Author Topic: Frog Chat  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Rick40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Frog Chat
« on: May 10, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »
I must have at least 4 frogs in my pond. I can't see them though. They hide most of the time underneath my rocks Tonight they were "talking" back and forth to each other  :). One would chirp and stop then the next one would "answer" it. This would go back and forth for several minutes.  It is quite pleasant and neat to listen to them. I think I "smell" tadpoles in the future :hug: :woot: !

Rick

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Frog Chat
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 06:43:41 PM »
I think you're right about that 'smell' thing... :o   lol  I love the sound of frogs and toads, it's calming and relaxing to me.  If you have fish in your pond (as I do) then they will most likely eat the eggs before they get a chance to morph.  I've never known a frog egg to survive in my pond.  I think the frogs I have travel from somewhere else and winter over.   :-\
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline zoeybean

• Members
  • With us since: 10/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 06:47:54 PM »
last summer there were toad eggs in my pond I am very new at this so it took some research to figure out what they were, they looked like miniture strings of pearls it was really awesome...

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 07:39:51 PM »
I think fish will eat frog eggs but not toad eggs. My goldfish never ate the toad eggs and I was over run with toadpoles one year (and they were the voracious lily eating ones. I hope this year they are not around and I have normal frogs and toads.) Tonight there is some creature out there "screaming" at the top of its lungs. I cannot figure out if it is a frog/toad or like a kato (spelling) bug...I can hear it from every part of my house :o
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline whiskyb

• Members
  • With us since: 09/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 06:15:53 AM »
We had two toads that were screeching so loud that in the house with the windows closed and the tv on we could still hear them. Took awhile to find them in our stone but when we did we re-located them to a sanctuary across town

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 06:23:18 AM »
We only have Leopard Frogs.  Their song reminds we of someone rubbing there thumb over a baloon.  I haven't heard it yet this year.  I know I have at least one frog for sure though.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 06:35:19 AM »
I know we have leopard,tree,bullfrog, and toads...And I know what all of them sound like--but, in the last couple years I've heard one that sounds like he is laughing.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:26:12 AM »
Lucky guys!  I grew up in a palce that had many frogs.  (PA) Alas I have no luck here.  I did try tree frogs, they hatched and did well but prompyly left for parts unknown!
I understand that is what they do!

I still want frogs!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 03:45:06 PM »
Lawanna, You can look up frog sounds on the web! Then you will know which ones you are hearing.

We have relocated 2 of our frogs from the old pond so far, one leopard and one green, but I think they split to the neighbor's house that took down thier pool. Right now it is a huge mud puddle in the yard. hopefully they come back when it's filled in!
Kathy

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 05:49:54 PM »
We have two sets of noisy frogs...so loud even with the windows shut tight...reebeet, all night longggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rick40

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 07:31:16 PM »

A couple of my frogs chirp so loud you can here them with the windows shut and the tv on also. It took me a while to get used to them. They are all quiet tonight for some reason

Rick

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 07:39:49 PM »
Our pond is being taken over by frogs!  I have no idea how many we have but DH opened the sprinkler box and there were 6 little ones in there.  They are LOUD but I love them!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 06:24:35 PM »
I spoke too soon too, Rick!  Quiet last night....maybe there are tadpoles on the way!?!  :clap:

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 05:17:30 PM »
Although my neighbors have toads and eggs and tadpoles at their puny 50 gallon pond, with this severe draught we're suffering through, I have not heard one single toad call this entire year, not even after we finally got rain last night.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 07:38:36 AM »
I would love a few frogs that would stick around! :'(.. :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 07:47:11 AM »
lived here 7 years with just the big pond and only saw two frogs . put in the little pond two years ago and immediately had couple of frogs . last year we had at least three frogs . this year when ice left i netted three dead frogs and there was another that had a fish hanging from its mouth and it died after about a week . i recycled them all to big pond where they soon disappeared . very shortly there were three more one of which was a leopard frog . haven't seen leopard in a couple weeks but hope to if it warms up again . ANYWAY reason i began this is i have never heard a frog or toad since we've lived here which disappoints me [i think] . . . .peace ....... by the way , spring took forever to begin and when it did a couple weeks back the plants grew amazingly fast . now it's in the 50's and raining most days for last two weeks . we are more fortunate than most of the country [ no floods or fires ] but farmers are hurting because of it being so wet . . . .peace ,again [can't have to much peace]

Offline Rick40

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 02:01:14 PM »
Yep,just as I "feared" the tadpoles are here by the 100's. Please read my newest post on this saga.

Rick

Offline just.me

• Members
  • With us since: 22/11/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 07:15:44 PM »
Our frog population is down this year.  ??  Tho' it's been raining almost non-stop for a week.  I'll miss 'em.  Big skeeter eaters. I love them too.  Bring on the noise.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"