Author Topic: Milkweed plants?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline cindy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Milkweed plants?
« on: April 27, 2011, 12:09:18 PM »
I see seeds for sale.  I just read that the Monarch butterflies have a shortage of milkweed so I'm researching.  Will do seeds but it looks like it takes a year for the bloom/food to come up.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Milkweed plants?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 12:31:44 PM »
Couldn't you just wait for the milkweek to bloom, then set pods and pick them and plant them yourself?  I see that you are in Kentucky and there is probably an abundance of milkweed there as there is here.  I won't see the milkweed pods until late fall, then they burst open and they are full of silky seeds that float through the air.  They are abundant along the fence rows, farm fields, and pastures.  The seed pods are large and divided in the middle when they pop open--one half of it looks like a little 'mouse boat'.. :D

http://www.paleoguide.com/primitive-living/plant-identification/images/milkweed/milkweed-seed-pod.jpg
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 12:53:13 PM »
Thanks, now i"ll know what to look for.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »
Let me know if you can't find any and I'll collect the seed pods and send some to you.  O0
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline watergardenwill

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
I have quite a few swamp milkweed plants, Asclepias incarnata, in 3" pots.  We had monarch caterpillars on them last year.  I could ship some if you are interested, just need to figure out if they need to be bare root for shipping to destination, or will trade.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"