Author Topic: So Cal Spring Garden Show Again!  (Read 2525 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
So Cal Spring Garden Show Again!
« on: May 10, 2011, 04:11:48 PM »
Here we go again....I must look only...unless I see something I really cannot live without!  OK, so I'm weak kneed.  I have a Doctor's letter saying my knee is weak (won't go into boring details).  I bought a few things....

I always look forward to seeing the Garden Show at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa.  Just a hop skip and drive to a favorite shopping center.  Three floors indoors a beautiful building full of design and flora.  Caught some great designs for our living space and attended a few lectures on pruning Japanese Maples, Gardening with Native Plants, and Global Gardening ( there were so many to choose from).

Did I say I went twice!  Once with my DD (someone had to help me carry buckets of plants and bulbs!) and the second time with my mother.  She love orchids but cannot help killing them!  {:-P;;

Lots to see!  Hope you enjoy and can feel how much fun I have here!

First Floor - Gardens on Display - My favorites shown.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:02:16 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: So Cal Spring Garden Show Again!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »
More Gardens on Display.  Do you see all the succulents?  I'm sooo crazy for succulents and Cactus!  The last photo of a Adenia Spinosa plant in this display is so popular with many vendors.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 04:21:31 PM »
This display designed with water features and complementary plantings.  Alas, no room in my garden  :'(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 04:24:26 PM »
I know there are a quite a few here interested in miniatures.  I do too but somehow mine do not look anything like these ones.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 04:30:36 PM »
Forgot to show the Tropical Centerpiece in the center of the Mall.  All made of seeds and plants, this arrangement is almost 2 stories high and wide.  I know there are many here who love and have patience for tropical plants.

I love the Japanese Maples and the new varieties I discover here every year.  There were some really cool containers for the maples that 'm going to try to make with hypertufa (where's that to-do list!).

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Ok, back to the second floor where anything succulent and cactus is out for sale.  Tucked in here and there are many other sellers of beautiful, some exotic, plants ranging from bearded irises and giant blooming clematis to native flowering and tropical plants.

How do you like framed plants on your wall?  Too cool!  I love the succulent one but must admit it looks great when first planted.  When the plants get older and leggy it's never the same.

Grafting...Not the usual color ball cactus on succulent.  :o

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 04:49:58 PM »
Lots of fun succulent arrangements.  OOOH!  I feel arrangement fever coming on!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 04:52:38 PM »
Third Floor - Mostly Orchid Mania

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 04:53:37 PM »
And then there is this beautiful hanging orchid my mom wants..to put it out of its misery.  :P

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »
My favorite!?!  Stuff I don't need but bring home anyway!  @O@

Bought lots of succulent to make creations I saw a the show and lots of bulbs, extras of what I don't need and others of plants that are so interesting and beautiful!

Ya wanna see some fun purchases!?!

What a fun filled two days visit!

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 06:51:34 PM »
Wonderful displays and photos!!!! o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 07:53:29 PM »
Wow, I wish I were there! Those living purses were a neat idea. I am thinking they must use tweezers to weed the miniature garden  :D
I love orchids and have managed to kill every single one given to me or purchased save for 2 last stands.  They have survived several months so far, not bloomed, just green. But THAT is something.  ;)
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 08:33:24 PM »
I couldn't make it there this year due to surprise birthday party preparation for the fetching Mrs. Mikey.  Thanks for sharing!  I recognize those last 4 photos from my favorite vendor at that event, Gary Hammer.  Gary brings up some great stuff from Central and South America.  Since I couldn't go this year a buddy picked up a few bulbs for me from Gary. 

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 05:47:49 PM »
GT I only wish I needed tweezers to weed my garden!  I just drool over everything I see at this show.  :D

Hey Mike, I always look for these guys too.  Love the exotic bulbs and cuttings they have on display.  Especially love the big signs on the plant descriptions.  I can never leave them without buying something....inexpensive too!

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 07:48:27 PM »
I'm speechless.  I think if you need someone to go with, just give me a call I'll drop by and we'll do lunch too.  What beautiful plants, thank you for sharing!!!!  It gives me ideas too   :D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 04:50:38 AM »
very nice , hope you bought a LOT . by the way , i'm usually here as a ''guest'' in which case i don't get any pictures . is this a normal thing ?

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 12:01:25 PM »
Wow, don't know where to begin.  I love it all.  Love the floor on the skeletal greenhouse.....I gotta try those leaves again this summer.  I tried one last year and it was a disaster. 

I will be coming back to this thread for inspiration.  I want to try a miniature too, but do they grow too big too fast?  I have a feeling they would look good for a couple weeks and then be leggy and overgrown.......guess you need to know how to prune correctly, like bonsai. 

Yep, 2vetts, you need to be logged in to see a lot of the pics here.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 10:05:25 PM »
Pardon me as I drool.... you lucky Cali people.  I would love to see a show even half that cool here  o(:-)  Thanks for sharing!

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 11:24:51 AM »
That's awesome! I missed the shows up here in the Bay Area this year because I was 18 months pregnant (ok, just felt like that).  It saved me gobs of $$ though!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 01:53:01 PM »
I look forward to this show every year mainly because the people showing their plant stuff are so very nice.  And of course the ideas! 

Karen, how did you make your leaves?  The ones in the Greenhouse on the ground really look like cross cuts of big logs.  the are lighter in weight than concrete.  They did mention some kind of poly-so-and-so making them weigh less and more durable than hypertufa.  I can't remember how much they cost but I do know it is more than my wallet can hold.  {nono}

18 months!?!  Yeah I'm sure it felt like that. ;D  I would love to see the shows in San Fran.  They are always packed with even more fabulous displays that I've seen from photos of a few people who attend them religiously.

A couple more things I bought... {:-P;;  Wish I knew the name of the last plant...

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »
Love the unusual plants Annette! 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 02:10:51 PM »
Didn't I mention somewhere I like odd/unusal things nature can put out!?! 

I copied this ideal from the show as a gift for a good friend.  Succulents were bought at the show (worked out to $1.15 for a small 2" potted succulent after buying tooooo many the lady gave me a great deal) and the mini strawberry pot from Rogers Garden. 

This magenta color bloom is from a kind of rock flower type desert plant (can't remember name  :doh: ).  Flowers year round! 

Bonsai pot full of favorite baby toes (as I call them) of all kinds  o(:-) and mini succulents.  This pot sits outside my kitchen window on the deck table.  Hopefully these toes grow bigger so that I can see them.  :D

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »
Is lithrops the name you were looking for?  The 'living stones' I mean.  Very cool.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 09:10:36 AM »
I think you got it Catfish!  Living Rocks, love 'em!  Can never have too many.... {:-P;;

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"