Author Topic: Finally... a break (and it's not one of my limbs)  (Read 5134 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Finally... a break (and it's not one of my limbs)
« on: June 04, 2011, 09:56:43 PM »
For the past year I've been on unemployment, working at a friend's shop for extra $$, and watching employers take advantage of the economy.  For example, a job posted had the following requirements:
Min 5 years experience with Adobe Suite, including Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign. Experience with Flash, Dreamweaver, etc.
Able to shoot, edit and produce short videos for [our] clients using Final Cut Pro

Lot's of requirements, lots of experience, lots of expensive programs requiring more than just basic knowledge or skills.  They were paying a whole twelve dollars an hour!  Other jobs that I saw had things like "$320 per week guaranteed!".  Really?? That's minimum wage in California.  I guess they're counting on people not being very good at basic math.  It's been a struggle, my savings are almost gone and I was about to either tap into my retirement account to pay mortgage, or rent a room or two out to total strangers in my home. 

But then I got an email the other day, and it was a technical recruiter who wanted to interview me for a possible contract job that could become permanent after 90 days.  She saw my resume on careerbuilder.com, and was familiar with the company that I used to work for before I was laid off last year (after 18 years).  She liked that I had longevity, and the experience that I have from that job, and I'm happy to say that this coming Thursday I have an interview for that job - they liked what they saw in my profile and from what she told them.  The official title is "System Verification Test Engineer, Level II".  Basically it's a QA job, testing software/products.

I'm excited, and a little nervous, but feel confident that I can do the job.  The company is local to me, about 12 miles away instead of 65, and the pay is very good.  I really hope I get this, I really needed a break from the crap I've been through in the past year.  Keep your fingers crossed for me....

thanks...
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Finally... a break (and it's not one of my limbs)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 12:29:10 AM »
Excellent Michael!
Dress sharp, but not too sharp.  Exude confidence, even if it's an act.

best of luck! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 03:51:41 AM »
Best of Luck to you !
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 04:25:05 AM »
good luck . i know the 'losing' feeling but never found another job . ten years ago i was told on thursday afternoon that friday was my last day .  cobraed insurance for 3 years but then wife had to get private medical insurance , it started at about $1000 -----a month-- and has reached more than [by a lot] double that .

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 04:44:40 AM »
That's awesome Michael!  I will be sending good vibes your way and make sure you let us know the outcome!   @O@
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 05:51:11 AM »
Good luck with the interview!  O0 O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
In today's private sector it is quite unusual for someone to work for the same company for 18 years.  Stability is something employers like to see.  It's not cost effective when you have a high turnover rate in skilled positions.  Praying for a successful interview.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 12:22:06 PM »
Michael, good luck on your interview.  You deserve it!   O0  I'm also in the software QA industry.  My employer cuts everything from the 401K contribution to resources.  It is bad...

Kuan

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 01:32:11 PM »
Great news.  @O@
Yep......what Jerry said............you need to sell yourself because you know that you are well qualified and would do an excellent job. 

I'll be thinking about you Thursday............good luck.  O0

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »
Good luck Michael, you deserve it, you've been through a lot!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 09:58:08 AM »
That IS great news Mike!  You'll do just fine.  Just don't break a leg!   :D :D

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 07:46:16 PM »
I have a feeling it's in the bag already!

Let us know how it goes.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »
Best wishes Michael.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 08:36:21 PM »
Remember to let us know how it went Michael---keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!!   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 07:20:36 AM »
Thanks... I'll let you know as soon as I find out.  Initially it was a phone interview, then changed to 'in person' but now it's back to phone.  They have a few positions and are trying to get them all filled by tomorrow, from what I hear.  My recruiter said that there are only two candidates, and felt that I have a good chance but didn't want to get my hopes up so she did the diplomatic thing and told me I have a 50/50 chance.

I feel confident, I'm just going to do my best on the interview (phone will be a bit awkward, though) and hope for the best.  I really would like to get this so I won't have to rent a room or two in my house to a stranger!

thanks for the thoughts...
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 11:01:33 AM »
Good luck Michael.  A phone interview seems weird to me.  Now if your work was going to involve a lot of telephone use then it would make sense.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 01:30:07 PM »
Just finished the interview, it was extremely awkward, and to be honest, I don't think I will get the position.  I don't want to throw in the towel, but I kind of feel like I was set up by the recruiter that I know more than I do about some things.  I'll find out either this afternoon or tomorrow morning.  :-\

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 02:01:13 PM »
Phone interviews do seem odd, but I know they are common.  We have some close friends who had a son interviewing for the job of executive director of a large hospital.  It was a phone interview.  He said it was nerve wracking and he didn't think he did well at all.........he got the job. 

Hoping you get good news.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 07:13:44 PM »
Well, I'm still praying that you get the job.  It may be that you are being too hard on yourself again....and they are thrilled at the prospect of hiring you.  I'm hoping you get the best of news too Michael! 
LuAnn

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 10:39:07 AM »
Thanks... they didn't have an answer Friday, so I should find out tomorrow.  The suspense is killing me!!  The recruiter told me that she's really pushing hard for them to hire me, so I guess that's a good thing as long as she's not saying the same to the other candidate!  She told me the job pays a couple dollars less and asked if that's a problem.  I said, "as long as the term 'couple' actually means a couple and not $15-20 less".  She laughed, and said it was $4 less than what she quoted me so I can live with that.

And yes, LuAnn, I am VERY hard on myself - always have been.  I remember when I relinquished the reigns to a co-worker a few years ago and he quickly realized that the job was a lot more difficult than he assumed it would be.  I had given him easier assignments prior to his promotion so he thought the supervisor job would be a breeze.  He told another co-worker, "I thought Michael took all the easy assignments and handed out the hard one's.  He made it look easy."  The other guy said, "No, Michael always takes the hard one's.  That's just how he is."   Even though I had "done my time" I still felt guilty giving hard assignments to others, like it wasn't right for me to do that.  I'm kinda stupid that way, I guess.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 03:58:51 PM »
Oh, I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear the good news!  I guess $4 isn't so bad either. 

And I think one of the hardest jobs a manager has to learn to do is to 'delegate' work to others.  No matter how easy/hard the work is, someone's gonna find fault with what you decide.   :D

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:02:09 PM by Kittyzee »
LuAnn

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 04:57:57 PM »
so often when it seems one has no chance you find you got it!
Let's hope! o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 03:47:38 PM »
Well, hopefully you will get the position.  :)

I hear you though, wages are quite low for skilled positions. I was gearing up to leave my job and get a new job at the one hospital but the positions that I wanted to do had dropped in salary well below what I make now. I couldn't take that large of a cut.

I have been at the same company for 18 years. There is virtually no place else to work here doing graphics. We are being pressured to increase our skills and learn additional software but they are not willing to help with that. I'm sure I'll get my hours cut again this winter so I'm going to have to find some type of part time work.

Interesting, when I was doing some job hunting last summer, the counselor at the Workforce Center told me that being with the same company was going to be a huge negative for me. I was a bit stunned by that but she told me that employers are looking for diversity and people who expand their skills and work various types of jobs. She told me I was going to be really difficult to market because I had done the same type of work with the same company for 18 years. She said employers would steer away because they would consider me "difficult" to adapt.  :( ::) Even though I have done other things and have other skills it was going to be difficult to make it look that way on paper/resume.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 04:40:06 PM »
Interesting, when I was doing some job hunting last summer, the counselor at the Workforce Center told me that being with the same company was going to be a huge negative for me.
I find that odd but perhaps it is because of the line of work.  When I was responsible for the hiring process for police officers I and management always looked positively at applicants who had been at the same company, not necessarily the same job, for several years.  I viewed long-term employees as being stable, not difficult to work with or otherwise they wouldn't be long-term employees.  The additional bonus was that they had established a reputation.  By talking with supervisors and co-workers we would learn about their work ethic, personality and interpersonal relations with co-workers, all of which was critical to us.  You just don't get that from a short-term employee.

When I transferred to our Personnel Division I was working with six non-sworn women.  The main problem in that division was that some of the women had personality conflicts with some of the other women.  Every week I was spending time doing conflict resolution......  I felt like a U.N. employee trying to keep the peace.....

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 09:03:37 PM »
We had a VP pop off one day and make this comment:  "Anyone who has been at one company for more than 5 years has been there too long".   What an ass.  He said this at a company that rewards and recognizes longevity.   I've always felt that longevity spells loyalty and dedication, moving around spells instability and discontent. 

On another note... now I'm being told that I might not find out until this Friday... it's driving me insane!!  I feel like I'm being strung along... who knows...

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 04:22:39 AM »
How odd Michael.  I'm sure it does feel like that's what they are doing.  I also agree with you that employees who stick with a company are loyal and content.  We have an aircraft company, has been here for many years.  Just about 'everyone' has worked there, many people like our parents, even ourselves right out of high school.  It sold many times, people still stuck with the company.  They are getting rid of the long term people and hiring temps.  What a stupid, short sighted business practice.  They have always been non-union, although many times unions have tried to get in.  I wonder about that now..... :thinking:   
LuAnn

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 05:05:55 AM »
At least though they are responding to your request for information on your status.  I've found that most of the time my request for info gets ignored and my calls, emails, etc are unanswered.  People can be so inconsiderate in the hiring and recruiting process. 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 11:53:30 AM »
I just got a call.  They are putting the position on hold, so they aren't hiring anyone right now.  I'm sick of this unemployment bullsh$%

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 03:36:27 PM »
Oh, I'm so sorry Michael! 

It really upsets me when companies say they are hiring and you go through all of that and then they change their mind!  That's not right!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 05:29:50 PM »
That's just horse hockey.  I'm disappointed too.  Something must have fallen through for them to put the position on hold, do you think?  Maybe it's still a possibility in the near future. 
LuAnn

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"