Author Topic: is not oxygen is Parasites agrr or maybe pH?? Oh noo  (Read 7360 times)

Offline skarol98

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: is not oxygen is Parasites agrr
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 06:50:54 PM »
Oh btw my pond is super empty because all the fish die :( so, im not puting any fish back thats why I did a starover kind of clean

Offline Windwalker7

• Members
  • With us since: 03/08/2010
    • View Profile
Re: is not oxygen is Parasites agrr or maybe pH?? Oh noo
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 07:08:03 PM »
I would suggest you go to Walmart and go tp their pet section. Get a bottle of their aquarium test strips.

They might not be as accurate as a drop test kit but they will help you keep an eye on things.

Add the baking soda a spoonful at a time, allow it to mix with the water and use a test strip to get a reading.  Do this until the PH is in the safe range.  Safe range is indicated on the bottle.

I wish you would have adjusted the ph before you did all that cleaning.  I believe the extra low ph was your culprit.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 08:13:10 PM »
check the ph of the newly added water before you go adding baking soda....if its still low then you can add a bit of baking soda--but, check the ph each time...you sure don't want a high ph either......Stability in ph is what your looking for--baking soda will raise it fast but, its a short term fix...if the water your putting into the pond is naturally low in ph then you'll need to add some crushed oyster shell to the system(I believe its the same thing as you give chickens).....I'd also add a bit extra declor to make sure all the bleach is taken care of.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 08:32:17 PM »
Ok doki! I will do that ! I do have test strips here I do it and I double check it with the petsmart guys! I will check my pH tomorrow and may be saturday I will add some new guys and see what happen :( and hopefully it was no parasites that really freak me out! and not talking that the guy in petsmar talked about fungus too.  Omg is been a long journey! thanks you all ! I try to add pictures but I guess they are too bigg :(

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 07:27:34 PM »
today's update in mhy pond water:
Nitrate:0
Nitrite:0
Total Hardness:25
Total Chlorine:0
Total alkalinity:40
pH:6.8
Ammonia:0.5

I think is preaty good! do you guys think I should add anything to prevent parasites just in case? MY pond is empty right now and I have the pump and UV filter running and I'm thinking on gettiing some feeders (little gold fish ) on saturday to try and see, what you guys think?
thanks

Offline Michiponder

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 05:41:01 AM »
Have been reading this for a while with interest and a couple of things stand out as possible problems.  The biggest issue I saw was the PH.  5.5 is very low and would cause your fish to slough off thier slime coat.  I would not worry about the fungus as it is most likely the type that grows on dead or injured tissue.  While that is a bad thing it is not the underlying cause.  the real problem would most likely be the low PH.  The reading of .5 ammonia says your pond has not cycled at all yet so I would think twice about adding fish yet.  I would also wait till I was sure that the ph PH and GH were stable.  As far as the nitrite that is good, but don't be surprisd if you see a little spike in it as the pond cycles.  Either the test kit is not sensitive enough for ntrate or likely not working if you are getting a reading of 0.  I have never seen a reading of 0 except in distilled water or completey sterile water.  Most people consider low reading of nitrate to be very good.  Nitrates in the water are the byproduct of fish waste and organics that have gone through the natural cyle in a pond and make great plant food so this may be why plants do not grow in this pond well.  bottom line is I would wait a bit before adding fish.

Mikel

Offline Windwalker7

• Members
  • With us since: 03/08/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 06:40:17 AM »
Personally I would up the ph even a little more with some baking soda. I'd want it between 7.5 and 8.  But that's just me and what I would do.

Just add a little at a time.

Did you need to add Baking Soda to get it to the 6.8 or is that what your water reads without adding anything?

Offline tranquility

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2011, 09:45:12 AM »
O.K. guys but, how is she showing a ammonia level at .50 when she doesn't have any fish? even though she did have fish--She did a total clean out so why is it showing ammonia? I would check your source water for the ammonia--just get it straight from the tap and test it for ammonia....I too would like to see that ph a bit higher--at least 7.4...but, stability is the key--you can raise it quickly with the baking soda but, to keep those levels up there your gonna have to  add some crushed oyster shell....a ph that swings between high and low is also really bad for fish...
  Please don't freak out over parasites---there are soo many meds out there now for them that they are easily taken care of  ;).....a little saying goes--You keep your water and it will keep your fish....so even if there is a parasite -outbreak its not  as deadly if your water parimeters are good...Parasites can be present in the water and never really show until you have bad water quality--its then that the slime coat thins and they are able to dig in.....There's really nothing you can add to the pond to prevent parasites--Wow that would be a million dollar idea...Just be aware of odd behavior like flashing,clamping down, not eating, staying isolated....most of these mean somthing is wrong in the pond---First thing to always do is check those water parimeters....then go from there...
Lawanna
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:51:38 AM by tranquility »

Offline Michiponder

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2011, 07:31:10 PM »
Very easy to show ammonia in a brand new pond with no fish.  It is called cloromine (clorine bonded to ammonia).  Many of the removers will also give false readings on test kits.  Another thing came to mind when I remembered you said it looked like the fish had fungus that sloughed off.  I have seen this 2 times before in years past.  Both times it was discovered that funguside was the problem.  Once it was when I used silicone bathroom caulk instead of pure silicone for sealant on a small pond and the other was when I painted the wood around the edge with exterior grade paint.  Within a few weeks all the koi looked like they were shedding slimy sheets of mucus.  Bathroom caulk (even if it says 100%silicone) is not fish safe.  The same for many paints.  I did go back and look at your picture and it looks like your pond is painted.  Do you remember what type of paint or stain you used?

Mikel

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2011, 07:57:24 PM »
Mikel--thanks I wasn't thinking of cloramines but, yes thats right...They only use chlorine in our water so I've never had to deal with them....interesting about the silicone and paint--I would have never thought of those two....
Lawanna

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2011, 02:31:44 PM »
thanks you all !I still have the pond empty triing to see if it cycles and my ph is been stable lately but I still have some amonia, there is some debri in the bottom of my pond (because I dont have a vacum or nothing that work to get it out) so maybe thats why!
Mike I'm not sure what kind of pain is it, but I did paint last year and I didnt see any of that but I re paint this year so thats a possibility I have to check the paint to see what kind is it! If is that what should I do? Should i get rid if the top layer of the wood? or what?
I'm thinking on trying some fish this week, to see what happen
thanks

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2011, 06:29:39 PM »
Oh and I check there is no ammonia on the tap water :(
karol

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2011, 06:06:06 AM »
then the ammonia must be coming from chloramines breaking down in the water....Here is a really neat calculator that will tell you how much ammonia based on your water temps and ph numbers that the fish can handle with out harming them- http://www.cnykoi.com/calculators/calcnh3c.asp just type in your ammonia numbers and hit calculate-then go down to your water temp and over to your ph....just make sure before adding any new fish your ph is at least 7.2--but,I'd shoot for 7.4 if it were me...
Lawanna

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2011, 06:03:55 PM »
Thanks! so I added today the crush coral I hope that work and i have 3 new guys on the pond so wish me luck :)

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2011, 06:40:06 PM »
I've never heard of using crushed coral--I have heard of using crushed oyster shells though....
Lawanna

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 07:01:13 PM »
OMG please dont tell me I bought the wrong thing :( I put 3 cups on my pond today :( I'm at work will see what happen when I get home :(

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2011, 07:44:36 PM »
I think is not going to cause any harm I think both wok the same way I found this:
Description 
Main Features

Geo-Marine: Florida Crushed Coral It’s the only crushed coral with aragonite, which provides up to 25 times the buffering power of other crushed corals, dolomite or oyster shell. Eliminate chronic pH problems and provide maximum surface area for water purifying bacteria. CaribSea’s Florida Crushed Coral with aragonite allows an increase in bioload by up to 50% and it never needs replacement! Approx 2-5mm diameter (1/8 - 1/4”).

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2011, 06:27:29 AM »
Kewl...I guess most buy the crushed oyster shells because its much cheaper to buy...
Lawanna

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2011, 01:48:37 PM »
Ohhh cheaper is good lol and after all I been spending cheaper is great!! but I dont think they had the crush oyster! Well as of day one on the life of my new babyes they look good and energetic! hopefully they will make it :)

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2011, 06:35:15 PM »
I was told its the same thing they sell for chickens ....
Lawanna

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »
so my problems are endless i bought 3 fish like 5 days ago and one disapear and today I check on the 2 others and they were there I whent to the petstore came back they were gone!! agrrrr stupid birdssssss :'( I will never finish

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »
I'm so sorry. Do you have a place for the fish to hide from the birds or other predators? Plants in the pond provide shelter. I've also put a black plastic crate upside down (the 'holey' kind you can get at Walmart to put things in). The fish swim inside and are safe from beaks and paws.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2011, 04:42:58 PM »
While you're at the pet store--buy a net.  Your pond would be easy to net (flat surfaces to anchor a net to) and that will keep the predators out.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2011, 06:08:29 PM »
silly silly fishies! they were all hidding  but from me! lol I found them all they are all happy and alive :) @O@
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 06:11:19 PM by skarol98 »

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2011, 07:57:36 PM »
Wow, what a relief!  It's understandable that you would be jumpy about fish you can't find--I hope you have better luck in the days ahead!   @O@
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2011, 08:13:35 PM »
New fish always hide in my pond, for about a week, usually.  Glad yours are thriving.

Do think about getting a plastic milk crate as mentioned above, or a strawberry jar type terra cotta planter, to put in the bottom of the pond for the fish to hide in.  Floating or submurged plants are good, too.

Did you say you have paint on the bottom of the pond?  Could this be introducing a toxin?  And is there wood in the pond, too?  Can you explain better?  Can you post a photo?

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2011, 01:50:13 PM »
I try posting pics but it wouldn't let me they are too big I guess but way at the beggining of this post someone posted one of the one I had last year! No there is no paint at the bottom of the pond, and I do have plants and they also hide under the filter :)

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2011, 06:13:25 AM »
I usually tell folks to not even bother to try and feed them for the first few days...they are soo skeered at first your wasting time and food...You gotta remember these guys are on the bottom of the food chain...they have instincts that tell them to hide....even my big ones at 28"+ stay in the corner behind the air and return pipe till they know its me out there....then they come out....of course they still swim around during the day but,they run to that corner when they feel footsteps coming and stay there till they know its me....I love to see the looks on people face--one minute there's this 6,000 gallon pond that appears to be empty and then they see these massive fish slowly start coming from that corner....I sometimes don't see how such huge fish can seem invisible but, they know exactly where to sit so you don't see them among all the bubbles....
Lawanna

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2011, 09:42:33 PM »
They are very funny! But as long as they live Im happy :)

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
My worst nighmare! So now my water is a pea soup (taking in consideration this have never happen with my old filter system, and I have a UV filter) so I call the manufacture company for my filter to ask some question and I discoverd that LOWES was selling a 238 GPH 4 in 1 UV filter saying that it was a 750 GPH soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo madddddddddddddddd after i got rid of my old system I needed to re buy it and spend more money and for the inconvinient I go a $20 discount OMG I'm furious! and there is no telling what is going to happen with all my fishies now, now they might die since is a new filter  and everithing ugggggggggggggg i need therapy i'm going nuts :(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"