Author Topic: You build it and they come...  (Read 1825 times)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
You build it and they come...
« on: June 04, 2011, 06:09:54 PM »
Yep, I have heard that from someone, may be even from here.  I'm talking about snake.   :o {nono}  I appreciate everything about nature.  Creatures and critters co-exist for a reason.  But I can't get over my fear of snake.  Here in Kansas, we don't have poisonous snake, so I was told.  I have lived in this house for 10+ yrs and saw 2 snakes when we first moved in.  Then a green garden snake of sort a few yrs ago.  Then DH found a dead snake a week ago.  One of our shelties probably got to it.  Well, about 20 minutes ago, I went to feed the fish, and lifted up the skimmer lid to check the filter, saw a snake dropped down from the lid and I screamed!!   {nono}  I mean SCREAM!!  I dropped the lid, ran to DH who was sitting on the swing.  He went to investigate and asked me how long or big was the snake.  I have no idea.  I saw it dropped and moved, that was the end of my memory.  I think it was about 1.5 foot long.  A bull snake may be.  I took the dogs inside the house, told the kids to stay in the swimming pool.  DH was fishing for the snake.  I just don't want it to kill or eat my fish.  It just gives me the heebee jeebee...

Kuan

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: You build it and they come...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 06:20:24 PM »
Good luck with the snake.  :o :o

I think I've got a young water moccasin hiding (seen it twice now with no success in catching it) in the plants around the ponds.  Had to drain my kiddie pool as it was able to get into it.  Gotta start wearing boots & my feet aren't going to like it!  Hope someone has some suggestions on how to bait snakes with some kind of trap.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 09:35:38 PM »
I have seen something for sale called snake repellent.  Not sure if it keeps all types of snakes away or just certain types, or if it actually works, but it is sold in nurseries. Hope you can find something that works.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 04:02:45 AM »
EEEEEWWWW! I would have screamed so loud they would have heard me on the moon! LOL! I have a shrub that garder snakes like to lay on top of and they scare me every time!
We have seen a big increase in the number of garder snakes in the yard in the past year or two. They hunt my poor little froggies. We try to catch the snakes and relocate them to the lake down the street.
Kathy

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 04:12:01 AM »
i also have a thing about snakes . i manage if i see them at first at a distance of 6 or more [preferably] feet . i see them sometimes when i'm jogging , but in my yard would make me extremely uncomfortable when working in twovetts flower beds [ she designs them , i am 'labor' ] .

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 09:49:58 AM »
I am in no way afraid of snakes but fear a Moccasin might someday visit. I have a ton of hiding places that I walk through. I just don't want to get bit by a moccasin at my own house. As a Surveyor I see and deal with snakes a lot. Would be terrible to have my first bite at my own house. I see snake skins around the pond every year but have yet to lose a fish to them or see them in action.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 12:10:39 PM »
Oi, I will have to check out the snake repellent.  I just don't like snake, not even a fake one.   :)  Isn't water moccasin poisonous?  If there is a chance of it around the yard, I am not sure I'll step foot outside.  I may just have to call it good with ponding.   {nono}

Kuan

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 01:40:37 PM »
I'm not at all afraid of snakes, but I think opening a lid like that and finding one would surprise anyone.  I get startled a little when I open my skimmer lid and see a big bullfrog..........it happens all the time, but it still startles me.  I think snakes are fascinating, but I don't want them around my pond eating the fish and frogs.  I usually get a broom and run them off into the woods.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 02:26:10 PM »
We certainally don't have to worry about water snakes...now rattlers...that is another matter.

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 04:12:36 PM »
We don't have poisonous snakes here either but they still scare me too! Hope you find this one but they do seem to like ponds.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 06:22:11 PM »
I'm with Karen, I'm not afraid of snakes, but do not like to be startled.  I used to see garter snakes in the yard and gardens all the time, but haven't seen any for years now.  I did see a couple of corn snakes a few years back (I had never seen one before) and was a little alarmed at it's markings until I realized it was a 'good' snake.  It eats rats--so I put it out by the barn... :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 10:17:47 AM »
I LOVE snakes! ...FAR, FAR, away!  Unless of course they eat Skunks and leave.  :o

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 05:30:25 PM »
Fernlady says sulpher works and fire ant killer. But personaly I have a snake cat. We saved her this winter when she was about to freeze outside. I had her fixed so we would have no kittens. And we let her outside about April 1st. 14 dead snakes later she is still hunting. She is now hubby's favorite cat. I do put her up at night and the next morning she is ready to roll again. LOL Works for us.

@O@

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 05:37:46 PM »
I was laughing as I read this - until I got to the part about the water moccasin.

I like Nature, too.  But not all snakes have a place here, at least not in our yards.

Maybe we should all get Snake Cats.   :)   

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 06:00:17 AM »
I would love to have a snake cat.   lol  Our one and only cat passed away last year at 16 so we adopted another sheltie from the shelter.  I think this newly adopted sheltie was the one who killed the snake 2 weeks ago.  But if the snake is hiding in the skimmer under the lid, I don't think the dog could get to it.  Not even sure the snake cat will do us any good unless the snake decides to come out of hiding and wonder into the yard.

I have also heard of sulfur as a snake deterant.  I didn't see it in the big box store so might need to go to a nursery of sort to see if they have it.

Vickie - It gives me the shudders when I read your post about your snake cat killing 14 snakes.  I'm not sure I can even step foot outside if we have that many (and more) snakes out in the yard.   >:(-

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"