Author Topic: A study on dragonflies  (Read 1960 times)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
A study on dragonflies
« on: June 25, 2011, 11:44:58 AM »
I may be getting carried away with this blog thing. Two new posts today, the most recent on dragonflies.

http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com/2011/06/25/a-study-on-dragonflies/
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: A study on dragonflies
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 05:32:35 PM »
Fabulous!  You ought to post that on Wikipedia.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 05:11:32 PM »
Kewl observations.
I wish I knew more about dragonflies. They have kewl names, too... like meadowhawks... darters... bombers... but I am not expert enough to discern them.
The principal distinctions seem to be color, size, and behavior. For example, the meadowhawks return to water to deposit eggs, but live in drier areas.

We have several spectacular dragonflies here. A monster sized blue, a huge green, and both scarlet and magenta medium sized fliers.

:)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 06:32:43 PM »
I saw this happen for the first time recently too in my pond. I believe I also caught them mating but it was like only a few seconds before she then started laying eggs in a puddle on top of one of the lily pads.  Until then I thought that the eggs I saw on top of the pads were snail eggs.  They were too small to be frog or toad eggs. I tried to take pics, but too blurry. You captured a really good shot of it.  I did not know that they also laid the eggs on the surface of open water.
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:52:35 PM »
That's great! VERY informative and great pictures! 

Offline Mike S.

• Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:25:17 AM »
One thing I could not find, even with several Web searches, was a picture of dragonfly eggs, laid in water. What I was actually hoping for was a picture of them on a lily pad. (For obvious reasons!)

Got to say, the descriptons of the eggs in the previous post were most helpful! I'd been looking at some egg masses on quite a few waterlily pads and was thinking these were probably dragonfly eggs, but wasn't sure.

Kind of like frog egss, only much smaller?  Sort of a gelled mass of little black dots? If these are indeed dragonfly eggs, I'll stop removing them from the pads. (I like dragonflys!) I was a little suspicious that they could be some other kind of insect, maybe some kind of waterlily pad-eating little monster. I've had the usual attacks by the China Mark Moth larvae, which is easily dealt with, but one old pond has submerged pads that develope rather large cut-outs on them, before they even reach the surface. Some of these cuts are taken out of the edge, some are within the pad, like cookie cutter holes. This is something I'd not seen before.

Since the patio ponds were put in and the plants started growing, the dragonfly population went from "a few here and there," to what sometimes looks like the attack on Pearl Harbor. I can sit for hours just watching them.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 02:25:07 PM »
One thing I could not find, even with several Web searches, was a picture of dragonfly eggs, laid in water. What I was actually hoping for was a picture of them on a lily pad. (For obvious reasons!)

Got to say, the descriptons of the eggs in the previous post were most helpful! I'd been looking at some egg masses on quite a few waterlily pads and was thinking these were probably dragonfly eggs, but wasn't sure.

Kind of like frog egss, only much smaller?  Sort of a gelled mass of little black dots? If these are indeed dragonfly eggs, I'll stop removing them from the pads. (I like dragonflys!) I was a little suspicious that they could be some other kind of insect, maybe some kind of waterlily pad-eating little monster. I've had the usual attacks by the China Mark Moth larvae, which is easily dealt with, but one old pond has submerged pads that develope rather large cut-outs on them, before they even reach the surface. Some of these cuts are taken out of the edge, some are within the pad, like cookie cutter holes. This is something I'd not seen before.

Since the patio ponds were put in and the plants started growing, the dragonfly population went from "a few here and there," to what sometimes looks like the attack on Pearl Harbor. I can sit for hours just watching them.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

I am not trying to hijack Jessica's thread, but to add to it...

For Mike S - Here are my pics of the blue dragonfly laying eggs and the puddle of eggs. They are really small, kinda like snail eggs but on the top of lily pads in a puddle as opposed to under the lily pads in a jelly mass.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:36:35 PM by greenthumbnails »
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 03:06:43 PM »
Awesome photos! Watergardening and dragonflies pretty much go hand-in-hand. Good discussion, too! :)
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Mike S.

• Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 04:32:23 PM »
Excellent, gtn!

Those pics show exactly what I wanted to see. And now I can relax a bit on the subject, I know what I'm seeing is indeed, dragonfly eggs.

Thank you very much!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:14:31 PM »
This is an awesome thread!  Thanks for all the info everyone!   o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Sayer

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 08:41:16 AM »
Very nice overview of the dragonfly life cycle. Funny, I have not been on this forum in years, but am just now starting to plan a pond and decided to check the forum. Had to leave my old pond behind due to a life change.

I am a huge fan of dragonflies and have spent a lot of time photographing them. The blue dragonfly is called a "Blue Dasher", the one in your photos is a male, the females have no blue on them.

With a little patience you can get them onto your finger by slowly moving your finger under their tail and gently touching the back legs. At first they will fly away, but after a few minutes they get stubborn and will start to step onto your finger. Here's a photo I took of one on my own finger:

And here is how they look very close:

I have a gallery of dragonfly photos here:
http://www.pbase.com/sayer/dragonflies

Have a great ponding day!

Sayer

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 09:04:46 AM »
Nice pics Sayer

I like dragonflys also

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 09:12:36 AM »
After those pics Sayer, I don't think I'll look at a dragonfly in quite the same way again!  What a whiskery face they have.  Awesome photos!   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline LynneNY

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 10:25:10 AM »
After those pics Sayer, I don't think I'll look at a dragonfly in quite the same way again!  What a whiskery face they have.  Awesome photos!   :)

Great pictures, Sayer! Can't say I will look at them as endearingly now that I've seen that second picture!  :o

Offline dbayou

• Members
  • With us since: 28/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 05:26:31 PM »
Here are a couple of sites:

http://www.odonatacentral.org/
http://www.dragonflies.org/

We've had a couple of talks by them at our meetings.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"