Author Topic: 58 degree water-perfect temp for a dip in the pond?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
58 degree water-perfect temp for a dip in the pond?
« on: March 28, 2011, 04:30:56 PM »
From personal experience--I can answer this question with a big fat NO  >:(-.....I need to pull Fred and Ginger from the pond and give them a good one over and there is a large plastic picnic table smack dab in the middle of the pond with 2 sand stones on it to hold it in place--No I wasn't thinking of this when I put it in there but, I can't seine the pond to catch them with a picnic table in there  ::)....

So I put on my swimsuit and I'm standing on the edge freezing to death already---knowing I need to go in--not wanting to because as I said I'm Freezing--with only my feet in the water.....What does Mr. Thomas do--He is standing behind and gives a shove >:(---as I'm falling into that cold cold cold water...I can no longer talk at this point I have a mouth full of salty water  and my feet can not get a foot hold because of all the slimy algae....I spit out the water--and now I'm gasping from the cold water and I make my way over to the table...

I lift one rock and barely get it over to the side of the pond where John is--all I can get out between the gasping is "Get Rock"....now for the bigger rock---Nope I can't lift it---I swear it can't weigh over 20 lbs. but, I physically can not lift it...so I let it fall to the bottom of the pond--Up floats the table....I shove it Johns way and he gets it out...

O.K. now to get me out...I get this gawd awful feeling that I don't have the strength to pull myself ou  :(t--REALLY--REALLY I can't pull myself up :-\...thank goodness I was wasn't stupid enough to do this without John because he had to pull me out....I make a b-line for the house and into the shower  :clap:--

Now that I'm all done--I have to admit I'm nuts...totally nuts to do this for a couple of fish :tease:...Oh and John is in the dog house for pushing me in  &-)
Would I do it again? Well yes ..cause I love my fish but, John would have to push me in again--I could not make myself jump into that cold of water again
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: 58 degree water-perfect temp for a dip in the pond?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 04:34:57 PM »
I'm glad you've got that little job finished.  (I hope the falling rock didn't do any damage to the liner)

Did you catch Fred and Ginger yet?

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 05:16:07 PM »
Sue no it didn't hurt anything...the whole point of me going in was so that we didn't drop one of the rocks on the bottom drains... we are going to pull them both tomarrow evening...Its nothing new--we ususally have to give shots to both of them every spring...I was hoping the new pond would solve that problem but, apparently it didn't....
Lawanna

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 10:12:37 PM »
We need the video! @O@
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:42:31 AM »
You definitely LOVE your wet pets to brave that cold water  :o :D O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 06:40:22 AM »
I think they should make you an honorary member of the polar bear club! ;D
Kathy

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 09:12:39 AM »
You are now aka The Brave One!  o( If John had video'd your momentous love for Fred and Ginger I'm sure we could raise enough $$ to make the dog house comfortable.   :D

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 09:47:18 AM »
Oh Yes he said to me last night--You should have seen the look on your face....But, then he said that he was afraid I was about to have a heart attack once I came up  lol....guess we can laugh about it now but, boy your shure not laughing while your in there  :o....
Lawanna

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 06:09:29 PM »
I once fell out of my boat, head first into 55 degree water trying to catch an unattended fishing pole with a fish on the other end. It was all I could manage to swim to the ladder at the other end of the boat. I thought my son was going to fall in himself he was laughing so hard. I did manage to grab the pole as I went in and the fish once I drug myself out.

Why do you have the picnic table in the pond?
Tom

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 06:28:22 PM »
I'm so glad Tom asked that question!  I tried typing that reply 3 times last night, but could not get it to post--I gave up!!   :o
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 06:37:49 PM »
Well my thought behind having it there was so they would have a hidey hole....this is a koi pond with no plants and it was new to them so I thought if they had a hidey hole then they would be less likely to jump...
  I pulled both Fred and Ginger today and I addressed some missing scales and both got shots...nothing new to them--they usually need shots every spring...they are my two delicate flowers ::).....
   Tom I would have panicked for shure if I had fell out of a boat...I was panicking enough because I just didn't have the strenghth to pull myself out...I was thinking we were gonna have to call my BIL--who was on call at the time at the fire station  ::)....I would have just died if he had to come pull me out  lol
Lawanna

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 06:15:42 AM »
58F is wayyyy too cold for me!  Glad Fred and Ginger got their shots.  My heart did skip a bit when I saw the topic of the thread, thinking you were so brave to go into such cold water by yourself.  John helped you and now both of you can laugh about it.   {:-P;; ;D

DS fell into the pond last year in summer.  I have never seen my husband walked/ran so fast in my life.  It was 2 strides and he was in the pond yanking him out of it with 1 hand!  My son was shocked that dad came to his rescue so fast that he even stopped crying for a while.  He was always a careful lad so when asked how he fell into the pond, he said his sister pushed him in!   {:-P;; ;)  Needless to say his sister was grounded.   {nono}

Thanks Tom for asking that question about why the table was in the pond.  I thought it was to provide a shelter for the koi but wasn't sure. 

Kuan

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 07:44:56 AM »
Ohh my Lawanna you are brave ! 58* water is too cold for me .
Jeff would've pushed me in too if I had to get into the pond , then he would've taken pictures.....LOL
Fred & Ginger are very lucky koi to have someone like you to take such good care of them .

bonnie

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 03:46:55 PM »
Brrrrrrrrrrr, I'm cold just thinking about it.  We started a cleanout of our pond today, stood for a while discussing who was going in, hubby or I.  He reluctantly volunteered, because he thought he would last longer.  He wore waders, they were suctioned on so tight by the time he got out that we like to never got them off of him!  lol

Offline Holldoll

• Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 08:52:36 PM »
I was just trying to convince DH to go in the pond this weekend to pull up all the lilies to repot and fertilize them (my excuse is that I'm 35 weeks pregnant and couldn't possible lift the pots).  Let's see if he'll do it! 

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 08:57:18 AM »
Holly don't you dare try to get in that pond....those lilies can wait....and you would never forgive yourself if you hurt either you or the baby....
Lawanna

Offline Holldoll

• Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 08:58:42 AM »
There's no way I would get it.  My balance is too off I would just end up swimming (although now that the swelling has started that doesn't sound too bad)!

Offline just.me

• Members
  • With us since: 22/11/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 06:10:27 PM »
Pond water is still below 40*  here.  Hey, 50, 58 *  that's still surely real cold.  Brave souls for going/dipping in.  Damn it snowed again today.
Holl, no place for you to be.   Me neither. 
Can't wait for the flip flops to come out of storage @O@

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"