November and after a year, found out the boss had sold the company. Who wants a 63 year old Master plumber? But we at least have social security and I had what we thought was a decent 401K from the bank but it's not looking so great anymore as we've already had to start drawing on it. On one hand we want to live forever but on the other hand, the money won't last.

I like Mikey am considering doing in the pond. I haven't told Pete I'm thinking about it. Just don't want to use up the money for the electric bill. It's getting to be a pain to take care of.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 08:23:09 AM »
Good to see you here again, Michael.  Sad to see you're out of work.  You are resourceful and should be back up on your feet real soon.

You've got friends here, glad you're back.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:28:12 AM by miguynmkoi »

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 06:43:52 AM »
Hi Michael, it's good to hear from you.  Sorry about your job.  Sux.

I, too, lost a job due to B.S. fake reasons.  The real reason was because I'm a competent, independent woman who is work-and-quality-focused, and didn't fit in with the other people there, mostly slackers or inneffective at their jobs. 

I started my own business, and it's been doing well for 20 years.  I'm sure you can do it, too. 

Just be sure you have enough $ to get you through the first couple of years, because it takes time to get a biz up and running and to have the revenue coming in. 

While you're collecting Unemployment is the perfect time to do it, because you have a little money to live on, and lots of time to put into development, marketing, etc.  It will also give your mind something constructive to do, and help ward off the blues. 

When you earn some money, be sure to deduct it from your Unemployment claims, to keep things legal.  The good side of this is that it lengthens the period of time that you can make claims. 

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 11:53:28 AM »
Sorry to hear this Michael.  It sounds like you do have a lot of marketable skills, so maybe it will turn out to be a good thing.  I'm sure thats not what you're thinking right now.  :(

Good advice from Julles.  Self-employment, if possible, is the way to go.

Hang in there,
Karen   

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 08:34:27 AM »
Thanks for the replies, yeah, still kinda bummed but only because nobody is hiring!!!  I've applied for a few jobs and even though the positions are still open on their web sites they haven't contacted me even though I'm qualified.
The real reason was because I'm a competent, independent woman who is work-and-quality-focused, and didn't fit in with the other people there, mostly slackers or inneffective at their jobs. 
I know the feeling, Julles, and that has a lot to do with it.  When I started at that company I was destined for trouble right off the bat.  I was on "90-day probation" like everyone else got when they started: you don't get a raise or promotion for 90 days, after which you get evaluated.  Well, my manager broke policy and gave me a 15% pay raise and a promotion at 45 days - and made it retroactive two weeks.  That ruffled a lot of feathers, and 15 years later I was still being black-balled by people who didn't like the fact that I accelled at my job.  One guy, who was a friend at one time, got reprimanded for taking too long on a project.  He immediately approached me (because I was used as the example) and asked me if I was intentionally trying to make him look bad.  I responded with the first thing that came to mind, I said, "you don't need me for that!".  I was even reprimanded by a manager for working too fast and being too efficient... how's that for discipline?

Another manager wanted to change a process and I immediately explained why it wouldn't work and gave a valid example.  She admitted I was right, but just had to get in a dig in front of the whole group and say "I hate it when you do that".  Another manager ignored my suggestions for years, even when they were proven to be valuable and efficient, and he had the audacity to reject one of my ideas and then present it a year later as his own idea. 

I have two pages of things I kept track of over the years that were unprofessional and unfair, but what does it matter when the people you report it to are the same people who commit those acts? 

Sorry, just getting some junk off my chest... it really sucks when you dedicate 18 years of your life to a company who promotes inadequacy and childish attitudes and reprimands those who commit themselves to be the best they can be at what they do.  I put my heart into that job, always went above and beyond what I was asked to do, and was basically crapped on in July as if nothing I did mattered - all because someone didn't "like" me.  I guess if I could find legitimate work I wouldn't have this daily reminder of the fact that it was all just a popularity contest there... not a professional business.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 08:43:44 AM »
Your post should be sent to the CEO of the company.  Kinda makes me wonder if the top people know what's going on....

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"