Author Topic: Question about waterlilies from Thailand.  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
Question about waterlilies from Thailand.
« on: June 19, 2011, 12:42:19 PM »
I first saw Nangkwaug (or Indian Goddess) waterlilies and others such as Jongkolnee, while searching through the archives of the IWLS on-line. I was looking for something different as opposed to the usual available from the big-name suppliers. (Although I have to say there are many more varieties available now that there was 19 years ago.)

The only place I found to get some of these more "exotic" plants was a shop on EBay that sells live plants directly from Thailand. Nice enough guy when you get to know him a bit, but not very knowledgeable about the plants. (That may not be entirely accurate, it could be at least partially due to something of a language barrier.)

Now that I've spent a little time on this forum, I see where quite a few people do have some of these waterlilies. I'm very curious about  where you found them. I am always on the lookout for different, less commonly know waterlilies.

Anyone care to point me in the right direction to these sources? Preferably sources that understand the importance of accurate identity of the plants?

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Question about waterlilies from Thailand.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 06:39:41 PM »
I recall that Timgod (he has not posted in a while) and Kat have these plants too from previous posts. I got mine (Red) from Kat and a Purple one from Magoo. Don't think I've seen anyone else other than Tim and Kat post pics of them. I am sure their sources are true to name too. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 06:42:53 PM by greenthumbnails »
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 07:45:42 PM »
I have several lilies from Thialand, Tan Kwan, Sribangpra, Mea Maw. They are all nice lilies. And
am getting 3 other Thia lilies.  I bought ones  I have from Texas Water lilies.  Others are coming
from swap with another member.  On jongkolknee -- let me warn you -- that one is a booger to
grow, and  an infrequent bloomer if you should get it to grow.  I'm about thru with that one, have
tried it twice, with no luck. Good luck to you.  And  on Thia growers, there was a white Siam  on
ebay. I bought it. Well, long story,  even tho I paid for it, I never got it.  So my advice to you on
some Thia growers -- just be  wary!!

Marie Fisher
Memphis, Tn. 

Offline magoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 08:17:33 AM »
Hello folks,

After checking email's from past trades. It appears I received my PurpleIG from outonalimb from GardenWeb in 2003. If one can say a lily is too prolific, then it's the PIG. Mine produces so many new tubers that none grow to flowering size.  It's still around here even with much neglect. I know I have a problem in that I WANT one of every tropical dayblooming water lily variety I see. With limited pond space, I decided I would prefer one of Craig's or Rich's new hybrids over other Nang Kwok's.
If it's worth doin', it's worth doin' to excess
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/magoo_/

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 09:42:21 AM »
The trick to getting Purple Indian Goddess to bloom is to separate out ONE (maybe 2) plants at the beginning of the season & pot them in a gallon size pot.  If you leave them all clustered together they don't bloom.  Same goes for the other Indian Goddess lilies.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 11:57:14 AM »
I appreciate everyone's replies! Love the free-low of information. I can be included in the class of "I want one of every kind" when it comes to water lilies.

My own experience with the Ebay seller of waterliles from Thailand has been pretty good, over all. A little confusing at times because of the language barrier perhaps. My impression is that he knows much more about sales than he does waterlilies, though. My Jongkolnee tubers got off to a very slow start, but now both plants seem to be growing well. (One is in a one gallon pot, the other in an 18 oz. plastic cup.)

I've discovered that the first few blooms of the Nangkwags from that source look a little strange, not opening fully, falling over before it fully opens, that sort of thing, but the blooms that follow look and act just fine. I should have expected this, as I was told long ago that the first pads a watelily produces and it's first bloom should will often be a poor indicator of what the mature plant will look like.

Patience is a virtue, it's just never been one of mine.

I hope I've made it clear in my intoductory post in the "getting to know you" section, as well as a few other post that I am now a hobbyist, but have every intention of turning my hobby into what will become a retirement business. I do want to be very open and above board about that.

I have decided I will include some of the varieties that I've gotten from Thailand in my inventory, simply because I find that I like these plants. Of course, I realize that they will not suit everyone's taste, but that's true about most things.

While I'm working with these new (to me) waterlilies, I'll post anything I learn about getting them to perform well. One thing I do know is that if you are willing to get, you must be equally willing to give.

Again, many thanks!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 07:04:11 PM »
Mike   Congratulations on your jonkolknee. When that baby blooms,please post a picture for
us. You've done what I've not been able to do!!!  Happy for you!!

Marie Fisher

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"