Author Topic: Frustrating day for ponding  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Michiponder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Frustrating day for ponding
« on: April 14, 2011, 03:42:46 PM »
Had a terrible day for ponding today.  I have been procrastinating getting the 3 lined ponds fully running due to the cold wheather here in MI. I started out today intending to get all 3 going full blast even though it was only in the low 50's and sprinkling.  First tried to change the pump back to the 3600 gph on one and turn on the waterfall (it has been running with the filter only and a 1200 gph).  The drive shaft on the pump broke.  Then I tried to start the filter on another smaller pond using the 1200 gph pump  and after running all winter on the first pond the shaft bearing failed shortly after I started it all up.  I then cleaned the third pond that was shut down for the winter and refilled it only to find out that apparently some water was left in it for the winter and it froze and shattered a 3 inch pvc tee at the back of the 2  100 gal biofilters.  Looks like it is starting out to be a crappy ponding season here.  Anyone have ideas on reliable submersible pumps at a reasonable price?  I want to use a 3600 gph, a 2000 gph, and a 1200 to 1800 gph on those ponds.                                                                                           

Mikel

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrating day for ponding
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 05:03:49 PM »
Sounds really frustrating! I think parts would have been flying by the end of the day around here!  ;D The weather was so nice yesterday, and so crummy today and for the rest of the weekend. I guess we won't get any equipment running this weekend. I was hoping to just get water moving.
Kathy

Offline Michiponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:22:49 PM »
LOL Kathy.   A few thing did fly here.  My day was 3 and 0 for getting the lined ponds done.  Guess I should not gripe about the last pond as it is going on 17 years old now.  Am currently relying on flushing the 2 ponds with fish in them with well water.  It is probably warmer than what they would have had if the pumps were up and running.  Hoping that gets them by until I can get the plumbing and pumps fixed. I still have 1 pump but it is in the greenhouse being used for last years fry and I don't want them outside in this crappy wheather yet.  Gonna have to hustle when the wheather breaks for us because there are too many fish in them to risk it when they warm up.  Maybe if I won the lotto or something I could just pay to have all that work done.  I don't think I will bother buying a ticket today with the way my luck is running.

Mikel

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 07:08:53 AM »
Hang in there, Mikel.  At some point, all this will be done and running smoothly and you will have nothing to meddle with - just time to relax and enjoy the pond.

As for your question, I am very fond of my PondMaster pumps. 

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:46:27 AM »
So sorry to hear you had such a crappy day---I think Yesterday was just a crappy day  >:(-.....Yes I like Pondmaster for submersible pumps-you can buy new impellers and the housing that goes over the impeller if they break instead of having to buy a whole new pump....I would consider an in-line pump for the 3,600 gph-as they tend to use alot less wattage to run...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Michiponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 03:47:06 PM »
Thanks Lawana.
I went ahead and bought a pump for that pond at Home depot, but I am looking for an inline anyway to help with the electric bill.  Wheather is still crappy and cold here so the fish don't seem to mind being a little crowded for now.  They say bad things happen in threes so hopefully I will have better luck next week when I get started repairing and moving the fish around. 

Mikel

Offline WAC

• Members
  • With us since: 27/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Water Arts Consulting
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 10:55:38 PM »
Danner/Pondmaster announced they're extending their warranties from 3yr to 5yr.
Sicce & Oase are other 5yr warranty pumps.

If you're considering external, I've always been a fan of Sequence & they're one of the oldest manufacturers of external pumps for the N. American market at 32yrs+

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 11:52:36 AM »
So sorry to hear you had such a crappy day---I think Yesterday was just a crappy day  >:(-.....Yes I like Pondmaster for submersible pumps-you can buy new impellers and the housing that goes over the impeller if they break instead of having to buy a whole new pump....I would consider an in-line pump for the 3,600 gph-as they tend to use alot less wattage to run...
Lawanna

me too, thats all I buy

Offline hillbillysrus

• Members
  • With us since: 03/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 01:06:46 PM »
I also recommend Pondmaster, it's what I have used from day one in my pond - about 6 years now.
Alan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"