Author Topic: Would someone please make it stop raining...  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Would someone please make it stop raining...
« on: May 18, 2011, 07:22:51 AM »
just so we farmers can get our crops in this year?!?    :-\  It has rained almost everyday this month, and I don't mean sprinkles:  deluges, floods.  It's so soggy here I don't know when we will be able to get crops in, mow hay, harvest wheat.  We have spraying to do on top of that.  Hubby said yesterday he's checking into planes doing the spraying, that is, if we get something planted.  My allergies are so bad--must be lots of molds and fungi growing--feels like everything is growing hair!   ::)  Okay, I'll stop, thanks for listening to me whine!   ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Would someone please make it stop raining...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:41:04 AM »
Farming is so tough!  We are praying to the rain gods! :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 08:17:09 AM »
We're praying to the rain gods too.  The dry land wheat is a total bust and is being plowed up now.  There is no grass pasture to move those calves onto off the graze out wheat.

You are more than welcome to send that rain down to Texas...we're dry Dry DRY !!!

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 08:44:36 AM »
We finally had a break in all the rain last week and the farmers hit the fields big time!!!  It has been cold and dreary the last five days or so, with sprinkles, but not enough to stop them.  Last week I worked outside and suffered miserably from the heat, even had to turn the air conditioner on.  This week I am working out in a coat, gloves and earmuffs.........this weather is crazy, and the furnace is running, it got down to 39 a couple nights ago.  My favorite thing to do in the spring is tinker around the yard on a nice day........I'm tinkering, but it's sure not nice outside. 

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 12:28:31 PM »
I know--last week we were running the AC for a couple of days since the humidity was through the roof and it was almost 90*--and like you said Karen, it got down to 39* and has been in the 50's for a high except for today, it's 60.  THe cold doesn't bother me as much as the non stop rain.  What will really drive hubby crazy is if it's not raining and is nice and he still won't be able to plant.  The ground here is so soggy--we just need a dry stretch for a couple of weeks or so.  I had been working in the flower beds and started mulching--my mulch pile is sitting out back untouched for a week.  We started up the bio filter and the pond is full and looking good at least and my fish are fat and sassy.  I can't stay on top of the mowing either---it's supposed to be nice for Saturday--I'll be on the mower all day!   :o

Sue I know how heartbreaking a drought can be.  To stand and watch rain or thunderstorms pass by and not leave a drop.  What are farmers doing for grass?  Are they buying hay or selling off their cattle?  Last summer was very dry here and many farmers ran out of hay. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 05:20:01 PM »
Flash flood warning here right now in south central PA (again . . .  :'()
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 06:20:44 PM »
Farmers are just now pulling their calves off the wheat fields.  Most will go to the feedlots I'm sure.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 07:03:16 AM »
Ditto what Sue said.  We've only had one light rain in about 2 months of drought.  Hopefully some will come Friday.

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 07:52:23 AM »
''kz'' i just remarked about that in another post then found this . our moisture this year up here by toledo is 7 or 8 inches over normal . fields to wet to work in and if something has been planted it's going to rot . i'll hope for better for you folks . .peace

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 09:46:21 AM »
Thanks 2vetts, positive thoughts are what we need for sure.  We haven't had rain here today - yet - but it looks forbidding.  Hubby is on the roof nailing shingles back down from the recent winds and rain storms.   :P  I think I may be able to work outside tomorrow and maybe some on Sunday.  I just wish he could plant something--ANYTHING! 
LuAnn

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:52:53 AM »
Sending lots of prayers your way so the rain will stop.  Hoping some of your rain will come my way since we are dry here.  Well, we had some rain but still dry.  My farmer friends told me once that they look to the sky to make a living.  Mother nature sure makes it difficult for farmers to survive.  If not raining/flooding it will be draught.  On top of this, they have to deal with temperatures, bugs, etc.  Sigh...

I hope the rain stops soon for you so your hubby can plant the crops!!

Kuan

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »
Thank you Kuan, I really appreciate it!  And it's raining again   :D  thought we might dodge this one, but no.  We had a window of a few hours where it wasn't raining and everybody and their brother was mowing grass in town.   ;)  I didn't mow, just went to the fire station and hung out with the guys for a while, the chief is retiring tomorrow and I helped set up tables.  I'll mow tomorrow and forget about cleaning house.... :)
LuAnn

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 02:19:58 PM »
Weather is so wacky this year!  I'm hoping for you and all the farmers across the states that growing season will be good.  We hear on the news of all the heartache and misery farmers are going through. 

Even though we have been getting more than usual rain fall here I will just wish your rains to Texas (the parts that are dry, of course) and to So. Cal (we do need it guys!).

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 10:24:42 AM »
Horrible weather here in Oregon this year so far. It always rains a bunch in spring here but this year has been the coldest and rainiest in I can't remember how many decades they said on the news. We had two days without rain in March. Two. seriously.  :(
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"