Author Topic: How would you nail into an oak tree?  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How would you nail into an oak tree?
« on: June 25, 2011, 05:38:47 PM »
I want to move a medium-sized staghorn fern, and hang it against the trunk of my live oak tree.  It's on a hanging metal base that is flat on the back.

I keep hearing about not nailing into trees, because it can harm the tree.  But, gee, will one galvanized metal screw really cause damage?  Is there another safer way?

The only alternative I can think of is to rig chains from branches and the trunk, and arrange it so it rests against the part of the trunk where I want the fern, and then hang the fern by an "S" hook.

Whatchathink?

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How would you nail into an oak tree?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 06:44:28 PM »
How big is the staghorn?  I have one but it's not that big.  Are you wanting to be able to move it in case the temperatures drop?  I would probably get some chicken wire and wire it up against the tree holding it that way.  I don't know if screws or nails will hurt an oak tree.   :thinking:
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline fishin4cars

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/06/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 07:22:49 PM »
They do make plastic screws for sheetrock.  I don't think that would hurt a tree either.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 07:29:13 PM »
I can't imagine a steel screw causing significant damage to a tree considering all the trees that have survived hunters shooting them up and landowners nailing "No Trespassing" signs on them......

I do have one thought however.  I understand that our California Oak does not like the area near the trunk being kept moist because a fungal problem will develop.  We are quite dry here with low humidity, thus our staghorns need regular misting or watering in order to look well.  I'm not certain if that will be an issue for you.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 10:47:46 PM »
I think I read somewhere that a nail or more in a tree trunk would not hurt the tree but they didn't specify tree types.  I know there are many people around here who just nail everything into a tree, including Hammock hooks and tree houses.

I happened to take a photo of a staghorn fern in my brother's neighborhood that is hanging on a magnolia tree.  These people used strings of all types to hang a few platters of staghorns.  Sorry second photo of a huge mounted staghorns is so blurry - fingerprint a bit greasy on cellphone!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 04:28:28 AM »
Greasy fingerprint or not--that's one big, honkin' staghorn!  I'm jealous!!  (again... ::))   ;D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 07:27:08 AM »
I wouldn't think it would hurt the tree, only the value if you were planning on selling it off as a timber tree.  We nail things into the trees in our yard all the time...............but hubby wouldn't let me nail anything into a tree in the woods...........because they have "value" whether we would ever sell them or not.  ::)

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 08:07:33 PM »
Karen:  Is the concern the trees in the woods about damaging chain saws and other wood working tools or because the nail causes discoloring and physical damage to the tree....or both?

Our son, a woodworker, retrieves free "prize" trees that folks have cut down and uses the wood in various projects.  He has a metal detecting device he always uses on each piece of wood to detect nails and staples to ensure he doesn't damage his wood working tools.  A "prize" tree for him would be an olive tree or the base trunk of a walnut tree.

Offline Julles

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 06:52:06 AM »
Thanks, guys.  I think I'll just go buy a big ol' nail and hammer away, without fear of hurting the tree.

Mikey, after Hurricane Ike, people would drive around and volunteer to remove fallen trees from people's property and from across streets, and would haul them off to be used for various projects.  And in Galveston, a sculpture artist got famous by carving the killed trees in people's front yards and in public spaces into various figures.

http://www.galveston.com/treesculptures/trees/

I do volunteer work at a previously-abandoned cemetery for freed slaves, and we are culling out many "volunteer" trees and other brush, and he's going to carve one for us, too.

http://www.collegeparkcemetery.net/ 

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 11:00:34 AM »
Wow!  America really does have talent.....

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 11:36:11 AM »
Like Mikey said!  Wow that's a lot of major carving!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 04:45:29 PM »
One or two nails/screws is not going to significantly damage your tree. Yes, it will leave a scar and probably eventually grow over it but so what. We have a tree in the back yard that has a trunk that is maybe 3' high and then it splits off into two trunks. Somewhere along the line before we moved here 40 years ago, someone layed a heavy piece of chain across the V. When we moved here the tree had begun to grow around it. Now the chain is embedded down maybe a foot from the V of the tree.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 04:50:33 PM »
Julles, those carvings are something else, I love the heron one!

Mikey, its physical damage to the tree.  A lot of logging is done around here for hardwood trees.  A good veneer tree goes for big bucks.  

We have a very dear friend that does carvings.  He is in his 80's and in a wheelchair, paralyzed when he was in his early 40's.  He decided he wanted to do some tree carvings, so we supplied the trees.  He kept the first one and gave us #2.  It is white oak, sixteen inch diameter.  I would love to have it outside, but hubby insists we keep it inside so it doesn't crack and discolor.  Most of our guests come in our backdoor, so this greats them.  It's not exactly my "cup of tea" but it means a lot to us.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 06:35:16 AM »
Karen, that is super.

Now, how on Earth does that guy maneuver himself and his tools all around a heavy tree trunk, with him being in a wheelchair?  My, the things some people can do!!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"