Author Topic: Very scary experience  (Read 1779 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Very scary experience
« on: March 16, 2011, 08:25:37 PM »
A cousin from Ca. was in town this past weekend and we drove down to Missouri and spent a couple days with another cousin. Mo. cousin and hubby have a 1 yr. old Catahoula dog, vey sweet natured dog. Us 3 girl cousins were home alone Friday evening when Mo. cousin grabbed a towel to clean up a spot where her dog had thrown up on the carpet. Ca. cousin and I were just visiting with each other when we heard growling. I looked towards Mo. cousin just as the dog jumped her. She was on the floor cleaning and the dog grabbed her by the back of the neck and was snarling and growling like crazy. I was only about 5 feet away but by the time I got to them and grabbed the dog by the collar he had biten her in 2 spots on the back of her neck and a couple times each on both arms and 1 hand. Holy cow!!! Very scary! As soon as I grabbed the collar he released and looked as confused as us girls did. Cousin went to ER and got staples in 1 neck wound and butterfly bandages on the arm and hand wounds. None of us have any idea what triggered him to do this. I'm just glad she wasn't home alone. Can you imagine how much worse it could have been if no one was there to pull him off?
zone 5b

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Very scary experience
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:59:02 PM »
Wow!  That's terrible!  What kind of dog was it, might explain it!  Hope she's ok!

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 09:02:43 AM »
My Goodness,what if it was an infant.....
Id get rid of the dog quickly.  Just can't take a chance {nono}
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »
It's a Catahoula breed. They are herding dogs, look similar to Rottweilers but thinner build. They are not aggressive dogs by nature, they are bred to herd cattle, sheep, etc. so have to be mellow so they aren't prone to attack the livestock. Cousins haven't said what their plans are with him. I am a HUGE dog nut but I would be on alert constantly after those actions.
zone 5b

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 10:04:35 AM »
Whoa!  That IS scary.  I've not heard of that breed, will have to look it up.  I wonder if he had a seizure or something...anyway, I'm afraid that dog would be gone.  Maybe back to the breeder.  Have they had it very long?

My youngest daughter's boyfriend has an Anatolian Shepherd--HUGE dog.  He is a herd dog, but boyfriend has him in the HOUSE...sometimes,  ?)(?  I seriously do not trust this dog -- you can tell by the way he 'watches' you when you get up or move around.  He probably weighs 150-200 pounds. 

I found the info below and thought I'd post it and because it's almost identical to the temperament of the dog I was talking about above.  Daughter's boyfriend is not a forceful or dominant personality--I think that these breeds NEED to have a dominant person that they look up to as a leader.  The other thing is that your friend was on her hands and knees, which was probably a submissive posture to this particular breed and he was showing his dominance.  Jeez, that is just scary!

The Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog is independent, protective, and territorial. Loving with their family and all people they know well but can be reserved with strangers (this would include strange children). Socialize them well preferably at a young age. They need to be allowed to come up and smell a person.  They mature right around 2 years of age. Affectionate with his master. The Catahoula is not recommended for an owner who does not take the pack leader issue seriously. For the right owner, who understands the importance of structure, leadership, and exercise the Catahoula can make a wonderful pet. The objective in training this dog is to achieve a pack leader status. It is a natural instinct for a dog to have an order in their pack. When we humans live with dogs, we become their pack. The entire pack cooperates under a single leader. Lines are clearly defined and rules are set. Because a dog communicates his displeasure with growling and eventually biting, all other humans MUST be higher up in the order than the dog. The humans must be the ones making the decisions, not the dogs. That is the only way your relationship with your dog can be a complete success. This breed needs a dominant owner who shows strong leadership.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:13:48 AM by Kittyzee »
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 04:17:33 PM »
LuAnn, that's what made this situation so weird. My cousin's husband has spent lots of time training this dog. He makes him sit every time anyone comes in the house. While we were there he (husband) would enter the house every time before anyone and make the dog sit when we came in even though we had been around him already. They got him as a very young pup and he's a bit over a year. They said he has NEVER shown any aggression before. A couple hours before this happened we were all outside laughing at him chasing bubbles around the yard. Very, very weird.

I just happened to think...do I seem to have more weird experiences than most people? House fires, son getting robbed by thugs, airplane fiascos, cousin 's dog attacking her while I was visiting.....and the list could go on. I always say my life is never dull.
zone 5b

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »
It sounds like everybody has done all the right things with this dog.  I am one of those people who tries to find reasons for everything  ::) and sometimes there is just no knowing why something happens.  I feel so bad for your cousin and her family--dogs aren't just pets, they are family too.  Keep us posted on the outcome.  How is your cousin doing, btw? 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:46:21 AM by Kittyzee »
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
I heard from my cousin (Lori) today and she says she feels pretty good, still lots of bruises but all wounds are healing well. The staples will be removed next Monday. They haven't decided what to do with the dog yet. Her husband is talking to some dog experts for their opinions. It would be a hard decision....like you said, they are family members, but I don't think I could feel comfortable around him since none of us saw this coming so don't know what triggered it.
zone 5b

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 11:42:02 AM »
either get rid of dog or buy a really good liability insurance policy .

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 01:08:59 PM »
Cath , you must err on the side of caution.  It could have been wose, a lot wose!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 01:19:04 PM »
You bet, Jerry! And like you said earlier...what if it had been an infant or child?
zone 5b

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 07:58:35 AM »
Catherine, you have a very exciting life indeed!  But you like it on the dangerous side I think  :D. Glad your cousin is feeling better.  I don't care what anyone says about their big beautiful part of the family dogs.....big dogs ARE scary to me no matter how well trained they are.

My dad used to have trained German Shepards for security purposes at warehouse.  He use to tell us kids to never go near them or think they will play.  We've seen what they can do to trespassers.  :o

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"