Author Topic: Where do the ducks go?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Where do the ducks go?
« on: April 11, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »
WE have a pair of ducks that is frequenting the pond at Mom's. I think it's the same pair, maybe not. But I was wondering why they seem to hang around and then take off somewhere, returning sometimes minutes or hours later. This can happen several times a day. Mom is feeding them cracked corn, no dogs or people scaring them off. So where do they go and what do they do?
Kathy

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Where do the ducks go?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:58:19 PM »
My experience is with mallards. They are scoping out a place to nest. Sometime right by the water but at least within walking distance for the ducklings once they hatch. If they nest in the area one will come back for refrestments while the other sits on the eggs. It's pretty cute when they come marching to the ponds in singe file.

Offline Michiponder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 06:47:48 PM »
Had a pair of mallards doing the same thing here.  Yesterday I found where the hen is.  I was raking leaves and other junk at the edge of a pond and accidently raked up two eggs.  I covered the remaining eggs back up and when I checked today she was there on the nest.  In years past ducks have nested next to the pond, but raccoons always found the nest and ate the eggs.  This time they nested on the island so I placed a trap on the bridge to see if the eggs will get a chance to hatch.  A person could walk right by the nest and not notice the duck there because she looks just like the pile of leaves and debri she made it from.  She must know that she is not esily seen because I walked to within 4 feet before I saw her and she never even flinched.

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:52:26 AM »
Ducks!  I have ducks! Feed corn and water dishes to swim and drink so they stay out of the pond.  Thats until the babies head down, mom pushes them thru the fence into the goldie pond

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 11:07:33 AM »
The female (Mallard) likes to sit in a spot near a shrub that didn't survive the move to Mom's, so it's brown and she blends right in. Maybe she will nest there. My dumb dog scared off the male when we were over there on Tuesday. Maybe he will come back. I haven't talked to Mom to see if she has seen them since.

She is feeding them, but they seem to like to be in the pond most of the time.
Kathy

Offline cindy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 11:51:39 AM »
As soon as I open the swimming pool, they move to the pool from the pond.  cleaner water to poop in.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 08:59:50 AM »
Cindy, LOL! We have had 4 male ducks hanging around together now. The female comes when they are not there, for a half hour or so. Maybe she is on a nest the rest of the time! Hoping for ducklings!
Kathy

Offline cindy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 11:21:28 AM »
Last night I vacuumed the pool, got out to get chlorine and came back (5 min.) and a mom and 6 babies had taken over the pool.  I shooed them out at least till I finished.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"