Author Topic: Running water... :)  (Read 1000 times)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Running water... :)
« on: March 14, 2011, 08:19:40 AM »
Yesterday my hubby was able to get a pump in the pond (with a broken hand to boot) and get the skimmer & TT up and running. It had been non-operational since mid-December. There is still quite a bit of ice on the pond, cant see the fish yet. But we noticed immediately that the birds and critters came back to the stream and haven't left since.

We'll have a massive cleaning this spring and we ain't no spring chickens anymore. There is a lot of creaking in the bones lately. :(
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Running water... :)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 11:21:33 AM »
I know what you are saying about not being a sping chicken. We built our ponds when we younger and now I have figured out less is more.  That is one of the reasons we got rid of our bog. Too much work! Too much thinning out of plants and back flushing etc.  My Pond Vac 3 and good filters have made life so much easier.  It is nice to see the birds and other things begin to perk up for Spring

Happy Ponding!
Cindy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 03:59:26 AM »
My Mom said that all the ice is gone on our pond now and she could see all the fish. ;D
Kathy

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 01:38:28 PM »
Now that the snow is melting, I'm able to see a few fish. Unfortunately I see two dead frogs that I can't quite get to.

Happens every spring. The frogs go into the skimmer for no good reason in the fall, and they end up dead. Dumb frogs. :-\
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"