Author Topic: Butterfly koi 10 " disappesared  (Read 4274 times)

Offline big ron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/01/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Butterfly koi 10 " disappesared
« on: March 07, 2011, 05:08:02 AM »
As spring is nearing here in Md I can not wait to get working outside with my pond.  This is only my first spring so I am really excited about getting it planted.  My pond is 2800 gal , 3' deep with a small 1' plant shelf.    I have 15 butterfly koi in the pond and I watch them every day slowing starting to wake up from winter.  My question is :  the biggest and prettiest koi has just disappeared from the pond.  This fish was aleast 10".    Is a blue heron capable of getting such a large fish out of the pond?    Due to winter these fish are on the bottom and even if it stood on the shelf, it wood still have to reach 2' into the pond.   Is this possible ? How about a racoon?   Will a heron come within 10' of my house ?   If so he may be in trouble.       Any help would be appreciated    Thanks      Still learning

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Butterfly koi 10 " disappesared
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 05:17:20 AM »
I have been lucky so far (that's me knocking on wood  :)), and have not been visited by the heron.  BUT, there are many here who have and if I remember correctly, there's not much that a heron won't go for.  There are ways to make them not find your pond attractive however, and hopefully they will comment and help you.  And yes a heron will come within 10 feet of your house.   :P
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 05:07:33 PM »
I've had egrets and green herons visit my pond close enough I could see their beady eyes!  My ponds are now netted, heavily, but they still come to view my feeshies!  Luckily no losses.

Hopefully your fish is hiding really well.  I would think these herons and egrets can reach down and catch an innocent swimmer at a very far depth.

Offline big ron

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 03:24:00 AM »
I've had egrets and green herons visit my pond close enough I could see their beady eyes!  My ponds are now netted, heavily, but they still come to view my feeshies!  Luckily no losses.

Hopefully your fish is hiding really well.  I would think these herons and egrets can reach down and catch an innocent swimmer at a very far depth.

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:04:18 PM »
yes, a heron can stab a lift a fish that size, if they can't they just stab it behind the eye and leave it for dead.

My koi pond stays netted after losing one that size.

Offline big ron

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 08:41:26 AM »
yes, a heron can stab a lift a fish that size, if they can't they just stab it behind the eye and leave it for dead.

Offline big ron

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:47:27 AM »

Thanks for the info.  I am really attached to these fish so when that happened it is really upsetting.  I will take your advice and install a net. 

Offline cindy

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:27:09 AM »
here's an old pic of my pond and netting.  Hubby heated some pvc pipe and it folds in the middle.  Lifts off easily for company

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 10:42:08 AM »
Very Nice, Cindy!  Ooh, idea coming on!  Thanks!

Offline cindy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 12:18:32 PM »
Very Nice, Cindy!  Ooh, idea coming on!  Thanks!

I just use the cheap netting from Lowe's, I attached it with the plastic zip ties.  Easy to replace the net.  Also in the winter it keeps my solar cover from blowing off.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 02:22:34 PM »
My Dad had all his koi mysteriously disappear too and they were also large. Usually when he goes away for a spell he comes back to find one or two gone or injured (which then die).  He had a problem with racoons for a while and installed netting and chicken wire barriers all around the pond.  The last trip he came back to find all koi gone, and all talapia still there!  No fish heads or bones anywhere in sight, so ruling out racoon. Netting was still intact so ruling out herons.  In his case I think some neighbors who knew he was out may have taken them...as bad as a thought that might be, nothing else makes any sense...

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline big ron

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 05:52:13 AM »
Thanks for all the info.  I am new at ponding and still learning----- sometimes the hard way

Cindy:  Your pond  is very simular to mine in size and looks.  ( Very nice )  Will send you pics of mine as soon as all the plants are in. 

Offline cindy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 12:09:29 PM »
My Dad had all his koi mysteriously disappear too and they were also large. Usually when he goes away for a spell he comes back to find one or two gone or injured (which then die).  He had a problem with racoons for a while and installed netting and chicken wire barriers all around the pond.  The last trip he came back to find all koi gone, and all talapia still there!  No fish heads or bones anywhere in sight, so ruling out racoon. Netting was still intact so ruling out herons.  In his case I think some neighbors who knew he was out may have taken them...as bad as a thought that might be, nothing else makes any sense...

Some people eat koi, I know thats sad

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 08:17:15 AM »
That's a nice setup Cindy.

I have given up on having fish of any size or quality.  I have goldfish and a few small koi that the heron hasn't caught yet.  I don't want to mess with a net........so I guess its a trade-off....no net, no nice fish.  :'(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"