Author Topic: Bottle Cap Jewelry - Punch or Drill Holes?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Bottle Cap Jewelry - Punch or Drill Holes?
« on: January 17, 2011, 05:04:03 PM »
I'm making necklaces and earrings out of vintage bottle caps from old soda bottles.  To attach them to the chains or earring hooks, there need to be tiny holes in them, to attach the jump rings.

What would be the best way to get the holes in?  Drill, which takes a long time to get through the metal, and puts strain on the thin drill bit?

Or punch with some kind of awl, which has the potential to dull a nice tool.

What would you do?

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Bottle Cap Jewelry - Punch or Drill Holes?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Since I don't have a drill, the obvious choice would be a punch... :)  Could you improvise with a cheaper tool to punch the hole and not ruin a good awl? 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »
Try your awl but remember that it will want to dent the metal. So maybe lay it flat side down on some scrap wood. But then the edges of the hole may slant outward. But it depends on how this cap will hang or be attached to something else. We want pictures.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:37:26 PM »
I always prefer a drill with the right drill bit. See if you can find a multipack of the same size bits.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline -Greg-

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:43:53 PM »

Offline Julles

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 07:01:29 PM »
Thanks, guys. 

I bet that punch is what people have, when they make this sort of jewelry professionally.  I never knew such a thing existed.

I might try a cheap awl or ice pick, and see if it will even go throughthe metal.  Othewise, maybe I need a new, sharp drill bit, and that may make the task faster.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:06:33 AM »
It just occurred to me, I can try a cheap nail on some non-vintage caps, to see if that will make a suitable hole. 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 11:04:17 AM »
The nail will make a hole but remember it will press against the metal and cause a divot, whereas the drill shaves/grinds away the metal.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »
The nail will make a hole but remember it will press against the metal and cause a divot, whereas the drill shaves/grinds away the metal.

That's what I was thinking too Esther. Plus the actual impact may make a dent in the metal surrounding the hole. Julles can you pm me your Email Addy concerning that project you asked me about. Thanks!

Offline wivepi

• Members
  • With us since: 18/06/2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2024, 06:33:34 AM »
Making jewelry from vintage bottle caps sounds like a fun and creative project! To get the tiny holes in the bottle caps, I’d recommend using a hole punch tool specifically made for metal. These tools are designed to create clean, small holes in thin metal without the need for drilling or risking damage to your tools. For attaching items like a hamsa ring to your designs, a metal punch is quicker than a drill and doesn’t put as much strain on your tools like an awl might. If you're working with thicker metal, a small handheld drill with the right bit can also work, but for thin metal, a metal punch would likely be the best option!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"