Author Topic: Stupid Snow  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Pondering

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/03/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Stupid Snow
« on: February 02, 2011, 04:06:51 PM »
So as i looked out my bedroom window last night i noticed the aerator supplying oxygen to our little buddies was no longer visable  >:(  So being a good mommy i sent daddy outside around 11pm to find it!  His answer to keeping it clear thru the night was to place the firepit screen over it with the lid ontop (no bottom).  Good thing he did 'cause this is what i saw this morning!

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Snow
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 04:16:59 PM »
Kinda looks like a manhole cover. ;)
How much snow did you get?

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 04:22:17 PM »
So being a good mommy i sent daddy outside around 11pm to find it!
   lol at Pondering!

That's a lot of snow...I wish we had that instead of the thick ice all over everything.  Sometime in the wee hours, the temperature rose and the wind picked up and I could hear ice smacking into the windows and crashing against the house.  Most of the ice melted/blew off the trees, but it's at least and inch or more on all surfaces where you walk.  It's almost impossible to stay upright!   ::)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Pondering

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »
22"  :o   Here's a pic of our driveway...  :(  How are you doing??

Offline Pondering

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 04:30:12 PM »
Kittyzee, I am so glad we didnt get the ice you had... i think that is worse than the snow we had. 
We did have winds between 45-70 mph, which you can probably tell by the snowdrifts.  Schools are all still closed for tomorrow, and i found out i get another snowday too!  @O@

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 05:12:03 PM »
Awesome Pondering!  I love snowdays!  We are doing fine, it just takes more time to do anything outside.  And if you forget, well gravity has a way of reminding you!   lol
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 07:03:49 PM »
Wow!  That is A LOT of snow!  I really like snow but 20"+ is just too much for me.  I hope you still have power/electricity.  We only had 5" but the wind chill is what I don't like.  School was cancelled 2 days in a row.  Tomorrow morning's wind chill will be -20+ {nono}.  Of course I have to go to work by 7 am >:(-

Kuan

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 12:23:38 PM »
Everything is improving here, still lots of ice though.  Schools have been closed Tues., Wed., and Thurs.
I saw the pictures on the news of the cars stranded on Lakeshore Drive.  Scary looking stuff.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 03:48:35 PM »
Just wondering how you are doing Pondering.  That's an incredible amount of snow.  Like Karen said in another thread I haven't seen that much snow since the blizzard of '78!  I remember looking out a window and could see nothing but white and it was thundering and lightning!  I thought the world just might be coming to an end!   ::)   :)
LuAnn

Offline Pondering

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 05:37:55 PM »
Indiana Karen - Lakeshore drive was AWFUL!  They actually finished clearing the cars early this morning.  What you are probably not hearing on the news is that there were a couple accidents that caused eveyone to sit there, and then the snow drifts started.  :-\  What i thought was really cleaver was that they lifted the windshield wipers up/out when no-one was in the car so they knew which cars were abandoned and which were not  O0 that is until they brought in buses and made sure everyone got to safety.  Haven't been out today... but i hear major streets are 1 lane instread of 2, and its very hard to pull out into a street or turn because the snow is piled so high you can't see if someone is coming. 

Kittyzee -I am doing fine over here thanks for asking! :)  I am very thankful we did not lose power.  Apparently they call that snowthunder... never heard of it before now, it was a little freakish.  :D

Bad news is... were supposed to get more snow Fri night.  >:(-  I wanna know who ticked Mother Nature off!  lol

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 06:08:17 PM »
We're even supposed to get snow - and freezing sleet, hail, and other balled bits of frozen water - tonight and tomorrow night, down here in Houston!  Businesses are already planning to be closed tomorrow. 

Luckily, I have no work the rest of the week, so can sit home snug and warm and get things finished that have been long put off.

Plants in the yard are mush, though.  We South Texans have plenty of tropicals and sub-tropicals in our landscaping, and they've all been wacked by the freezing temps.  There is absolutely no water pressure, due to people keeping their faucets dripping all night long.

Offline Pondering

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 06:21:36 PM »
Oh no Julles really? :o Hang in there i'll pray your power doesn't go out.  It's actually a good idea to keep water dripping, although we don't do that, we do disconnect our garden hose from the house and cover the faucet.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 06:35:29 PM »
We didn't have any snow to speak of but I do have about 5" or 6" of ice on the tanks.   :(

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 08:13:21 PM »
Well, today, I learned to keep my mouth shut. We had some really messed up weather today. We had sleet, freezing rain, snow, and rain, not necessarily in that order. We loaded up on the van at work to go pick up some autos from the rail yard. On the way down, we went through a mix of sleet and snow. By the time we got close to Birmingham, roads were turning white and there were wrecks all over the place. It scared me to the point of buckling up, something that is not required in this state. When we got to the rail yard, the pavement was slushy where it was all melting. I got my car and headed back. Traffic was awful. The wintry mix had turned to rain and halfway back, traffic got moving faster. I've got to work tomorrow, if I'm able to get in. Also, I would have brought this up earlier but our power went out, probably due to a hazardous motorist. We built a fire in the fireplace and the water had just started boiling in the kettle for hot chocolate. It's back on now.

No more comments from me about living in the South. {nono}
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 09:03:02 PM »
Heck...I live in Texas...most people think I live in the tropics.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 05:18:25 AM »
Yup Scott, what goes around comes around!   :D  Sorry to hear of your scary road trip.  The ground here is so cold that when rain hits it, it turns to ice on contact.  And anything else it touches. 

It sounds like a lot of the country suffered from this storm, except maybe Florida and California...but they get their share of the weather nasties too.   ::)
LuAnn

Offline Loritx

• Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 08:33:04 AM »
I am just a few miles north of Dallas TX.  I shut down the waterfall 2 days ago. I was affraid of getting an Ice Dam and losing all the pond water!! Pond is pretty frozen now, I have been keeping a small hole open.  We should be starting to melt sunday!
This is the first time I have had the pond Freeze!!

I am getting tired of Friends and Family worrying about the fish!!!  I have the mind set that if they survive Fine, If not, I will just replace them in the spring!! Not much I can do for them!!
Lori TX

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 03:55:31 PM »
We got it too. If you look at the lower left part of the first pic, you can see one of the green home-made deicers. That was just before the storm after getting a few inches of lake effect snow (Tues aft).

Here is the after (Wed morn) photo of the pond. Both deicers are completely covered. We don't even know if they're still on!

Sorry for the poor quality pics, they were taken through the kitchen window.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 05:36:46 PM »
Karen, those pics look good to me!!  Who wants to go out and search for the de-icers anyway?   ;)
LuAnn

Offline Pondering

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 08:24:17 AM »
What a beautiful view out your kitchen... even if it is snow.  ::)  I'd love to see your pond without snow though  {:-P;;

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 09:45:37 AM »
What a beautiful view out your kitchen... even if it is snow.  ::)  I'd love to see your pond without snow though  {:-P;;

Thank you Kitty & Pondering. I'd like to see it too... let's hope this warm up continues!

Tom Skilling posted a link to the snow-melt animation map from NOAA:

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/js_animate.html?nsteps=24&year=2011&month=2&day=13&type=nsm_depth&region=Midwest

8)
Karen

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 10:20:47 AM »
It's easy for me to say so don't hate on me...but those photos of snow scene are beautiful!!  So peaceful and serene.  I know you are all dealing with it.  I've lived in snow country for almost 17 years before moving out here in La-La-Land.  Those were younger years when shoveling and digging out the car was no big deal.  I know it is no way I could live like that now.

Our ski trips to the mountains here require cleared roads and a maintenance team to take care of any snow or ice at any hotel we book before we take the trip!   :o

This is how I like my snow.....
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:34:08 AM by miguynmkoi »

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 09:43:39 AM »
Rub it in, Annette...  :D That pic is beautiful! I love all the palm trees with the mountains in the background, it seems an unlikely juxtaposition.

You're right, the snow is actually beautiful. Especially when you wake up in the morning to nice hot coffee and get to appreciate that blanket of pristine whiteness. I'm ready for the meltdown though.  :) Time to see some green grass.
Karen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"