Author Topic: New Airline Restrictions  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New Airline Restrictions
« on: August 10, 2006, 08:02:38 AM »
I guess everyone has heard the news about the terror attempts.  Pretty scarey stuff! 

Now about the restrictions . . . no water, no liquid, no creams, no lotions in carryons.  What they said this morning was nothing that is not solid can be in a carryon.

But I keep hearing mixed stories on electronics.  Can those go on a plane or not?  Anyone know the real poop on that?

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: New Airline Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 08:29:45 AM »
So, I can't take shampoo and hand lotion to my reunion in Phoenix? Great.....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 08:34:38 AM »
I heard no electronics on both local and national, but don't know how in the world they're going to work that one out.  ?)(? Could you imagine standing in line for hours this morning, only to be told you must leave behind your laptop, cell phone, bluetooth, and blackberry? Yikes.
Maybe those items can be checked, but not carried on? Hope they don't ban antiperspirants/deodorants.  ;)

My brother & family just got back from Denmark- they had a significant amount of delays & re-routes- but they actually got home within an hour of their expections and with ALL their luggage. Amazing, considering that their luggage took different routes than they did.  O0

21 people arrested so far... way to go! I'm glad they caught this.  (8:-)
It may have been a different discussion this morning...
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 08:35:38 AM »
You can take it in your checked luggage.  Nothing that isn't solid in your carryon.  No hand lotion, toothpaste, water, coffee . . . . not even bottles of baby forumula from what they were saying on the tv this morning!

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 08:37:40 AM »
I thought medicine and baby formula were exceptions?

I guess the best way to know for sure is to call the airlines well ahead of time and clarify what is allowed.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 08:38:49 AM »
From what I understand, any of the banned items can go in checked luggage.  But you cannot carry on any liquids.  Someone said that baby forumula was only allowed if the mom had a baby and was willing to drink from the bottle!

I've heard mixed stories on the electronics tho - one station said that restriction was only on flights into the US from abroad.  Another network said it was on all flights.

I'm just glad I'm not flying today.

LeeAnne I'd call the airline that you're flying on and ask.

Offline cfarm

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 08:43:25 AM »
No electronics in carry-ons for the time being.

I'm not understanding the US ban when the plots were UK based, but that's the sort of knee jerk reaction the gov't uses these days.

Offline Krista

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 08:56:01 AM »
Words just do not express :(
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 09:45:15 AM »
I do not check bags. Have had too many problems. I'll call before I pack in October.

I don't know what you are talking about, I don't watch TV during the day. I haven't read the paper either. Been online working.

There was some sort of problem in the UK?
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline cfarm

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 09:55:25 AM »
The plots were based in the UK as were the people they arrested to foil the planned attacks. The response by the US Homeland Dept. is purely in response to the actions already taken in the UK. In fact, Michael Chertoff, Dept of Homeland Securtiy chief said this morning they know of no US based plots or efforts at this time.

A prudent move or unnecessary panic? That's a personal opinion.

Offline Lynn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 11:29:16 AM »
The electronics restriction is on flights to/from the UK, as of this moment they are permitted for carry on here in the states. I'm glad to see the stepped up security, especially now, I think many have been expecting something as we near the 5 year anniversary. We here in the U.S. need to realize that this is war.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 01:02:30 PM »
Thanks Lynn!  Glad to see you made it over here to clarify!

Cfarm, this particular attempted attack did originate in the UK, but it was absolutely aimed at US airlines and US soil.  I would far rather see too much security than not enough . . . I've already lost too much to this war on terrorism.

Offline cfarm

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 03:30:30 PM »
To be clear, I'm not against better security done right. On that score, we could have taken clues from the Israelis years ago and 9/11 would not have happened. How many Israeli Airline hijackings have you seen in 30 years? They had secure cockpit doors before the concept was even discussed here.

What I have a problem with is the public farce that something is being done when it's just window dressing. I have contacts within the airline industry. Trust me, it isn't even close to the security level it needs to be and I'm talking about things that have nothing to do with checkin and the ticket counters.

But announcements like this do move other things off the front page of the newspapers.....and I don't think that's purely by accident.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"