Author Topic: pond salt  (Read 1003 times)

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
pond salt
« on: May 02, 2011, 12:46:56 PM »
checked the salinity , ph, ammonia , etc. in pond yesterday . salt level was half what i wanted . i am stumped by where the salt is going as this is a common occurrence in our pond . no i haven't added water. we were wondering if one could use rock salt or salt sold in stores for making ice cream rather than going to pond store and getting ''pond salt'' . i feel that is a ''yes'' but would like comments from you folks that are much more knowledgeable than i . thanks once again for your help . . .peace

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: pond salt
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »
i'm back!! by the way , we have savio pond equipment which has pump in bucket that acts as filter . i saved an old furnace filter i'm going to wrap around the pump intake this year to keep it from filling with''junk'' . i put that filter in the skimmer basket this afternoon and stirred up pond and was impressed with the amount of ''junk'' that it collected . had to rinse it out about every ten minutes . just thought this might stir someones imagination to bigger and better ideas .. .. ..peace........''her'' husband

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 02:02:25 PM »
Am puzzled by your use of any salt in your pond. I would guess that most of us don't use it. I learned in a hurry that the floaters don't like salt so didn't use it again and that was 2003. About wrapping the pump in something, what about lining a plastic milk crate or some sort of grating box with filter media and rig up a way to lift it up to spray it clean with the hose?

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 02:29:13 PM »
Esther is right...No need to keep salt in the pond...pond is an irritant...and serves no purpose in the pond at all times other than to kill your plants and keep your fish irritated...I know all pet stores push it because they can sell you a little canister for a big price...Now there are times when Salt is needed those are high nitrites or if you have a fish in a hospital tank it does help in that...the trick of the trade when buying salt is to buy Solar Salt it is sold by the 40 lb. bags at lowes,home depot, or most farm and garden places--it is kept with the water filters because it is used as a softner....it is 99.9% pure salt....for high nitrites or stress fish in a hospital tank use 2 lbs. per 100 gallons...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Michiponder

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Lawanna is right about the salt.  Most experienced ponders use solar salt (usually in the blue bag).  It is good stuff for fish that are under stress or in high nitrate situations.  It is not used by many water gardners due to the fact that it is toxic to many plants.  A woman named Bonnie Hale did some studies on what levels affect many plants and how bad.  She posted a list several years ago on the Koi Vet site.  She also sells water plants and koi and has her own site (used to even have underwater camera pictures on it)  Have not found it again yet, but I will keep looking.  Anyone else here have her addy?

Offline Michiponder

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:38:58 PM »
Found the site!  Bonniesplants.com   Look under plant tips and you will find a link to the salt tolerance list.

Mikel

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"