Author Topic: need some advice?  (Read 1538 times)

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
need some advice?
« on: February 03, 2011, 10:24:50 AM »
Ok, I bought some of those packaged plants from Lowe's and Big Lot's a couple weeks ago, bleeding hearts, lily of the valley, hostas, lady ferns & columbines.  They have all started sprouting, growing leaves, etc.  I think it's still to early to get them planted, what should I do with them in the meantime, don't know how long they will last in the plastic bags I bought them in.  I normally would'nt buy so early, but got Spring fever!  Anyone?

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: need some advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 11:02:27 AM »
Last spring while I was at my Moms for 6 weeks who lives several zones south of me,   I bought some canna tubers that were sprouting.  I potted them up in an ice cream bucket and placed them outside.  When I was ready to come home, they were not big enough to set out but it was still too cold anyway.  I'd put them out during the day and bring them back in at night.  When it was warm enough to set them out...they had a huge head start.

Maybe...you could pot them up and use a grow light (or a South window) to give them a head start before spring, then set them in the beds after the last frost.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:32:34 PM »
Thanks Sue,

I thought about that, only problem is that I only have two windows on the South side of the house, main bedroom and masterbath.  No room to put anything in front of windows the way the rooms are. 

The way my house sits and with tall trees on the North and East sides (basically all around) and covered porch on the front (West) I hardly get any light in my house, really not good growing conditions for plants.  The second bedroom is where I am keeping my plants that I usually have on my deck (faces East) and they aren't doing so well. 

So, as much as I would love to temporarily plant them, I don't think that's an option right now.  Do you think they will be ok if just left in the bags?

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »
I've had them to mold if they are very wet and I have to keep them too long.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 08:18:35 PM »
Ok thanks!  Guess I need to get them planted in something temporarily and find somewhere to put them.  Don't want to kill them and waste all that money!

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 09:01:05 PM »
How long is it until you will be able to put them outside?

You can use a flouscent (sp) shop light for a grow light.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 10:48:45 AM »
you can make a terrarium  or a big jar over them or even a plastic bag.  Just keep your eye on them
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:43:23 PM »
Ok, well, I decided I needed to do something, so I planted them all up in cups for now.  Put them in the only room that gets a descent amount of light during the day.  Hope they will be ok.  Some were starting to get a little soft on the greens.  From now on, I will know not to buy them so early, even if temptation is killing me!  Thanks Jerry and SueTX for the advice!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 08:31:32 AM »
Those are all very hardy plants, put 'em outside. :)
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 09:58:54 PM »
Thanks LeeAnne,

I planted them outside in their new home awhile back.  They are all growing, except for one bleeding heart, it's leaves turned yellow, but I spyed new small green sprouts today!  It may take them all a while to fill in, but will look great once they do.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"