Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
shy?
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:13:41 AM »
I got a new all white shimmery butterfly koi o(:-) on Thursday, from the better ponding store near here.  The young kid said it was a Gin Rin?  It is about 3-4 inches, and has very shiny scales - pearlescent, and looks very much like this one (sold on ebay, borrowed picture).

It is MUCH smaller than the other fish in the pond - I have thirteen 8 inch sarasa comets that are 2 years old, a 10 inch yellow koi also 2 years old, and another blue/silver koi that is 1 year old and about 6 inches.  The new fish seems to be terrified of the others and hides under a specific rock all the time, unless I gently move the pot that sits on top of that rock.

Will it eventually warm up to the others, or will this one stay in hiding pretty much all the time?  I feel so badly for it! :-\

Offline HTH

• Members
  • With us since: 14/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Howard The Humble
Re: shy?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 11:26:37 AM »
It is scared to death not knowing what else exists in its new home.    If it is healthy, and I have no reason to think otherwise, it will come out and join the others in time.  The best thing you can do is not bother it.

howardTheHumble

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 02:34:32 PM »
If your new koi looks like the photo then you have a beautiful koi!  Yeah I would say it is shy for now.  Baby will become use to the comings and goings of its new home.

Offline doubleone

• Members
  • With us since: 26/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 06:04:59 PM »
Your little one will come out eventually, just leave it alone.  I had one that looked very close to the picture.  It is now blue, red, purple, with TWO silver scales left.  It's still a pretty fish but it looks nothing like it did when I bought it.   :D

Offline fishin4cars

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/06/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 06:45:23 PM »
Pretty platinum gin rin!   I have a tancho platinum gin rin I bought the end of last year, It too has done some changing, when I got it it had dark grey down the back and a perfect circle on the forehead for the tancho, Now it's all white like yours with a orange spot ever one eye. I sill like it though.  Some koi join right into the group some stay to themselves and are shy when first introduced. Most cases I have seen they will joining the rest of the group within a week or two.  They tend to avoid the bigger koi until they are sure they won't get eaten.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"