Author Topic: Question  (Read 1001 times)

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Question
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:30:40 AM »
Hi everyone, been a while!  (Sorry if this belongs in chit chat, but wanted to make sure it's seen).  I will be going on a trip  to Australia in June and was thinking about all the ponds I can check out.  I was wondering though, does anyone know if/how I can send plants back home to the states?  My b/f was teasing me before I brought it up that he'll have to watch the mail while I'm gone  {:-P;; 

On another note, welcome spring!!!  We had our first fish losses this winter, but only two big guys, so not too bad.  I feel bad watching the fishies beg, but they have to wait a while yet.  I did lug the pots from the bottom of the pond and OMG the tubers got so big over the winter they are escaping.  I have no idea how the heck I'm going to repot those suckers without putting them in a half barrel, but that's a problem for later. 

I have more to share, but that's enough for now.  I'll be poking my head in more often now that I actually may have something to say.   O0

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 07:13:34 AM »
Good to hear from you, Kat.  I, too, have less time to spend here these days.

I would think that you could call your agricultural extension office.  Yes, they are a state entity, but they should know about federal laws re bringing plants into the U.S.  And they would be easier to reach than trying to get someone from the right department in the federal government.

I can't even guess.  I hear people say, "I brought this back from our trip to Mexico."  And you hear about nurseries introducing new plants that were developed overseas.  But then, if you are returning from outside the country, they ask if you are bringing any plant or food material, and if so, they confiscate it.  If you admit to having been on a farm or rural area, they make you take off your shoes, spray them with disinfectant, and seal them up in a baggie, leaving you to walk around in your stocking feet. 

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 03:16:58 AM »
Nice to see you! I fed my fish for the first time yesterday. Water was at 54 so I figured it was close enough. They have been searching for food for several days now and eating the pine needles that fall in.

Not sure if there would be certain nurseries that are kind of licensed as o.k. to ship to the US. I don't think you can just bring them home. I believe you can't bring back produce or plants.
Kathy

Offline unprofessional

• Members
  • With us since: 01/07/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 09:14:18 AM »
Australia has some of the strictest rules on the planet in regards to import/export of biological specimen, so I honestly doubt you'll find out anything positive on this subject. 

Offline Kirby

• Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 05:31:25 PM »
Along the same line as  bringing plants in from Australia, my wife purchased a plant in Hawaii a few years ago and she was not allowed to bring it back home.  Can plants such as Water Hyacinth be collected from ponds in Florida or Alabama where they are considered invasive and transported back to Michigan?  Were do pond supply stores get their water hyacinth and other invasive plants from?  I will be going to Florida next winter to get out of the Michigan weather and had thought about collecting some water hyacinth while down there.

Kirb

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"