Author Topic: Majic Goldfish  (Read 1165 times)

Offline doubleone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Majic Goldfish
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:14:21 PM »
I started my pond last spring.  I put in four comets and several Koi.  All the Koi were too young to spawn.  By the end of summer I had at least 50 baby goldfish.  I saw many of them eaten by the larger Koi. They ranged from one inch to three inches.  I suspect more than one spawning.  Anyway all my comets were either white or orange or some combination.  There was no black anywhere on them.  About ten of the babies were black or dark charcoal colored.  Others were all colors.  Anyway there was no way I could allow about 60 fish in a 1000 gal pond.  I decided to  clean the pond even though it didn't need it and remove all the goldfish.  I put the Koi in a temp holding tank and gave away all the goldfish.  I pumped out all the water and scrubbed the rubber liner.  I refilled the pond and put the Koi and plants back.  About two months later I found 2 black baby goldfish about 1-1/2" long!?????  They are still there.  Can someone tell me where the Hades these fish came from?  They are now too big for the Koi to eat.  I hope they are not different sexes!  This completly baffles me The pond was empty and dry for several days.  Any Ideas?

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Majic Goldfish
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:31:11 PM »
eggs on the plants ?  {:-P;;

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 05:31:07 AM »
Yep!

Offline Michiponder

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 06:02:50 AM »
Yup!  had the same problem many years ago.  In my earth bottom pond I ended up pumping it down to a puddle and heavily salting it to whack any goldfish and eggs remaining.  In a lined pond I gave everything a potassium permanganate bath and then nuetralized it with peroxide and then returned the koi.  PP also works well for sterilizing plants before adding them to the pond.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 07:36:51 AM »
Yup, eggs!  Why don't you try and just net them out if you don't want them in there.  Give them to someone who wants them?   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 06:50:24 AM »
One of those gardening radio talk show hosts once told me that toad eggs, and even the tadpoles, could survive in ditches, even when they dry up for weeks.  Once it finally rains, they revive and grow.  With enough moisture, they can become adults.  It sounds hard to believe, but he insisted that they are adapted to surviving, and if it means living through total dry-outs, they are able to do so.

Maybe it's the same for your gold fish eggs.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"