Author Topic: Do you use Facebook, Twitter and God knows what else?  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Do you use Facebook, Twitter and God knows what else?
« on: February 09, 2011, 06:25:32 PM »
ALMOST TO TRUE TO BE FUNNNY !!!!!

A good laugh for people in the over 50 group !!! 

When I bought my Blackberry, I thought about the 30-year business I ran with 1800 employees, all without a cell phone that plays music, takes videos, pictures and communicates with Facebook and Twitter. I signed up under duress for Twitter and Facebook, so my seven kids, their spouses, 13 grandkids and 2 great grand kids could communicate with me in the modern way. I figured I could handle something as simple as Twitter with only 140 characters of space.

That was before one of my grandkids hooked me up for Tweeter, Tweetree, Twhirl, Twitterfon, Tweetie and Twittererific Tweetdeck, Twitpix and something that sends every message to my cell phone and every other program within the texting world.

My phone was beeping every three minutes with the details of everything except the bowel movements of the entire next generation. I am not ready to live like this. I keep my cell phone in the garage in my golf bag.

The kids bought me a GPS for my last birthday because they say I get lost every now and then going over to the grocery store or library. I keep that in a box under my tool bench with the Blue tooth [it's red] phone I am supposed to use when I drive. I wore it once and was standing in line at Barnes and Noble talking to my wife and everyone in the nearest 50 yards was glaring at me. I had to take my hearing aid out to use it, and I got a little loud.

I mean the GPS looked pretty smart on my dash board, but the lady inside that gadget was the most annoying, rudest person I had run into in a long time. Every 10 minutes, she would sarcastically say, "Re-calc-u-lating."  You would think that she could be nicer. It was like she could barely tolerate me. She would let go with a deep sigh and then tell me to make a U-turn at the next light. Then if I made a right turn instead. Well, it was not a good relationship.
When I get really lost now, I call my wife and tell her the name of the cross streets and while she is starting to develop the same tone as Gypsy, the GPS lady, at least she loves me.

To be perfectly frank, I am still trying to learn how to use the cordless phones in our house.. We have had them for 4 years, but I still haven't figured out how I can lose three phones all at once and have run around digging under chair cushions and checking bathrooms and the dirty laundry baskets when the phone rings.

The world is just getting too complex for me. They even mess me up every time I go to the grocery store. You would think they could settle on something themselves but this sudden "Paper or Plastic?" every time I check out just knocks me for a loop. I bought some of those cloth reusable bags to avoid looking confused, but I never remember to take them in with me.

Now I toss it back to them. When they ask me, "Paper or Plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."  Then it's their turn to stare at me with a blank look. I was recently asked if I tweet. I answered, No, but I do toot a lot."

P.S. I know some of you are not over 50.  I sent it to you to allow you to forward it to those who are. 
Us senior citizens don't need anymore gadgets.  The tv remote and the garage door remote are about all we can handle.

Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Do you use Facebook, Twitter and God knows what else?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:45:24 PM »
 lol  I don't care how old you are...that's just plain funny!   o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 08:54:51 PM »
So true, Jerry!  But you gotta let all those youngsters out there know our generation has had the most technology growth within the past 40 years.  From a building size computer to tiny microchips hidden in our dogs skin, black and white green tv screens to GPS on our kids where abouts.  Oh there is so much in between.  I love all this tech stuff!

But I refuse to friend or tweet. 

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 11:45:53 AM »
This 40 yr old doesn't friend or tweet either but my 64 yr old mother knows her way around facebook!   {:-P;; ;D  My sisters called me "old" and out of date because I refused to do facebook (so they can friend me or vice versa) or tweet.  I told them I'm too busy doing pond stuff outside so I don't have time to friend them on facebook or tweet to know what they had for breakfast or lunch.   lol  But I do use my cell phone, GPS system (once in an old blue moon), and Instant Messenger so I can see my family via webcam on the internet.   :D

Kuan

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 11:53:48 AM »
 You can see lots of pictures of my lilies on Facebook.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 12:18:07 PM »
 {:-P;;  Looking at lilies is the only thing I do on facebook  o(:-)

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 03:19:13 PM »
Mike I do enjoy your photos on facebook.

What kills me is accepting a friend to be polite (no more) and then get inundated with charitiy requests.  We have pleny of needy here I don't need to go to Africa.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:12:04 AM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline turtlemike

• Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 07:03:54 AM »

I'm like you Sue I'm only interested in networking with other lily possesed people. That's all I use Facebook for.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 07:30:29 AM »
Yep, I agree with others......... love computers and a lot of the electronic gadgets, but just can't get into Facebook, tried it, didn't like it.  Tweeting is for the birds.  ;D

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 11:35:04 AM »
I'm not a gadget guy but I really enjoy Facebook because it keeps me informed as to the news of what is going on with friends and acquaintances and it is so easy to post photos.  The problem with Facebook though is that many forums such as the AP suffer because so many people spend their allotted computer time on Facebook.....   I just don't get Twitter and have no interest in trying to tweet.....

Here's proof that I'm not a gadget guy.  Several years ago we were in DC and about to tour the White House.  Prior to entering all cell phones had to be turned off.  At the time I didn't have a clue how to turn off my cell phone.  I figured there had to be a button stating "off"......   ::)  I gave my phone to the Secret Service person who was checking people in and he turned it off for me.... 

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 06:19:34 PM »
I don't Twitter, so I guess I don't tweet.  I am on Facebook, but I don't know why.  I really do not enjoy it.  I can see how people who need to connect with others who are far away would use it quite often and I think it's great for that.  I don't like most times how people "air" their private grievances...it's just not for me. :P
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 06:50:08 PM »
That was funny Jerry.
This New Years day I was at the Rose Bowl football game. The host of our group ( the guy with the car keys, so I had already decided I would not lose him) says, "When this lets out we might get separated, so here is my cel number" and starts reciting a bunch of numerals. I'm hearing white noise. He asks "Aren't you going to put them in?"
"Put them in what?" I sensibly reply.
"Your phone"
"My phone is at home attached to the kitchen wall where it has been just fine for 50 years" I explain

I hate carrying stuff around, so have never had a cel. My GPS is a folded map in the glovebox, and I park on the street because now that there is a garage door opener between my and my getting to my car, I don't trust the power to always be on during the rainy season.

I like on "on" and an "Off" switch. After that it just gets needlessly muddled.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 10:33:39 PM »
Very funny Mike.  I think I use my cell phone most when I'm inside Costco with the fetching one.  When we get separated and I am trying to find her I just call her. I got a little more gadgetty today.  The fetching one tired of me not answering my phone when I'm in the car so in today's mail arrived a Bluetooth she ordered for me. 

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 10:37:20 PM »

Mike W.
Actors are asked for their cell numbers.  When I say, "I have no cell" they look so puzzled.
I tell them I live in a cave.

We can throw in "Linkden"  and "Plaxo" to the mix.  I was told that "Networking" is important to the film business.  I will just have to get rich and famous with out it! >:(-
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 09:12:16 AM »
I think I am suspected of being some sort of communist when I say I don't have a cell. Actually, most often I can tell They know of course I have one, but I just don't want to give them my number.

I wish I was making this up, but a few years ago, Sean, on a visit down here, did discover that I, indeed, did not know how to screw in a light bulb correctly.

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 09:32:13 AM »
I'm not a gadget guy but I really enjoy Facebook because it keeps me informed as to the news of what is going on with friends and acquaintances and it is so easy to post photos.  The problem with Facebook though is that many forums such as the AP suffer because so many people spend their allotted computer time on Facebook.....   I just don't get Twitter and have no interest in trying to tweet.....

Here's proof that I'm not a gadget guy.  Several years ago we were in DC and about to tour the White House.  Prior to entering all cell phones had to be turned off.  At the time I didn't have a clue how to turn off my cell phone.  I figured there had to be a button stating "off"......   ::)  I gave my phone to the Secret Service person who was checking people in and he turned it off for me.... 

I agree with that. I sometimes spend too much time on facebook when I'd rather be here at this forum. It's like an additional layer of social responsibility. Or maybe it's the reverse? Instead of sending a Happy Birthday card in the mail, you can just say it on facebook. I do like keeping in touch with people though.
It's very confusing. If it is someone's birthday, I usually just say happy birthday. But what if I've said something potentially offensive? I once commented on someone's post and said I didn't care for Chicago pizza and pretty much got into an argument about it. My bad, but I really feel strongly about NY pizza and wish we could get it here in Chicagoland.

A friend once brought her GPS into my van when we were on a trip, and the thing was so incredibly distracting. She kept saying "look at it!",  "that is us!", "look!" "look!". No thanks, I'm trying to drive!

And on a more serious note, I've noticed a lot of swerving cars lately. Literally swerving into my lane to the point that I have to drive onto the shoulder to avoid a crash. People on their cell phones, either talking or texting. Completely oblivious. Scary stuff. It's illegal to do that here, but people still do.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 10:04:34 AM »
I wish I was making this up, but a few years ago, Sean, on a visit down here, did discover that I, indeed, did not know how to screw in a light bulb correctly.
I trust Sean isn't reading this or he may bust a stitch laughing....

Last night I was throwing away the box that my Bluetooth came in.  The Fetching Mrs. Mikey told me to cut off the UPC for the refund.  I said "What's a UPC?"  She then responded with the question that every husband hates to hear, "Are you for real?  You don't know what a UPC is?"  ......I always called them bar codes.....

The great thing about Facebook is the "Hide" feature where you can hide people.  If someone is too political in their comments, hide them.  If someone uses Facebook like Twitter and is constantly giving updates throughout the day that you are not interested in, hide them.  And of course if someone just plain turns out to be a jerk then you can "Unfriend" them.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 10:30:32 AM »
Funny Mike W!  I finally got my DH to "crossover" to using a cell phone.  Now I can't get him to stop texting me all day long.  If I don't answer him right away he calls to make sure I'm alright!  'Can be infuriating.

Also teaching Dh to use any gadget is like inventing the thing itself again  >:(-  Too many questions of why it should have been done like this or that.  My answer, we coulda been rich if you came up with it first!  I feel for the Fetching One.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 11:32:41 AM »
Unfriending on facebook is not always easy.  I did one but still see comments from him albiet rarely.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 11:41:16 AM »
I have 'hidden' many people who asked to be friends:  their frequent posts on everything from politics, religion, or what they did and who with and how they felt about it prompted me to just 'hide' them.  They only people left were the people I talk with on a regular basis anyway so I figure why bother?  Maybe it's younger folks who need to share what they ate, who they are fighting with and why, who they are seeing this week, who they broke up with and won't ever do that again only to be seeing a new person in the next couple of days--I just got pretty "edgy" feeling I was some type of voyeur.   I just don't think these are things people should be posting on their 'walls' for everyone to read.  Sending people private messages would be more appropriate, but there is a different level of 'appropriateness' these days.   ::)
LuAnn

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
Funny Mike W!  I finally got my DH to "crossover" to using a cell phone.  Now I can't get him to stop texting me all day long. 
A few weeks ago, while looking at my cell phone, I was complaining to my wife that I was tired of getting calls from people who don't bother to leave a voice mail message.  I handed her the phone and she looked at the screen, took a deep breath and sighed.  "These are TEXT messages!" she said.  I don't text.  I don't know how to text nor do I want to know how to text.  She then cleared out a dozen or more text messages off my phone.  She then used her phone to text a few of my friends who had texted me and told them NOT to text her Neanderthal husband any more.  Hmmmm, I somehow don't think her comment was in my favor....

LuAnn:  I seldom see anything that is real personal or nasty.  I do see prayer requests from time to time but none of them have been anything like: "Please pray for sister Nancy who is screwing the pastor."   lol  I do see some immature gibberish from the children of friends.  I either unfriend them or give them a time-out and hide them for a while.  I am guilty of posting a political comment from time to time.

Since responding to this thread I have had to enter several words into my spell-check dictionary because it did not recognize them....(texting, unfriend, texted, unfriending)   :D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"