Author Topic: Staghorn ferns  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Staghorn ferns
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:51:03 AM »
Check out the magnificent staghorn ferns at the conservatory!  I was in awe, (I'm kind of a geek about staghorns) and have killed more than I have had success with.  My current one I moved into the bathroom for the extra humidity.  Mine did wonderfully this summer hanging outside under a tree.  It takes much more moisture than what I first thought so I have been giving it more to drink and it's looking much better.  If I can only keep it alive to get it outside for the summer.....

Those brown papery fronds are a natural part of the staghorn.  They start out pale green and steadily turn brown.  I thought my fern was dying and started to pick them off.. ::) until I did some research and found that the fern lives off those fronds along with the nutrients in the air and water. 8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Staghorn ferns
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »
Lookin' good. Many years ago I visited a greenhouse that might have been built by Noah. Stuff was growing all over the place in nooks and crannies. Hanging from the overhead pipes were immense Staghorn ferns. They had put posts under them to keep the weight of the fern from wrecking the pipes.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 07:32:11 PM »
I love Staghorn Ferns too!  I see so many hanging on walls they size of a big tree or on many displays of flowers.  Why don't mine get big?  Mine stay outside under my nectarine tree year-round.  I hope they will be fine after this winter though, as it got very rainy and cold here.  Same goes for my cactus and succulents  ::)  At least they all are planted in fast draining soils.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 05:39:17 AM »
Annette, I don't think some cool weather hurts them much.  The one pic I took of the fern it had attached itself to a rock!  And that room was quite chilly!  I think they LOVE moist conditions, so anytime you can mist it the better.  Mine did so well in our hot humid summer, and it hung under a tree where my hose is attached to the hydrant.  I would mist it even a couple of times a day and it just kept putting up fronds like crazy.  They do need well draining hangers, to keep them from getting too soggy.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 11:11:26 AM »
Staghorns are also a favorite of mine.  A few years ago neighbor wanted to give me his huge staghorn fern but he said the darn thing weighed about 100lbs and I didn't have an appropriate branch or location that could handle that kind of weight.....   :o  I have a small staghorn growing on my giant bird of paradise and a mister affixed to the BOP keeps it happy.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 11:31:09 AM »
I'd love to see a pic!!   :)
LuAnn

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 12:18:05 PM »
I wish I could grow them! I've killed every one I've ever owned. Yours is really looking good!

Whenever I see pictures like this I want to try again, so I go to a terrific local nursery and buy one. Then I kill it.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 01:53:43 PM »
Here's my neighbor's staghorn fern.  I believe he originally put it in a wire basket.  The base of the plant is roughly 3' wide.  A steel chain is wrapped around a branch and attached to the plant.

Here is my little staghorn attached to a giant BOP.  Our tulip magnolia is just begining to bloom.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:55:51 PM by Mikey »

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 04:03:23 PM »
 :o at Mikey's staghorn pics!  Makes my little staghorn look pathetic.  I'm trying, but it just doesn't like my dry, home environment.  If I could get DH to build a room for orchids and ferns..... 8)   My air plants are doing good, I'm misting them more since it's so dry inside...there were many of them in the conservatory too... o(:-)
LuAnn

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"