Author Topic: I'm going to Atlanta!  (Read 2898 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
I'm going to Atlanta!
« on: December 31, 2006, 09:35:50 AM »
My boss is paying for air and hotel for me to go to the Atlanta Gift Show. I will get to meet a lot of the people we work with for the first time in person and see a lot more of the products in person that we sell. Most of our manufacturers keep permanent showrooms in the America's Mart there. I think it is the biggest wholesale mart in the USA. It will be a lot of hard work and long hours but all the big buyers go to Atlanta so I should get some big commissions. I'm so excited. We are going to prowl the temps to see what new garden lines we can pick up too

@O@   @O@   @O@
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I'm going to Atlanta!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 10:20:17 AM »
Cool!  Your boss must have confidence in you. 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 10:23:25 AM »
Congratulations, LeeAnne!!! If you get some free time, you should definitely consider going to the new aquarium there--I've heard that it's awesome!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 10:35:17 AM »
Don't forget to take time to meet Teresa!

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 11:13:47 AM »
Is that the show the weekend of the 12th of January?  If so, my big brother will be here too, buying gifts for his watergardening store.

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 11:45:51 AM »
I'm so jealous! :-)~
Please take lots of pix...no excuses.... {nono}
I know you both have awesome cameras! (8:-)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 04:19:35 PM »
Jealous here too!  have fun and hug Teresa! o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 04:37:46 PM »
On behalf of the GA welcoming committee......we'll be glad to have you in our lovely state LeeAnne.

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 06:49:56 PM »
That's wonderful LeeAnn. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Viv

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 12:24:19 AM »
Not fair, I wanna come too!

Be sure and take lots and lots of pics for us!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 11:27:03 AM »
Of course I thought of finally meeting Teresa immediately but it may not be possible. I will not have a car and will be working very long hours at the show. I think there will be dinners/cocktails/networking in the evenings too. I know Atlanta is large and my hotel by the airport may be an hours drive from Teresa's house. 

Yes, it is Jan 12th weekend. I'm flying in late on the 11th and leaving on the 15th. The show is open all day Sat and Sun so will be working all day, both days and Friday too. The show runs until 8pm on Fri and Sat nights too. Which means we may not leave until 9pm as one doesn't shove order writing buyers out the door.

Definitely no time to sight see at all.

I'm not going to take my camera. It is too bulky and I'm sure the mart looks very similar to the one in Seattle that I've been in dozens of times. You can't just walk around taking photos in showrooms, in fact, reps aren't allowed in competing showrooms at all! If, by any chance I can squeeze in a meet with Teresa, I'll have to trust her to bring a camera.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 06:30:49 PM »
I thought you might be downtown Atlanta, but even at the airport, you can get MARTA subways up to Midtown area where Teresa could meet you, and a nice dinner had (Yes, it has been twenty two years since I hung out in that neighbourhood - but I just know there have to be fabulous diners / eateries abounding (Is Zazu's still there) ) or else in downtown Atlanta, I could direct you to my old watering hole, where my old 1969 boarding school straw hat still hangs on the wall for all of America's conventioneers to witness. I still regard downtown Atlanta / Midtown / Buckhead as my "old stamping grounds". All my twenties were spent there, so it is sort of, kinda, home.

Have a great time LeeAnne,

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
Boss tells me not going to be a chance to meet T. Says there are going to be dinners after the show closes and I can expect little sleep.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 03:03:47 PM »
Sorry LeeAnne!  I'm going to be out of town anyway . . . . gonna go try to meet GAJen that weekend!  I guess I should have said that in my first post up there . . . my brother will be here but I won't.

Oh Yeah!  Mike W!!!  Zasu's is long gone . . . . . but was great while it lasted.  There are many new and wonderful places in town now . . . . eating is a pleasure here these days . . . . and there's no longer a need to be jealous of places like New York, New Orleans and San Fran . . . .
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 03:53:42 PM by Teresa »

GAJen

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 04:02:37 PM »
Can't wait Teresa......!

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 10:34:08 AM »
LeeAnne,

It would be worth it to stay an extra day in Atlanta, if only to eat!

There are two restaurants you absolutely MUST experience in Hotlanta!

1.  The Buckhead Diner  http://www.buckheadrestaurants.com/diner.html
2.  The Atlanta Fish Market  http://www.buckheadrestaurants.com/afm.html

Both are in Buckhead.  BTW, if any way at all, next time you go to Atlanta, stay in Buckhead. Could be hard to sleep near Hartsfield due to the plane noise.  Buckhead It is about the nicest area in Atlanta.  Couple of touristy things you ought to see while there are the World of Coca Cola http://www.woccatlanta.com/ and Underground Atlanta http://www.underground-atlanta.com/

Enjoy!

PS,  If possible, take the train instead of cabs to avoid rush hour traffic in Atlanta.
Hartsfield airport is an experience in and of itself.  See it from above on Google Earth to get an advance idea.

Better yet, explore this site for maps of the terminal, you'll be glad you did!

http://www.atlanta-airport.com/default.asp?url=http://www.atlanta-airport.com/sublevels/terminal/termmap.htm

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 02:44:49 PM »
Those are both Buckhead Life Group restaurants - they have a buncha restaurants and every single one of them is great.  Some of my favorites (other than the Fish Market) are Vini Vidi Vici, Pano's & Paul's (Steve got take-out from there for me after I gave birth to each of the girls - the first time they told him "we don't do take-out" and then when he explained why, they did it anyway), 103 West, Kyma and Bluepointe.

There are a lot of other really great Buckhead eateries too . . . . like Woodfire Grill, Fratelli di Napoli, Seeger's, Fogo de Chao, Carbo's, Brasserie Le Coze, Ali Oli and oh so many others . . . . There are also a ton of great places to eat throughout the rest of the city - it's become a wonderful place for food over the last 5 or 10 years.  There are still a lot fewer good eateries downtown than in Buckhead, but there are a few down there.

We also have just about every type of food you could ever want in buckhead . . . . . from Romanian and Morrocan to Jamaican or Malaysian or Lebanese . . . . . experimenting is a lot of fun.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 04:18:40 PM »
I'm taking notes. (8:-)  We are going to Asheville, N.C. in May and have been talking about driving down to Atlanta from there to visit a cousin in the area and then fly home out of Atlanta.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 05:57:12 PM »
I love Asheville!  If you bring me a doggie bag from Earthguild, I'll point you to whatever the best restaurant is when you get here . . . . . . might even tell you where some pretty awsome pond stores/nurseries are . . . .

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 09:03:21 AM »
My boss booked and paid for the flight and hotel, I had no choice in the matter. We will be taking the train to and from the gift mart. As far as dining out, I am sure we will go where our manufacturers want to go. I'm not going to have a choice.

We are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn and I've stayed at one before and they do have comfy beds and big rooms. Airport noise doesn't bother me, my house is near the airport here. I stay near the Sea-Tac Airport when in Seattle too.

I was in Atlanta as a teen on a church youth group trip. We went to The Varsity and ate their famous greasy fast food.  The church we stayed at was in a gorgeous neighborhood with big trees and beautiful homes. It was a United Methodist Church. A very large and fancy one. That is about all I remember.

I would love to take a tour of both the South and the East Coast and New England. I don't have any relatives anywhere close though. Do have a really good friend in Upstate NY who has invited me before but finances were too tight. Some day.....I want to Savannah and to New Orleans again.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 10:38:23 AM »
LeeAnne,

Savannah and Charleston are two of my favorite places to visit.  (Boston, Richmond, and Philadelphia, also).

If you ever come to charlotte, be sure to call..704-535-1473.

We will be coming to Washougal, Wa, some time in the next 12 months to visit our son.  If possible, would love to meet you!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 01:20:46 PM »
Johns, absolutely. Washougal is very close.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 11:26:29 AM »
I'm back. I did have good food! 

The America's Mart is downtown at Peachtree Station on Marta. The showroom we were helping in had Chick-Fil-A cater the food every day. We don't have them in Oregon. Dang, for fast food, it was really good. They really know how to fry in the South. The chicken strips and honey mustard dressing were yummy.

Had good food twice at Joe's, a pub by the airport. Peach BBQ ribs and chicken strips. Sweet potato fries and pub fries were delicious. I've never had fried food with so little grease.

One of the manufacturer's took us to two restaurants in downtown Atlanta. Asiago and a Chinese one whose name escapes me but he is Chinese and says it is real Chinese food not the crap American's call Chinese food. It was excellent. I'm not a huge fan of Italian and to me, pasta is pasta but the bread at Asiago was great. The shrimp in my pasta wasn't nearly as good as the walnut shrimp or the avocado shrimp at the Chinese restaurant we were at the previous night.

I drank something called a Georgia Peach at some bistro place at the airport. Like lemonaid but peaches. It was awfully sweet to me, (I drink my ice tea with no sweetener) but It was really good.

Had a good salad at Willy's a fast food Mexican place. Not as good as Chipolte's but better than I thought it would be.

There, my culinary tour of Atlanta. Not Buckhead, but it was still good. I even drank a Coke! (I'm a Pepsi girl)
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 02:23:43 PM »
Did you get me a present?  ;D  ;D
Tammie

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 02:39:35 PM »
And according to my daughter you came back to about 3-4" of snow :o  I'm glad you had a good time in Atlanta.  I'll be there briefly in May

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 06:27:21 AM »
Glad y'all had a good time!

Between all that feasting,  you get any work done?

Welcome home.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 07:05:02 AM »
HMMM, I'll be in Ashveille, N.C.  in May too Mikey.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2007, 08:35:07 AM »
Yes, got a lot of work done.

Met a lot of people that I have only talked to on the phone/email. Got to see the showrooms of the products we represent and see all of the items in person instead of the few samples we have in our showroom in Seattle.

Wrote lots of orders when we were working in our biggest line's showroom. Boss did spend a lot of time BS ing with people he ran into in the halls that he has known for years and I spent way more time listening to talk about hot chicks, cars and drunkeness at previous shows that I ever wanted too. Would have rather been working back in the showroom but I needed to tour the Mart and just had to wait for him......The Mart is way too big for me to just run back every time he started chatting....

Lots of snow on the ground here. Portland is pretty much shut down. We never get this much snow.

I bought myself a shot glass at the Hard Rock Cafe and that was all the presents I bought. Sorry, Tammie. :) The drinks were flowing the entire trip but I didn't drink at all because I was afraid of a headache so I made my boss wait while I had a shot of Cabo Wabo Tequila at the Hard Rock on our way to the airport to leave. The Hard Rock was across the street from the Mart. I prefer Patron but they were out. The Cabo Wabo is pretty good, much smoother than Cuervo 1800. :D
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2007, 02:21:56 PM »
Shucks!  I love presents...
Glad you had a good time, it's nice to have a change of scenery!
Tammie

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2007, 04:28:29 PM »
Tammie, Honey, if there's something you want from Atlanta, I'll be happy to get it for ya . . . . .

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"