Author Topic: Clams and snails  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Windwalker7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/08/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Clams and snails
« on: April 02, 2011, 09:43:44 PM »
Anyone have freshwater clams in their pond? Basically they are a living water filter, from what I've read.

I am also considering some Trapdoor snails.

Any pros or cons to either?

I've read the Trapdoor snails aren't prolific breeders like those smaller snails. Is that true?

I'm just looking to add something different that will also benefit pond cleaning.

Offline LostInWestTexas

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/03/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Clams and snails
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 10:28:53 PM »
I googled your question. From what I've read, as long as you avoid the Zebra variety (which proliferates like mad) you should be okay. I appreciate your post, I may get some after what I've read. It does say not to add them in a pond one swims in, as they will cut your feet. And never to release any in a lake or river, etc. Thanks for adding something new for me to consider!  ;D
~ Lisa
I'd agree with you,
But then we'd both be wrong....

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 08:44:45 AM »
 Many freshwater mussels and clams are endangered species in the east at least, and it is a federal crime to posses even the shell of a dead one that you find by the river bank !

Another problem is that freshwater clam's larvae are parisitic on fish and live in their gills. Not usally fatal but not good. The clams use a lure to attract the fish and when the fish bites the lure the clam shoots hundreds of larvae into the fishes mouth.

They will live in a mud pond I know of a pond that someone put some in and I heard that they grew fast but I don't know if they reproduced.

Dwarf pond snails, Japanese trapdoor snails, and Ramshorn snails are great in my opinion but some people say that they get in the filter intake and cause problems. I don't have filters in my big mud ponds so I just love my snails. They love to eat algae and bio film and keep everything clean.

A few trapdoor snails will reproduce plenty fast enough in 2-3 years and you will have all you need.

Offline Windwalker7

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:23:15 AM »
Whoa!!!    Good to know about the clams.   I saw a place (also on the internet, LOL!) that sells small clams for ponds and aquariums.

Just search "clams" on ebay.  They sell dime and quarter sized clams.

Not sure if these clams implant their larvae in fish or not.  I would hope not, if they are selling them to fish enthusiasts.

Thanks for the input. Definitely rethinking the clams now.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:33:06 AM »
also clams have to be in a bed of sand---try putting a bed of sand in your pond with koi and see how fast it stays in the container  {:-P;;....and while clams do filter water it would take an awful lot of them to do any filtering....so if your thinking about clams because of their filtering capabilities---I'd suggest just a good DIY filter.....I would think they also would be capable of bringing in parasites....I know frogs,birds and turtles can so I'd think they would too....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Windwalker7

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:26:10 AM »
Thanks for the input.

I currently have a small 1200 gal pond with a 100 gal Rubbermaid DIY Skippy. The pump is a 2000 Laguna Max flow solids handling pump.

Also an 11 watt UV is in the mix. Also several plants.

I've had the pond up and running since June 2010. I have had some string algae troubles but water has always been very clear.

Current population are 5  six inch koi and a few frogs. There are a couple tiny baby Comets left over from last year. I removed the parents and siblings last fall. Couldn't catch all the little guys!

I was more considering snails and clams, just for something different yet beneficial to the whole pond.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 11:35:25 AM »
awww the glorious string algae...more water changes might help with it....I used to have tons of it--I'd have to take a rake and rake it out....I upped my water changes from 20% a week to 30% a week and it helped alot....of course if your source water contains alot of phosphates and your ph is high--then your only adding more fuel to the fire  {:-P;;...but, it wouldn't hurt to up them for a while and see if it helps....
Lawanna

Offline Windwalker7

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 11:58:39 AM »
It hasn't ever really gotten out of hand yet. Had a little on the waterfall last year. I just don't like the looks of it. Kinda gives the pond a scummy look, LOL! Other than that, I've managed to keep it under control so far.

It hasn't been terrible. Everyone talks about the spring bloom. I'm kinda sitting back waiting to see what that is about.

I've been pretty lucky with the way things have been going. Just waiting and dreading when my luck runs out  {:-P;;

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 12:02:29 PM »
Yep I have to clean my waterfalls 2 times a week during the summer months...thats why I opted for no water fall on my new koi pond....they are pretty but, alot of work...not to mention not too safe when your doing a head stand on a algae slimed rock to get the algae from the edge of the rock ....
Lawanna

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 07:37:46 PM »
Clams can pollute the water when they die. Pond snails do multiply way to fast. In Florida, I tried raising Apple snails but I think the fish at them. I have pond snails and Ramshorn snails. The latter is the best ones.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 03:48:12 AM »
There is a link somewhere here where a member made that string algae on the waterfall areas more esthetic by growing some duckweed or maybe it was azolla on it. Was very interesting. Try a search and see if you can find that thread. Wish I could remember who posted it....
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 12:59:46 PM »
I have some experience with clams in my pond. I added several from a pond where I work two years ago. They are native to Ohio but from speaking to a professional fountain manufacture and installer the ones I added are quite large for this species. Never caused me any problems and are interesting to watch. If you place them on the bottom of the pond they will travel ever so slowly perhaps looking for a pot to settle in. If I place them in my lily pots they stay put. I know of a pond supplier William Trickers that sells them and they are not wild caught. Here is a picture from two years ago. None have ever died on me. If I remember correctly one weighed 1 1/2 and the other 1 3/4 lbs 

Offline Windwalker7

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 09:23:58 AM »
Wow! Those are pretty big.

Do you have Koi in that same pond?

Have they bred?

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 11:50:37 AM »
Interesting thread!

We have freshwater clams in our farm pond.  The shoreline is lined solidly with clam shells from where the raccoons and muskrat eat them at night.

We put in our water garden in 1999.  Someone gave us 75 snails that they said would be good for the pond.  We tossed them in and only occasionally see a shell that floats up from where one has died.  Last week while cleaning out leaves, I netted two live ones!!  We never see them and I really thought they had all died.  If I find another one, I'll take a picture, I'd like to know what kind they are.   

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 01:20:13 PM »
 This tread peaked my interest into researching what clam or the correct term mussel species that I actually have. I'm pretty sure they are Giant Floaters - Anodonta Grandis which are very common in slow moving streams and ponds over a large area of the mid west. There are  80 different species native to Ohio and aprox 300 in the US. All the many articles I have read state that the short time the mussel larval are attached to the host fish they do not harm the fish before they drop off and develop into mussels.  I have not seen any young as of yet, added them to my pond system the summer of 2008. I do not have Kio but I do have Yellow goldfish, Sarassa goldfish, Golden Orfe  one lonely shy channel cat and many bullfrogs. When I pull my lilies for dividing this spring I will check the clams to see if they have grown any larger. Trickers sells a different species that is not nearly as purdy or grows as large, called Elliptio Complanata native to North Eastern USA.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"