Author Topic: Stinky neighbor!  (Read 1829 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Stinky neighbor!
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:58:10 AM »
Skunks are invading my gardens!!!!  They are the ones digging up my garden looking for treats.  Many newly planted veges and seedlings are uprooted or smashed!  >:(-

I see them roaming around the yard at night.  But the worst happened last night.  We were having a glass of wine by the pond under string lights over head.  The skunk walked right by behind our bench!  I was so scared it would raise its tail if we moved. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Stinky neighbor!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:02:08 AM »
What can I do to keep Skunks out!?!  Our neighbors all have dogs that bark or growl when an animal climbs over the fence.  Many of these dogs have also gotten free "perfume" from visitors.

What do you do?

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 10:26:35 AM »
I purchased what I thought was magic coyote urine to flush a nesting Raccoon from my chimney several years ago from this company. http://www.critterridders.com/ Much cheaper than hiring a professional and worked like a charm. They sell traps for Skunks (Fume proof) but you should check weather you are allowed to relocate wild animals in your state before purchasing.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 11:45:07 AM »
Thx Frogman.  I didn't set up my regular opossum trap for fear I'd catch a skunk.  I check out the skunk trap!  UGH!  I think all the animals in the creek near my neighborhood are moving in to my yard!  Food mostly provided by neighbors dog dishes (don't think I didn't talk to them about this!) and my yard for comfort away from dogs  >:(-

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 11:55:57 AM »
Just read the info on skunk traps.  Sounds good, didn't realize they need room for the tail to salute and spray....but who will open the door to the trap when it's time to release the scared skunk!?!  :o

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 08:09:28 PM »
Oh my Annette.......you have a problem.  I thought we had encountered every possible garden pest, but we've never had skunks.  I think I would be scared to death of one, that smell is horrible.

Do you want me to ship you this dog?  lol

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
 Hahaha Karen...we thought being surrounded by neighboring dogs on 3 sides would keep animals from roaming into our property.  I guess all the creek animals didn't get the message. :D

We get skunk perfume in the air outside very often.  One neighbors dog gets sprayed regularly, yikes!

Spoke to DH about the skunk trap and he has same concern.....can't show up at work smelling like Pepe LePew.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 03:26:44 AM »
Sorry to hear about your stinky problem & all the damage they are doing.  Don't have any suggestions but I feel for you.  Hope find a solution.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 11:18:53 AM »
Thx Kat.  Enjoying smelly evening air way too often now.   :'(

I'm thinking that the fish poo from the bio filter I collected for the plants in the ground and the potted ones may be attracting the skunk too.  I noticed today that a few pots that are height level with my raised deck have been pillaged!  >:(- Dirt everywhere and exposed roots.  >:(
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:28:52 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 12:19:14 AM »
I have read of gardeners having problems with animals digging when they use blood fertilizer.  I smell a skunk only occasionally and doubt one could get into our yard.  I heard a lot of noise in the backyard tonight and it was a possum trying to get under a wooden gate.....but he was about 6 sizes too large... 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 07:02:10 AM »
Blood fertilizer!?!   :o. I have divots (sp) in my graveled areas, veges garden areas, and potted plants.  There many new places dug up under the fences around the house where too many animals are clamoring to get in.  I figured with all the rain we have had that the creek nearby would be full of good eats!  Guess not! @&$+#!  (Can I say that?  Opps too late!)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 10:30:22 AM »
Sounds like you need an electric wire around your perimeter.

I've seen a raccoon in my yard in broad daylight twice last week.  {:-P;;  Scared him so bad the second time he fell off the fence into the neighbor's yard.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 10:42:39 AM »
Electric wires!  Sounds like something doable.  Only caveat...I may my DH in it more than any other animal.  DH getting shocked.... lol lol lol  Me getting scolded... :'( :'( :'( but the image of DH getting shocked... lol lol lol

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 04:46:42 PM »
A regular live trap will work, just put it in a garbage bag with the end open.  If you move slowly and carefully, most skunks won't spray you.  And if it spays in the trap, the garbage bag will keep it from getting on you.

If you see any skunks out in the daytime, call animal control. Most of the rabies we have here in Texas are from skunks.

Good luck, Brenda
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"