Offline LostInWestTexas

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/03/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Help!!
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:38:38 AM »
Got my new pond lined, and all filled up. Everything was going pretty for a day or 2, and then we have 4 days with 50 - 65 mph winds. My pond was/is a mess! There's about an inch of dirt (caliche, really) on the bottom, and all this brown scummy stuff floating in and on top of my pond. Do I need to drain it and start over? Thankfully, I hadn't put my fish in yet, just my lotus pot and some lilies.

Ugh. Damn West Texas!!
~ Lisa
I'd agree with you,
But then we'd both be wrong....

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Help!!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 05:22:17 AM »
Hopefully someone will have some suggestions for you soon.  I know that must be very discouraging.  Is your yard covered with grass/landscaping or still raw from the pond dig?  The winds around here have been very annoying but I'm sure it's been worse in your location.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Help!!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 05:49:37 AM »
Living is West Texas or the panhandle can be a challenge when ponding.  The problem with doing a complete water change is that the "cycling" has to start all over.  Can you add some quilt batting to your filter somewhere to absorb the suspended dirt/skum?  I've had better luck with the roll of batting instead of the polly fill. 

If I remember right, some people add Koi Clay to their ponds to help "settle" out the dead algae etc.  I have used gypsum myself in my skippy filter and it seemed to help.  One of my tanks is always dirty from caliche dust blowing in.  The water in that tank is usually clearer than the others.

I just vacuum the dirt from my unfiltered lily tanks about every two weeks when I do my water changes.

If the dirt is not contaminated with chemicals etc., other than being unsightly, IMHO it really shouldn't do any harm.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"