Author Topic: I am sooooo disgusted and disappointed  (Read 2499 times)

Offline LostInWestTexas

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/03/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I am sooooo disgusted and disappointed
« on: April 02, 2011, 09:12:16 PM »
in my "local" pond center. I called last week to ask about her plants, and she said everything was out, due to our super warm temps (it's been in the 90's since the beginning of March.) I specifically told her how far I was coming from, and she said everything I could ever want was looking lovely.

So, we drive an hour and a half over there. And wow. Her actual ponds looked great. The ponds holding the plants for sale... not so great. There is string algae choking everything, and clinging to all the lilies. One tank had lilies and fish, and was the color of strong tea, no pump, no filter, nada. Too bad, I would have bought 4 of the fish in there on the spot. They had gorgeous markings. But. I couldn't tell if they were healthy or not. She had several umbrella plants, all in various stages of death. Nothing else. She said it would be several more weeks before anything else was out.  {nono}

She had the fish in a greenhouse, in huge stock tanks. Water color was horrible, you couldn't make out what any of the fish looked like at the bottom. There were at least 4 dead fish floating in every pond. Apparently, they occasionally scoop out the dead ones and fling them to the side of the walkway, or wherever happens to be easiest. There was old fish bodies every where. The coup de gras, was as we were walking out the door of the fish house, my 9 yr old son stepped on a huge goldfish, maybe 8 or 9 inches. That had been laying there maybe 4 or 5 days. Nasty, nasty, nasty. He almost left them a present, and he walked back to the truck in his socks. Shoes were thrown in a trashcan conveniently located outside the door. Maybe this was a common problem?

Her pond supplies were located in a quaint old cabin, that had no light, except from the open door. Probably so you couldn't read the prices. A barley bale was 35$. THIRTY-FIVE DOLLARS!!!!! Really? Wow. Her de-chlorinator was $29. For maybe 6 oz. Who knows, maybe I misread and it was actually liquid gold?

After touring the whole facility, she finally shows up. We shall leave unsaid the things I told her. Just use your imagination.... >:(-  ~ I'm glad my kids were in the truck already, my DH hurried them off when he saw her arriving.....

Needless to say, I am planning to buy most of my plants off of the wonderful members here. I am planning a trip to Albuquerque (6 hr drive, one way) to visit the Albuq. Water Gardens, whom my mother has used for years. At least I KNOW I can count on her fish/plants to be super healthy and in fantastic shape. P.S., if anyone is ever there, swing by. Her place is a desert oasis, and I vouch for her completely.

So, in conclusion, Never. Ever. use Natural Ponds and Gardens in Odessa, TX. Unless, perhaps, you ARE in the market for algae and dead fish.  ::)

P.S.S. - I did happen to find mini-cattails and an odd plant (can't remember the name) at Lowe's, in the pond section. I would normally pass, but they were growing like crazy in the container, and stood straight up within 5 minutes of removing them from the bag. Wish them luck!  :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 09:14:53 PM by LostInWestTexas »
~ Lisa
I'd agree with you,
But then we'd both be wrong....

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I am sooooo disgusted and disappointed
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 04:08:08 AM »
 Sorry to hear about the place being run so poorly.  I would think you could report them to the health department for leaving the dead fish on the ground.  It is sad that the fish are treated so poorly.  If you wait patiently, there are several members that will offer extras for sale or trade, even freebies sometimes.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 04:24:46 AM »
How disapointing to drive all that way and hope to bring home some beautiful plants, only to find a dump and return empty handed. I feel for you.
Kathy

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 05:59:57 AM »
There is opportunity to get fish from some members here. Not sure if they post in the trader section or the goldfish & fancy fish section. Try a search.
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 06:00:48 AM »
Wow, I'm so sorry for your wasted trip.  That bothers me about the way they care for their fish.  I guess I really am lucky to live so close to a wonderful ponding/fish place.  Just by luck really, but you can check them out online--Green Vista Water Gardens in New Carlisle, Ohio.  I got a wonderful catalog last week and found out they are open year round now!  Woo Hoo!  I can get a pond fix in the middle of winter!  8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 06:14:08 AM »
how awful--thats just sad....poor fish.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 07:38:48 AM »
I understand your pain.  When my son was in college  we would go back and forth to Austin  There was a place that had signs all the way back and I finally coaxed my husband to make the treck to locate it.  We followed signs on dirt roads and finally came to a stop.  The also raised chickens there and when you got out of the car the smell just took over.  The one good thing is they had good lilies but that just about it.   I will stick to Nelson's in Katy and also purchase with members here.  Also Webbs's as been wonderful.  I know you were dissapointed. 

Zoe

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 08:30:19 AM »
Horrible trip.....but at least it left you with a great story to share.....  I too would have been quite irritated if I spent fuel for a wasted 3 hour trip...

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 08:25:47 AM »
I would be furious with that wasted drive.

I am lucky that I live near Hughes Water Gardens which is an outstanding source for plants but truly most of my plants came from members of this forum at half the price or less.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 07:57:31 PM »
In Memphis Trees by Touliatos sells water gardening plants. Every time I go down there, besides
plentiful algae,  they seem  to have a fine infestation of China marker moths. Nope -- won't buy
from them either.   Sorry you had bad experience.  But you'll wind up like me--just won't go back
there.  I will only buy from a select few nurseries that I am familiar with.  Sure don't want to bring
some  disease or fungus in here; would be very expensive to  replace my  many plants.

Marie Fisher
Memphis  Tn

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 06:29:32 AM »
So sorry for your recent pond store experience, it sounds horrible... Feel really bad for the fish there.   :(  It has to be unhealthy to have dead fish every where for people to step on.   {nono}  Glad you are going to NM and can count on their fish and plants.  I have purchased plants from forum members and they are absolutely great (both people and plants).   O0  I know Tracy (she is located in Kansas City) sells wakins and I think Kat (Dallas, TX) sells watonai when they are available.  Good luck to you fish and pond plants hunt!

Kuan

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 08:19:43 AM »
LeeAnn once took us to Hughes.  It is a fun place even if you are just looking!
First class!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline LostInWestTexas

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 09:48:07 PM »
A question about shipping fish....... how does that work? They don't die from shock, or getting sloshed around? I got a pond plant from greenthumbs the other day, and it looked like the PO used it for soccer practice. Not sure I'd want to put fish thru that.  :)
~ Lisa
I'd agree with you,

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 11:41:22 AM »
A question about shipping fish....... how does that work? They don't die from shock, or getting sloshed around? I got a pond plant from greenthumbs the other day, and it looked like the PO used it for soccer practice. Not sure I'd want to put fish thru that.  :)

Hey Lisa- Oh that's terrible. I am sorry to hear that the postal workers treated it like that.   :-\ Hopefully the plants were okay inside though. Good thing it was not lotus being sent; I'm sure the tips would have been broken in that case. 

I think Tracey Shafer mails the fish one day fedex, but am not sure.  You could send her a PM (private message) to find out. Other option is to get fish eggs (Kat is selling some now) if you have time to grow them out?

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 12:27:23 PM »
What a disappointment, to drive all that way and find such a disgusting mess - glad you held off and didn't buy... coulda introduced algae and diseases to your pond.

Offline LostInWestTexas

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 06:16:36 PM »
Hey Lisa- Oh that's terrible. I am sorry to hear that the postal workers treated it like that.    Hopefully the plants were okay inside though. Good thing it was not lotus being sent; I'm sure the tips would have been broken in that case. 

No worries, they came thru just fine. My current fishies in my baby pond are loving playing hide and go seek in them! I got a bare root lotus the same day, and I was really happy it wasnt the abused package, lol.

Julles - there was no WAY I was bringing any of that mess home. Yuck. On the bright side, between 3 of the wonderful members here, my pond is going to be nicely stocked!  O0 @O@
~ Lisa
I'd agree with you,

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »
loads of Koi are shipped regularly from Japan and the do fine.
Not now of course.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
How awful..sad too

bonnie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"