Author Topic: We need rain !  (Read 2399 times)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
We need rain !
« on: April 26, 2011, 02:46:45 PM »
Unlike many of you, we have only had about 1/4" of rain since the first of the year.

The wildlife have been coming into the yard to drink.

Here is todays visitor.  He hung around for about 1 1/2 hours just soaking up the moisture where I had been running the sprinkler.

If we don't get some much needed rain soon (the .03" we had this afternoon smelled good BUT...) I fear all his kin will be coming to join him.

Offline LostInWestTexas

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/03/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: We need rain !
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:28:32 PM »
Sue, I feel your pain. We haven't had rain since last August. There's wildfires all around my area. I'm extra careful when I go feed my horses, there's been snakes, skunks, foxes and coyotes, so far.
~ Lisa
I'd agree with you,
But then we'd both be wrong....

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:18:49 PM »
I am so sorry that you are suffering from lack of rainfall.  It is awful when you are in the midst of a drought.  I wish we could share what we have been getting:  over 8" for the month of April SO FAR--with much more expected in the next couple of days.  We don't have anything planted in the fields yet and won't for a long time to come. 

BTW, what kind of snake is that?  It is really BIG!   :o
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 07:24:34 PM »
 @O@  we did finally get .17" before dark. 

I haven't a clue what kind of snake it was.  Hubby actually put the bowl of water down for him after we saw him trying to suck water off the RR tie.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:37:18 AM by SueSTx »

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »
I understand drought conditions and feel your pain.  Good to hear you got a "taste" of rain.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:23:07 PM »
We are 6" above normal rainfall (2 mths worth) here in southcentral PA and four months of the year haven't even elapsed . . .  :(  :o
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 05:34:07 AM »
Cool picture!

I wish we could send you some also.  We are expecting up to two more inches of rain today!  Our son is getting married outdoors on Saturday, thank goodness the weather forecast this morning shows no rain Friday and clear Saturday until late evening.  It has been nervewracking worrying about all this rain.  We were at the reception hall the other day, after a gullywasher, and there was water standing inside.  So sad because it is a new building.  :'(

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 06:00:27 AM »
Although I'm not a fan of snakes, I do feel bad for them in the drought condition.  We finally had 0.90" of rain in the last 48 hrs.  Glad that you and the creatures finally had some much needed moisture. 

Kuan

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 07:52:46 AM »
 @O@  We had another .10" during the night...so we are up to 1/2" since January 1st.  We went into the winter dry and just had a couple of 5" snows.  Now we are worried that if we do get a thunder storm, that the lightening will start grass fires and not rain enough to even put them out.

:hug:  Stay safe everybody that is in the path of the terrible storms.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 08:11:17 AM »
So glad you got a little of your much needed moisture! 

On the subject of staying safe during storms--we had no phone or internet from Fri. until Monday--I had unplugged the dsl modem and was getting ready to unplug the computer when lightning 'hit'.  It blew out the phone box off the house, and as I was bending down to unplug the computer it 'blew' with a loud noise and scared me half to death!   :o  I was sure it was toast.  It also blew an electric receptacle off the wall in the barn.  After the phone man was here monday, I figured I'd try and start my desktop and would you believe it is fine?  What was that flash of light by my face, that burning smell, right when I went to unplug my computer from the wall?  Lightning?!  Did I almost get hit by lightning?   :o  :o  :o  :o
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 08:43:38 AM »
Wish I could send some of ours, we're getting 4 to 5 inches a day.

Thanks for watering the snake.  I just pulled 2 toads out of my skimmer and empty front pond.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 11:48:52 AM »
Hubby took a picture of the snake drinking warer to the coffee shop this morning.  The guys got a kick out of it and the neighbor said it is indeed a bull snake (my first thought) and that he has been around a year of so at least.  He says he has moved him out of the way of the mower a time or two already.

If I know there is a snake around and I don't have a heart attack first thinking it is a rattler...I am ok with it.  Now that I have had a closer look...he really doesn't look all that much like a rattler.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 12:21:29 PM »
No, he doesn't look like a rattler, but he IS a mighty big snake, to me anyway....since we don't have many around this part of Ohio.  Just the occasional garter snake or corn snake.  Some rattlers in a bog about 20 miles south of here.  I'm not really afraid of snakes, and I used to see many garter snakes but haven't for quite a while.  They were in my gardens and around my ponds, maybe the cats keep them away. 

I'm also glad that you put water out for the critters, that does my heart good.... :hug:
LuAnn

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 01:58:32 PM »
I'm wishing you much rain!  Not too particular about snakes, but sure would faint after freaking out if I saw one in my garden!!!! 

Offline ram

• Members
  • With us since: 03/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 06:53:53 PM »
I'm also in Ohio Kittyzee, and I know! Wish all this rain would stop. Ross is under another tornado watch tonight until 3 am. Sirens went off the other night around 2:30am, I was like oh you've got to be kidding. By the time my sister got up and made us all get out of bed the sirens were done. I was like, and I got up for this why?

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 07:17:03 PM »
I know ram, they went off here this morning around 10:30 am!  By the time I got everything shut down, off, put away the warning had been lifted.  But it did do a lot of damage around New Carlisle AND MY FAVORITE GARDEN CENTER!   :o

The weather is sooo unpredictable these days, please everybody stay safe!
LuAnn

Offline ram

• Members
  • With us since: 03/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 07:32:53 PM »
Don't you hate when storms can't make up their mind? I'm sorry to hear the storm ruined so much =\

Offline skarol98

• Members
  • With us since: 17/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 08:35:50 PM »
OMG OMG OMG!!! Thats all I can say if I see smething like that I be in the closest ER wih chest pains or dead! no like no like

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 03:46:09 AM »
That is a really huge snake & very cool pics.  Glad y'all helped him out.  Hopefully the nasty storms will calm down & your get some helpful rain your way. 
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 09:43:50 AM »
Big bullsnakes like that are great to have around....they can eat really big rodents...glad you got a little much needed rain...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"