Author Topic: spring wakeup  (Read 1881 times)

Offline doubleone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
spring wakeup
« on: January 11, 2011, 04:12:21 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I'm passing my first winter in central NC.  We have had a record cold winter.  Everything seems to be ok for now.  I have 6 Koi from 4"  to 12".  I suspect about four of them are capable of spawning.  I'll see. I would appreciate any advice on thing to do when the pond starts to wake up.  I'm told not to feed them until the water temp is consistantly above 50`F.  There ia an amazing amount of green alge growing.  The fish seem to be nibbling on it.  They mostly just sit there.  I understand the fish will be weakened because of their winter fast.  The water is cristal clear.  I have several plants dorment under the water. The pond has been netted so there is a mimimum of trash in it.  I believe a minor cleaning and a partial water change.  Is in order. The waterfall and the bubblers have been run all winter.  I expect the whole pond will freeze solid tonight.  When it's warm enough I'll add some warm water plants.  I've been told to medicate the water as it warms to protect the fish from possible opportunistic diseases or paracites.
Any one have any advice?  It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Larry

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design by Dianne
Re: spring wakeup
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:59:28 PM »
I don't do anything medication wise. In the spring I use a product called Aqua One that jump starts the beneficial bacteria, but other than that I just let the Koi come around naturally when the temps rise. The made it through the last three winters without a loss (crossed fingers). My winters are way colder than yours.
Dianne,
I'm really not crazy, I just talk to my fish.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska
www.diannesgraphicdesign.com

Offline Michiponder

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: spring wakeup
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:30:30 AM »
Sounds like you have the right idea about doing things to ease the spring transition for your fish.  I am in a much colder area than you too, but I would not just automatically use medications like a shotgun to prevent problems.  I belive a better way to go may be to buy a water test kit and monitor the water quality parameters.  Test for amonia and nitrites as your bio filter restarts.  If the water quality is good the fishes imune system will have an easier time coping with problems.  Partial water water changes are great for keeping water quality parameters up.  Salt works well for thickening the slime coat on your fish and it helps protect them when the water gets a little funky, but keep in mind that it can effect your plants.  As far as your fish being ready to spawn this year I would doubt it.  12 inches is pretty small for koi to breed.  Females are usually at least 3 years old before they are ready in my area and at that age they are usually far larger than 12 inches.  I have heard of some fish that were precoious or stunted that spawned at that size though.  Several years ago I had a 3  1/2 year old female that was only 12 inches long spawn, but the eggs did not hatch at all and there were not very many eggs.  I kept that fish for another 2 years, but it never did spawn again and never did grow much more.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"