Author Topic: Saws-All Question  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Saws-All Question
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:56:47 PM »
At some point this summer, I hope to rebuild my deck.  This means taking apart the old 20+ yr old one, and cutting down some adjoining fence boards and 4"x4" fence posts.

I am thinking that a Saws-All recriprocating saw is the tool needed to cut apart the wood, especially the 4x4's.  Either rent one at Home Depot, or buy one.

I checked prices on new ones, and they run $150-$300 or so, and were EXTREMELY HEAVY.  My gosh, I could never weild one of those things, let alone use it safely to cut thick, heavy fence posts.

Home Depot had one last version for $99, and it was much lighter.  It was called a "one-handed reciprocating saw."  On their website, they have several other low priced ones.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools-Saws-Reciprocating-Saws/h_d1/N-5yc1vZas92/h_d2/Navigation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&omni=c_Reciprocating Saws&searchNav=true 

I think the one I looked at was the second one, the DEWALT, and it was fairly light weight.

But I don't know if the cheaper, lighter saws have the power, stroke, and length of blade to do the job.

Any of you out there have experience with these saws?  With using them to cut upright 4x4 posts close to the ground?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Saws-All Question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:28:40 PM »
I'd say that's about the best way to go about it unless you are seeking a perfect, square cut.  A skilsaw would work if you cut all for sides of the 4x4, and it would be a little easier to handle.

I've used a skil saw on my own patio posts when I realized I put the crossbar on the wrong side of the line that I marked (above instead of below).  I had to cut 5 inches out of each post at the bottom, but fortunately I could remove the post and cut them on a bench.  I used a skil saw and cut all four sides so the cut would be even and square (the blade won't cut deep enough).

You can do it... so what if the sawzall almost weighs as much as you!  lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:45:10 PM »
I do love the building shows.  The sawz all's are used for rough stuff!  The portable cirular saw is what you want.
De Walt has a fine saws all.
Harbor frt has one  that stinks.  You can have mine! :'( >:(-
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline -Greg-

• Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 07:18:30 AM »
Julles, we use the Milwaukee's here weekly, and the one time we did purchase a Dewalt, it did not last. Amazon has the one we use for $99

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6509-22-Sawzall-Amp-Reciprocating/dp/B0000789HE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304518176&sr=8-2

The key is purchasing good blades with the correct amount of teeth for the job. I would suggest these 12" 5 teeth per inch or similar:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-00-1303-Sawzall-12-Inch-Length/dp/B0009H5DV0/ref=pd_sim_hi_7

Although the saws may seem heavy, the weight is needed to preform the work, the more weight, the less pressure you need to apply because the weight is helping the saw do it's job, at least to a point.

This particular model weighs 7 pounds and should be manageable, I also think this would be the best tool for your job at hand.

Greg

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 07:23:15 AM »
Milwakee is highly rated!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tlc

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 07:46:16 AM »
We have a sawzall and I LOVE it. I don't know how we got by without one. We have the Dewalt but don't use it daily as Greg said he does but we have not had any problems with it and we have owned it for about 4 or 5 years now. My hubby also uses it to cut metal tubing for different projects he has done and it worked perfect with the correct blade. We have the 12 amp corded and it is heavy but it cuts like no tomorrow. I use it for all kinds of things, even used it to limb up trees. We also own some Milwaukee power tools and they are good ones too. Both are now made in China though which made me kinda sad.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 06:48:41 PM »
I bought one at Harbor Freight. It wasn't to bad but later on, we found a used Milwaukee at a flea market and a small circular saw. We paid $40.00 for both. My dad always used Milwaukee tools in his work as a plumber.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 06:09:54 AM »
Thank you all for your comments.

I had not thought about a Skill Saw.  I already have one of those ... Will have to see if it's powerful enough to cut the posts, and if it's worth it to make four cuts per post, times 8 posts.  The circular saw I already have, too, but it's heavy and cumbersome and dangerous holding it horizontally to cut the posts off at the ground.

Thanks for the links on the Sawzall.  I might see saws in person at Home Depot, then check what better prices I can get on line.  I'm not sure I can wield the 7 lb saw at the angle needed to cut down the posts, but will try one out at Home Dept.  Thanks for the tips on blades, too.

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 06:24:32 AM »
FYI... A circular saw is often referred to as a "SkilSaw" - it's kinda like how people say "Coke" instead of soda, "Kleenex" instead of tissue, etc.

The other saw which would not work well at all would be a jig saw, not sure if that's what you meant when you said "skill saw".
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 07:28:39 PM »
YIKES!  You're right.  My SKIL brand jig saw is what I use for cutting out my Fairy Doors - would definately be quite a job trying to cut fence posts with that guy!   :D

I'm thinking the 7 lb Sawzall would be the one I end up buying.   

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"