Author Topic: Plant Bans inTexas  (Read 804 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Plant Bans inTexas
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:08:42 PM »
Having trouble viewing this email? Click here 

Dear Jerry,

Our industry is under attack in Texas and others are following their lead.

Far reaching restrictions on Aquatic Plants are coming unless we stand up now.

Amazingly, the State of Texas's Park and Wildlife Department is poised to enact sweeping changes to what aquatic plants can legally be grown and sold in the state. The impact to state taxpayers who will have to pay park rangers to inspect hundreds of nurseries across the state is state issue, but the impact on the aquatics industry simply cannot be overstated.

This month the agency will present to state legislators their new list of aquatic plants that they approve of for sale.

The approved list includes a few hundred varieties, and does not include many plants that are regularly sold by aquatic and terrestrial nurseries today.

By its nature, it bans ALL other aquatic plants from sale. The law changes the operating procedure that currently bans 19 aquatic plants, to banning everything unless specifically approved.

At this time there are some significant plants that have not yet been approved including:
Elephant Ears
Egyptian Papyrus
Water Poppy
Yellow Snowflake
Dwarf Cattail
Graceful Cattail
Variegated Spider Lily
Mexican Petunia. (We know... it is not even an aquatic plant!)

This is NOT JUST A TEXAS PROBLEM. Accroding to Larry Nau of IWGS, New York and Maryland are drafting similar regulations. They will most certainly follow Texas's lead create white lists like this. We all know how government agencies copy each other, and ideas like this spread like wildfire.
 Rolf Nelson notes "businesses from other states may have Texas growers as their supplier. Even if the species still not approved do not make up the bulk of their orders, if Texas growers are weakened by the loss of some of their revenue stream could it put them at risk of going out of business."

What are the penalties if you are caught by TPWD with these plants? Possession of AN(1) illegal plant is classified as a Class B Misdemeanor--up to a $2,000.00 fine &/or 180 days in jail.

What can we do?

1) If you propagate or sell these plants in Texas now, contact Rolf Nelson at Nelson Water Gardens - rolf77466@gmail.com. They are collecting information to submit to the TPWD, and could use your assistance.

2) Attend one of the five upcoming Public Hearings meeting, listen and share your thoughts. All meetings begin at 7 p.m.
Katy January 11, 2011 Bass Pro Shops, 5000 Katy Mills Circle
Austin January 13, 2011 TPWD Headquarters, Commission Hearing Room, 4200 Smith School Road
San Antonio January 18, 2011 Lions Field Adult Center, 2809 Broadway Street
Fort Worth January 19, 2011 Cabela's, 12901 Cabela's Drive

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission is scheduled to vote on the proposed rules at its Jan. 27, 2011 meeting at TPWD's Austin headquarters.  The public is welcome to attend this meeting and provide additional comments for the Commission's consideration.  IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, PLEASE TRY TO ATTEND THIS MEETING AND BE HEARD.

3) Please forward this email to others in the industry, particularly Texas residents quickly as time to implementation is very short.

The "White List" concept of banning all plants unless specifically approved is a bad idea, and yet it is taking hold. We must all be vigilant and oppose it when it is proposed.

To learn more go to iwgs.org and  Texas Parks and Wildlife's site

or contact me at tomg@pondtrademag.com

Sincerely,

Tom Graham
POND Trade 

Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Bans inTexas
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 12:44:27 PM »
Yes, I recall Julles expressing concern here: http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=12365.0

Some people become over zealous when entrusted with power and authority.  I used to see it in young cops.  You can see it in city council members, state legislatures and congress members.  These folks need to take a chill-pill.....

I used to keep a dish of peppermints on my desk.  The dish was labeled "Chill Pills".  When coworkers would start getting over zealous or all stressed out about something I would toss them a peppermint and say, "Here, take a chill-pill."  It probably didn't help them but it made me feel better...   ;D

Don't Worry.  Be Happy.....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 01:18:42 PM »
Jerry, I've been following this since last spring.  The list dos look better than it did earlier in the summer.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 05:36:25 PM »
I got that same email, Jerry. I hope Alabama isn't stupid enough to follow in their foot steps. Of course, Alabama may not even care about aquatic plants taking over. lol lol lol
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"