Author Topic: Snow  (Read 4342 times)

Offline ponderer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Snow
« on: January 22, 2011, 12:33:28 PM »
We have so much snow that the pond deicers are not melting it! So far here in CT we have had 51''. Normal for this time of year is 20''. Everyone is sick of it!!  More coming Wednesday! UGH!

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Snow
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 01:05:45 PM »
Not too much snow so far here in southcentral PA.  The major snowstorms this year have tracked north or east of me.  The storm this WED might hit us both though.

Way colder than normal though - last night went down to 12.  Tomorrow night down to 6.
 >:(-
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 06:01:52 PM »
What we're having here is two weeks of rain.   

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 06:13:24 PM »
76 today!
Don't hate me ;D
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 07:44:41 AM »
Honestly Jerry, that just makes me wanna KICK something!   ;)  Oh my GOSH, I'm so tired of black and gray and white!   ::)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 08:03:41 AM »
I should not have posted it!  Please don't kick me {nono}    Come to california, or better yet Hawaii. Hawaii is nicer and the people there live longer.
if you and hubby come we have a spare room for you.  Rent a car and see the sights!
Yes, easier said then done.  You have mouths to feed on the farm.
 Mikey, Mike W. us, and Annette would entertain you.  I know they would love it too.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:14:57 AM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »
We have had a lot of snow this year too.  In fact, we've only seen the grass a couple of days since the end of November.  That's very unusual for Indiana.  Everywhere you go, everyones talking about being so tired of the snow, but I love it.  I'll admit..........I'm tired of no sunshine (thanks Jerry), but I love to go for a walk in the woods and look for animal tracks and the story they tell.  The coyotes have been coming up close to our house.  They wake us up in the middle of the night..........so eerie.  It's snowing lightly right now.  :)

Offline ponderer

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 12:49:03 PM »
Itis snowin. Again. After this storm we will have over 6 feet of the stuff. Argh!

Offline just.me

• Members
  • With us since: 22/11/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 03:14:07 PM »
Oh! but our plow guy is happy.  Good for him in this economy, no construction going on, maybe not until April  OR  May. 
All this snow sure makes things quiet, esp. at night.  Nice.
BUT it's not a fun trek down to the pond to see if the hole in the ice is still open.
Or getting the pups out for a poop or pee.
Stay warm northeners.  I believe we are in for a very long winter.   :hug:

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 04:11:23 PM »
Yes, I am a little weary of the snow, but it's not as bad as it could be...it could be ice.  I, like Karen, like to trek through the snow to the woods, or a favorite place of mine we call the 'boulevard'.  It looks like a tunnel with the way the trees drape overhead and there are lots of rabbit tracks, and coyote tracks, squirrels, and mice tunnels under the snow.  And the quiet, except for the occasional scolding of the chicadee and nuthatch... :) and the chattering of a few seed pods left on the bare trees. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Michiponder

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 05:31:45 PM »
Been kinda quiet here.  Even though I am in MI there is only about 4 or 5 inches on the ground(some drifts are a lot deeper).  I am in the center of the state SW of Lansing and it is usually the dry part of the state for snow.  Lake effect snow peters out to a dusting usually by the time it gets here.  Heavier snow stays 30 to 40 miles north of here.  The heavy wet snow comes through about 20 to 25 miles south of here.  We get wholloped only very occasionally and not at all so far this year.  It is bitterly cold though.  Without the snow cover it will be tough on the plants and ponds.  Kinda wish we had more snow so the ground will not freeze so deep.  Like Kittyzee I am sick of black and grey and white!   I am going to bail out on MI for next week and head to California to visit family (and maybe a few koi shops, heh, heh).  Hoping for a nice warm, wet, and sunny February.  Still waiting for global warming to bring me my palm trees up here in the cold north.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 06:14:36 PM »
They are now calling it "Climate Change." >:(-
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Pondering

• Members
  • With us since: 14/03/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 08:50:02 PM »
We have a couple inches still on the gound over here in Chgo., but very icey due too the frigid cold.

The pond has been frozen solid with the exception of an aerator sticking out the top All i've been able to do the last  couple months is look out my bedroom window down at the pond in the hopes of seeing an orangle glows go past one of the lights below. ::)

Hang in there ponderer spring is around the corner!  @O@

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 02:26:19 PM »
Snow is no problem here unless you're in the mountain areas.  Record snow covered Mammoth Lakes since Christmas dumping many feet of the fluffy stuff resulting in lots of fabulous skiing runs on sunny days!  Luckily we were able to leave the cold stuff and come home.   8)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 02:31:09 PM »
PS - Trying so hard not to feed the feesh during our heat wave this week where the temps have been in the upper 70's but the nights are around the 50's.  They beg every time we walk by the pond but we...must...be....strong... {nono}

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 01:15:09 PM »
We've been lucky this year also with snow way below normal.  Most snowfalls have been mayby 1-3" the most on the ground at one time so far is about 10".  Have had a nice share of sunny days, but if you ask me we have had to many really cold days.  I still can't wait for spring
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 08:03:49 PM »
LuAnn...............you better take Jerry up on that offer.  ;)

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 04:38:38 AM »
I don't know how I missed Jerry's post....I would LOVE to come and let you entertain us!  Like you said, we have many mouths to feed here and hubby's dad isn't doing so good and there's no one to pick up the slack if we leave.  Not to mention another huge storm coming in again...hopefully it's not so much ice that we lose power.  Lots of animals requires lots of water and if the electric goes, the pumps are out to the barns.   :P
LuAnn

Offline ponderer

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 11:22:14 AM »
Here we go again. More snow Tuesday and some kind of mess Wednesday.  >:(-

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 12:51:48 PM »
Yikes.............they're using the word catastrophic in our weather forecast...........we never hear that. :swear:

Freezing rain and sleet moving this way.  Hubby just came in from digging out the generator and getting fuel.  We are literally the last house on the line for our electric, so it takes them a while to get to us.  We're not out in the boonies or anything but the next neighbor is a different electric company.  The storm is  30 miles west of us now............hope my kids get home from work safely.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 01:35:51 PM »
We are going to get hit tonite until Wed morning.   >:(  Forecast says 7" to 12", depends on where the exact path is.  We haven't had much precipitation this winter so I guess it is about time...   :-\  I don't mind the snow but the ice and bitterly cold temperature (wind chills will be -20F) are what I don't like.  Sigh... And all this after we hit 2 days of record high last Friday and Saturday (72F and 70F).  I'm ready for Spring...

Kuan

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 04:59:04 PM »
Karen and Kuan---can this weather be happening?   Seriously?  I'm with you both....I just hope we don't have a power outage.  I'd rather have Kuan's snow than the ice they say is coming.... :'(     I won't be able to take my daily walks if everything is covered with ice.... >:(-   

I really am a happy person....you wouldn't think so from reading my 'winter' posts would ya?   :D
LuAnn

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 05:32:21 PM »
We are getting blasted with ice.  Just talked to my soon to be daughter-in-law as she was arriving at work (she fell down) she took clothes for two days with her just in case she has to stay over.  She is a nurse and works 7pm to 7am.  My son is traveling Interstate 70 on his way home from work...........I'm just waiting for the phone to ring that he made it safely.  I don't mind the snow but this ice is awful and they are predicting up to TWO inches of ice.......I can't even imagine that.

Offline Pondering

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 06:33:31 PM »
Chgo. is forecasted to get 18"-21" when all is done.  :o  I already have the little volcano around my aerator in the pond... now i have to be sure it doesn't get buried under the snow! 

My work already said today "if the schools in the area are closed, then we will be closed"  @O@  Stay safe and warm everyone!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 06:56:09 PM »
Oh Karen no................
LuAnn

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 07:19:47 AM »
The path went South and East so we will only get about 6"~7" of snow.  OKC got hit pretty hard and all this is going up to Chicago!!  The wind chill is the killer though... right now it is only 3F but it feels like -20F due to the 26 mph wind gust.  The blowing snow is creating a blizzard condition so I am working from home today.  Not even my furry shelties want to go outside.   ;D

It sure is depressing watching the snow blowing outside around my pond while I'm working in the kitchen but I really feel for people in OKC and Chicago.  They sure get hit hard!

Kuan

Offline Pondering

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 03:47:42 PM »
Well whatever you call it Snowmageddon, Snowtorious, snowpocalypse, or SNOprah (here in Chi Town) it arrived 3 hours ago... not much accumulating, but alot of blowing and white outs.  All the schools have already reported they are closed tomorrow.

Offline just.me

• Members
  • With us since: 22/11/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 06:45:17 PM »
Ice is the worst kind of storm.  THEY say that's what we're in for tonight and tomorrow.  With 2+ feet of snow on the ground, not fun. 
I never heard of a roof rake until this year.  I hope it just a bunch of hype cause our roof is much too high and we're just to old for this kind of crap.
Thru rain and snow and sleet and hail............hmmmmmm..........they even canceled mail this week.  I think the kids will be going to school until July. ;D
We're good to go so far.
Stay warm.  Power to the people ( electric, I mean) during the big ice.

Offline ponderer

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 10:13:20 AM »
DD is a teacher in Chicago. Had the first snow day since 1999. 2 days in fact. :D

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 08:27:30 AM »
That's really interesting.........with all the snow they get in Chicago and school keeps on going.  Ours close everytime it snows.  :-\  I guess we just arn't prepared for it.  Our son is a teacher and he has missed five days now.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"