Author Topic: New Member from Spring Hill, FL  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
New Member from Spring Hill, FL
« on: May 26, 2011, 08:24:33 AM »
Just wanted to stop in and say, "Hello!"

I recently put up my own small web site and asked about putting a link to American Ponders. Got the OK, (thanks, Sean!) and decided to follow Sean's suggestion of participating in the Forum. Not sure just what I might add to it, as I find myself in a learning mode. But, you never know!

I work nights, Fri, Sat, and Sun, 7 PM to 7 AM. Suits me just fine, as it gives me most of the week to do whatever I do. Right now, that means getting my ponds in order. By that, I mean the 4 Patio Ponds I just built, based on Sean's display pond design, but somewhat "over-built" to suit me. Also, I have an old aquatic greenhouse, nothing fancy, it covered a pair of "production ponds," each about 3 ft by 14 ft, about 2 ft deep, one in-ground, the other above ground. More of a resurrection than a restoration, as they have been "out-of-service," to put it politely, for about 10 years.

But, that's part of the fun, growing out what survived that 10 year period and trying to identify them!

I gotta stop right here! I posted far more than anyone would want to know about me down in the "Getting to know you" section of the Forum.

Also, I really have to get outside, feed the cats, and get that dried up pond cleaned out and and filled up with water, today. Looks like rain tomorrow and what a mess that could turn into!

I'll check back in, later today.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New Member from Spring Hill, FL
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:11:41 AM »
Hey, it's good to have another Mike on this board! 

I look forward to reading your posts, and to following the progress of your pond projects. 

Welcome!

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:23:22 AM »
Wow, if I lived in Florida AND had a greenhouse, what I wouldn't do with humidity loving plants.  My staghorn ferns would be the envy of all!   lol 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 02:42:40 PM »
Welcome Mike!  Sounds like you will have a great time messing with your ponds.  Hope we get to see some photos of what's happening!  I so want to know how the greenhouse turns out.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 03:22:12 PM »
Welcome Mike!

You will fit in just fine.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 05:17:34 PM »
Well, thanks! Y'all sure make a guy feel welcome here.

The old greenhouse was where I kept Some tropical waterlilies over winter, and more than a few kept blooming, year round. But is primary function was to let me get new plants started, very early in the season. The room was limited, but I could get quite a few going early, and blooming often before the water in the outside ponds was warm enough to accept them.

The two tanks in there are not large, only about 3ft. wide, but they were somewhere around 14 ft long (I think.) One of them was mostly in-ground, the other was all above ground. Don't recall the real reason for that, but I suspect that after I dug out the in-ground one, I simply wanted to avoid the shovel for a while.  ::)

The actual greenhouse is a very simple structure. PVC pipe frame covered with a heavy visqueen. (Spelling?) Heck, clear plastic sheeting! I found it could go two years fairly well without replacement. But only after I put up a leaf net barrier to keep the cats off the roof!

It's a modified version of a plan I found on the Internet. I think mines a bit stronger than the plan version, even though I used 1/2 PVC. I'll get a pic up when I find an old one, if not, I'll post one when I rebuild that part.

Some of you might know me from other forums in the past. Others are just now learning that I tend to be a bit "wordy" in my post.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

http://www.ptponds.com

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 06:52:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum and let me be the first to invite you to participate in the connected chat room. It does get a little busy at night.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 10:20:39 AM »
I haven't looked at how to post pics here, but what I've seen is rather straight forward. I'll give it a try, later on. But what I should have pointed out is that I do have pics of the ponds and some of the waterlilies posted on my web site. If you want to see what I'm up to before I figure out posting pics here, you can see them on my web site, named "PT Ponds," as that describes the construction method that I've adapted.

The site is :  http://www.ptponds.com

I will learn how and post other pics that I don't put on the web site, right here in the Forum. But now, I have to get busy as my 3-day work week begins. (That 7P to 7A thing I mentioned earlier.)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"