Author Topic: Are my ponds too small to put this many plants?  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Spindrift

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/02/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Are my ponds too small to put this many plants?
« on: February 22, 2011, 05:12:05 PM »
In a previous post I asked for suggestions for hardy water lilies for my half barrel pond.  Since then I have ordered some plants but am worried I will be overcrowded.
For the half barrel pond I will put a Perry's baby red but I also wanted to mix it with a water poppy.  I have a feeling this will be too much in such a small space.  Do you agree? 
My other pond which is a little smaller will contain a Helvola which I wanted to mix with a 4 leaf clover plant.  Would that be too many plants for that space?
I am mainly concerned about the mix of Perry's with the water poppy though.  I thought they would look so beautiful together, but if the half barrel is too small to contain both of them I may start another pond for the poppy!  I would love to hear your thoughts!

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Are my ponds too small to put this many plants?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:19:09 AM »
the thing about water poppy and clover is that they are one of those plants that take a mile if you give them an inch...you have to make sure and keep them thinned down so they don't kill out the lilies--I find small lilies like that do best if they are the only floating leaf plant--instead of the water poppy and clover I'd go with an upright growing plant so they can't crowd out the lilies...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 01:27:08 PM »
I agree with Lawanna.  The cover especially will take over, really quick!
Tammie

Offline Spindrift

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/02/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 12:00:10 AM »
That's what I thought you were going to say!  What about an oxygenating plant to go under the water?  Any good recommendations - is it necessary or not?  My current pond is pretty murky right now, I can't see very far into it....I'm getting ready to clean it all out and start fresh.  I also have frogs in my garden and they have already started mating.....just yesterday I counted over 100 new eggs in the pond.  There are also still a few tadpoles left from last Spring.  Ugh, I did not want the frogs to start mating again until I changed the water and put new plants in!  Right now all I have in there is 4 leaf clover plants and they are almost gone....very straggly and falling apart.  This pond has not received any care at all, but has supported frog eggs and numerous tadpoles for the last year.  There are a couple of snails but thats it.  I know there just has to be a lot of sludge at the bottom, and I can't imagine these new eggs surviving with the pond in this state.  I plan to take them out and put them back in after I've cleaned it out and added the new water lily, just hoping they'll make it!  I appreciate any suggestions anyone can give me to keep a low maintenance pond of this size.  I want it to be like a natural ecosystem, which it has been, but I want it to be healthier with clearer water and to be able to achieve this in the most natural, low maintenance way possible (and with as few products as possible).  Thanks for your advice!

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
I wouldn't do oxygenating plants either unless it were a small container of dwarf saggitaria....These little lilies are sooo easy to crowd out and kill...I keep both my helvola and pygmy lily in a tub by themselves with a couple of mosquito fish to control the squitters....if the algae begins to take hold I add an ounce or two of hydrogen peroxide to kill it back-this doesn't hurt the lilies or the squeeter fish....also when I first start Helvola out I place them really close to the surface--maybe only 6" from the surface untill they get plenty of growth.....the warmer the rhizome the more growth you will get...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 02:56:08 PM »
Perry's Baby Red is a fantastic waterlily but the name is rather misleading. It isn't that small. Mine spreads the entire width and length of the small pond it is in about 4' long by 3' wide and the pads pile up on the edges. I think it would be bigger in a bigger pond. It is a great bloomer for me and I love the color but it is nowhere near as small as Helvola. Joann Pring is though....something to consider.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"