Author Topic: My lamb drowned  (Read 3079 times)

Offline carolynm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My lamb drowned
« on: March 30, 2011, 12:22:55 PM »
I can't believe I'm writing this. I had a 10 day old bottle baby lamb just drown in my ornamental pond. I found her floating, tried to resuscitate with no luck.  >:(- I'm heartbroken.

I have a raised pond about 18-24" deep about 3 feet across attached to my deck.  I  have really enjoyed my pond but am now doubting its safety. I love animals and always have something I"m raising.  I don't think covering it is an option because then how do you grow anything in it?  We always put a  large branch or plank in our water troughs so if a squirrel or something falls in they have something to grab and get out. Does anyone have any ideas of how one could cover or what I could put in it to make a safe exit for animals.

I feel like I"m closing the gate after the horse has fled.  Maybe posting this will generate some ideas that might save another animal in the future.

Thanks

Carolyn

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My lamb drowned
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 12:53:14 PM »
Carolyn, I'm soooooo sorry!  :'(

Can you fence around your pond in any way?
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 12:55:22 PM »
Carolyn I'm soo sorry...you may think about putting a pretty little white or black picket fence around it...We have a 5' deep pond and thats what we are doing...for now it has black landscaping fabric all around untill we can afford the fencing....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline carolynm

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 01:25:11 PM »
I don't think a fence would work as it's a raised pond in a corner off the deck. A little ornate fence might work but if something can jump onto my deck it'd be able to jump over the little ornate fence...

I've been thinking maybe some netting stretched tight so it wouldn't sag into the water and wrapped over the lip of the pond might work? I'd like something I could removee so I can work in the pond. But then I fear the netting might stretch/fray/dryrot and then I'd have to deal with an animal getting caught in it and still managing to drown.
There has to be something I can do to make this safer.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 03:55:22 PM »
Laguna makes a really nice strong netting....it used to only come in green  :(...but, not it comes in black  @O@....my nephew was around 2 years old and jumped into mine but, I had the netting and he got wet but it did hold him....We have 2 goats and one runs loose most of the time and our deepest two are 3' and 5' deep....he is 160 lbs. so no net would hold him...thats why we plan on doing the 3' wooden picket or metal fence around it...but, untill I can afford it I have shade cloth up 3' high all around it.......
Lawanna
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 04:10:33 PM by tranquility »

Offline carolynm

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 05:04:47 PM »
Perhaps I could try that then.  This poor wee thing was only about 6 pounds. Anything would have held her, I just never thought she could get up there. Now I know better.

I think I'll be keeping my above ground pool covered when not in use now too...my cats love to walk the edges but one slip and they'd be in and would only be able to get out via the ladder.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 03:36:00 AM »
Sorry about your baby lamb  :'(

Maybe 4 foot tall metal mesh fencing to circle around the pond to act like a fence with netting over the top.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 06:35:54 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby lamb.  :'(  May be put up some tree stakes or other tall poles then put/wrap net around and/or over the pond?

Kuan

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 07:13:09 AM »
So heartbreaking about your sweet lamb.   :'(  I think all suggestions would be good, I have no new ones to offer.  The liners do get so slick and I had a racoon get in mine and drown--who would ever think that a racoon wouldn't be able to get out--just grab the rocks and pull himself out? 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 07:35:39 AM »
Sorry about the lamb.

We had a month old puppy drown in his mothers water bowl once.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 10:51:23 AM »
Poor baby lamb.  :'(  Hugs for you.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 11:18:03 AM »
 :'( I am so sorry to hear about your lamb. I have had a bird drown in ours and it just broke my heart.
Kathy

Offline carolynm

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 09:30:59 AM »
All good ideas -but I'm wondering if any can be done without making the pond an eye sore. I'm thinking I should take it down and perhaps make an inground pond with nice gradual edges...

Offline just.me

• Members
  • With us since: 22/11/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 06:28:05 PM »
So sorry for all that have lost a critter to their pond.
We have a brook running thru our property. We didn't put it there.  No way to protect that either. Skeletal remains on the shore sometimes.  Not fair but it happens, still I hate it....but?
PS  Saw a fisher cat last week.  I could take care of that.  Ya' think? 

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 06:49:58 PM »
I don't know, it depends...what's a fisher cat? 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 09:45:40 AM »
Maybe you could construct one or 2 platforms under the water that something could climb up onto if they were in it. It could hang over the edge of the raised pond and into the water.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 08:51:23 AM »
Sorry about your lamb.  :'(

My sister used custom cut lattice. The lattice is cut so it rests on all edges of the pond and can be weighted down with a heavy rock. They take it off when they're home and put it on at night & when they're away.

I've often thought about doing that. Or maybe use a large powder-coated metal grid that can be installed just under the water's surface.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline carolynm

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 06:35:54 AM »

My sister used custom cut lattice. The lattice is cut so it rests on all edges of the pond and can be weighted down with a heavy rock. They take it off when they're home and put it on at night & when they're away.

I've often thought about doing that. Or maybe use a large powder-coated metal grid that can be installed just under the water's surface.

Ooh..I like the thought of putting it just under the water...and I imagine the lillies etc would come up right through a grate. And the lattice on top -a simple but effective solution.

I thought about putting islands in the pond but I really don't have room...and I did have containers submerged still and the crates I put the containers on all in the pond..I imagine the poor little thing got cold quickly, she may have had some support but not enough...I think I'll stick to keeping things out entirely.  All good ideas and please if you have critters around...implement them and save a life!

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 09:00:22 AM »

Ooh..I like the thought of putting it just under the water...and I imagine the lillies etc would come up right through a grate. And the lattice on top -a simple but effective solution.

I thought about putting islands in the pond but I really don't have room...and I did have containers submerged still and the crates I put the containers on all in the pond..I imagine the poor little thing got cold quickly, she may have had some support but not enough...I think I'll stick to keeping things out entirely.  All good ideas and please if you have critters around...implement them and save a life!
how would the fish come up to eat? you maybe able to find sinking pellets though ....
Lawanna

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 11:28:17 PM »
So sorry, Carolyn.

Offline jax

• Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 01:15:08 PM »
Oh, this is so sad and such a tragedy.  I'm sorry for you.  I have often found mice and moles dead in my skimmer after winter is over.  They must just fall in there and drown and I don't know any way to prevent it.  I have netting clear into there but they fall in some how.  I have often seen squirrels, groundhogs and possom's come and get a drink at my pond and if they fell in I'd probably never know it happened until I found the tragic results.  I have no way to put any type of barrier up around the water.  They come because they need to drink.  I never thought of anything larger than a mouse falling in.  I'm sorry this happened to you.
Jax

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 02:38:34 PM »

Now that's a good idea!
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Jennie in MT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • C'mon! Pucker up for a little fishy kiss!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 09:33:46 PM »
We have toyed with the idea of using cattle panel custom cut to the size of the pond edge. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"