Author Topic: Herons at night?  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Elly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Herons at night?
« on: June 29, 2011, 03:36:24 PM »
Do herons come and eat at night?, I have 3 koi missing and can't figure out what happened to them. No sign of anything disturbed in the pond, any thoughts?

Offline fishin4cars

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/06/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Herons at night?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 04:00:09 PM »
yes, They will!  there is a Night Heron that feeds almost exclusively at night. The Great Blue Heron usually attacks in the very early morning before sunrise or late in the after noon just before dark but can and will attack at any time!.   Also they are known for attacking fairly large fish.  Had one that attacked over the winter that got 22 fish out of 26 that I had in my pond and the largest were 17" and 18" koi respectively. Didn't eat them just killed them and removed them out of it's way while it attacked. Also be aware that OWLS also attack at night. I just learned this, had one attack and I only found out because I had a trail camera set up to see what was getting my fish.   BTW both attacks happened with leaf netting over the pond!   I have now gone to using chicken wire with PVC pipe frames. This works far better to stop herons as the leaf netting they will stand on and push it down in the water to spear the fish, then once they float up they will remove them, Don't be fooled, These birds are VERY smart. The one that got most of my fish learned how to step on a rock that was on a ledge and it would make a hole under the netting, that is how it got the fish out. This was observed on two seperate occasions!   

Offline Mike S.

• Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 04:59:42 PM »
The Heron, aka, Birdzilla!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline LynneNY

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

We call them pterodactyls here! Their wingspan is unbelievable!!!

We must have had a visit from one (or maybe the owl we hear loudly each night?) just a few days ago, because all of our fish are SPOOKED!!! :o They will no longer come up to the surface to eat, nor will they follow us around the pond when we walk outside the perimeter. :'(  It's been about 3 days now. I can't tell if any fish are missing, because they are all moving so fast to get away whenever we go near. Thankfully the 3 koi are still there, as are my favorite goldfish, but as for the others... only the shadow knows! :-\

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 07:01:57 PM »
Oh those stinkin' birds!   >:(-  I know it's their nature, but why can't they leave our pets alone?  They 'seem' to be smart enough to know the difference..... :P
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline fishin4cars

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 07:21:07 PM »

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

We call them pterodactyls here! Their wingspan is unbelievable!!!

We must have had a visit from one (or maybe the owl we hear loudly each night?) just a few days ago, because all of our fish are SPOOKED!!! :o They will no longer come up to the surface to eat, nor will they follow us around the pond when we walk outside the perimeter. :'(  It's been about 3 days now. I can't tell if any fish are missing, because they are all moving so fast to get away whenever we go near. Thankfully the 3 koi are still there, as are my favorite goldfish, but as for the others... only the shadow knows! :-\

Pass me a lucky penny!   Darn things ALWAYS get my favorite ones first!  It's taken weeks for mine to come back out after an attack, Funny how they know! I hate the wire cover but so far the only casulty was a nice young male buulfrog that got caght in the edge netting.

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 06:59:10 AM »
Simple sad truth, the quickest way to kill a Koi is to name it.

Predator, disease, equipment failure, freak lightning strike, or some combination of those will target that most favored fish. To this day, I'm still half-convinced that it is some sort of conspiracy against those who would keep fish.

My first encounter with Birdzilla was when one systematically killed about 30 young Ogons, about 10 to 12 inches in lenght. In-ground pond with a nice stream between the filter section and the main pond. I added marginals along the edges and a mulit-strand fishing wire fence. The provided only marginal protection. Big Bird doesn't like landing in water, they prefer to wade in. If that isn't do-able, they are perfectly happy fishing from pondside. And to make things worse, they will spear and kill fish that they cannot possibly eat.

One Heron managed to tangle a wing in the fishing line. It was a bit tricky, but I managed to clip him free so that he was able to fly off, uninjured, without any of the line still on him. (I've seen what fishing line can do the Pelicans in the wild.) Happy to say that this bird never did return.

This encounter set me off on my path to building landscape timber and plywood ponds, half in-ground, half above ground. They were small, averaging about 1,200 gallons including the filter system, but at one time, I had 4 of them, and some large stock tank ponds, as well. The above ground ponds had about a foot between the water level and the top of the pond. A raised netting frame kept the net about a foot, to 18 inches about that. This was high enough to prevent spearing attacks.

With larger raised ponds, those with edges well above the water level, I'd planned on a short fence on top of the edge that leans out at a 45* angle over the water to keep be buggers at bay. This type of netting would do the job, without being much in the way of an eye sore.

But, Life is simpler for me these days, as I'm not keeping Koi. Just a couple of goldfish in each waterlily pond, bought as a bag of feeders. Later on, I'll be building a Koi pond and probably find myself doing battle with the feathered adivisary once again. I do love seeing those  winged beasties, just not feeding on my fish. I still laugh at myself when I glance around the back yard and my heart nearly stops because I think I've spotten one on the ground.

It's only the plastic Heron "decoy" I put out there after someone said they were supposed to keep the real ones away. Didn't work, of course. I've actually seen larger numbers of the Great Blue standing shoulder-to-shoulder on the bank when baitfish were running. Just like fishermen will do at a favorite location under the same circumstances.

Not sure why that decoy is still out there after all these years, but it is. And I will probably leave it there.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 07:19:14 AM »
I've seen a heron perched on the sidewall of my stock tank hunkered down just waiting for a fish to pass by.  Same goes for my above ground ponds.  This spring one was sticking it's head between the tomato cage wires to get at fish as they spawned on the bog plant I had in that corner.  A couple of years ago I put PVC lattice over the top of my stock tanks & the bird would just walk on it spearing fish thru the holes.  I'm about ready to give up on keeping goldfish in my lily ponds & next year I have to convince myself not to collect goldfish eggs.  Reading up on the water sprinkler scarecrow, the herons would just learn to avoid where it sprays--the owners would get sprayed more that the critters  {:-P;;.  Heron decoy, LOL, I bought one  ::).  My toddler had more fun with it as a pretend pet than any good it did outside  ;D.  Fake alligator heads don't do a thing although they look cool  o(

Good luck.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 08:24:19 AM »

You have to worry about neighborhood cats, too.  Yes, they DO catch fish.

Fishin', I have those same PVC & chicken wire covers on my pond.  And Mike, what a bittersweet task, to untangle and release a danged heron who you know will be back tomorrow to snack again.

Here is the latest at our local pond store, as far as heron-scarin' goes.
http://nelsonwatergardens.com/bird-scare/

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 10:26:46 AM »
My koi have been tucking themselves beneath overhanging bog plants...there had to have been a visitor!  I have both my ponds double netted from the 6' wall to the lower front wall of one of the ponds.   The other is almost a room netted around the pond.  So far no problems.

I visited a local koi and pond shop and their outdoor ponds and multiple display pond tanks are all "roomed" in netting.  Over head there is another net above the patio cover.  To get into a tank area you need to pull away over lapping net drapery which is held down by a long pvc 2" pipe in a hem.  They must have had a bad attack on their expensive Japanese koi for all this 200% increase in protection!  I kept walking into netting as I walked around drooling at the beautiful koi.  Reminded me of a halloween house I visited once as a kid.  :o :D

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 11:19:49 AM »
Actually, I never had to worry about the neighborhood cats. Around here, most of them are MINE! I've heard people say their cat never goes fishing. From what I've seen, that means they haven't been under a 24hr watch when they had the opportunity to do so. What I can say is that I never lost a Koi to a cat, and only a few goldfish. Partly because of pond design, partly due to fish learning to recognize the threat, and probably mostly to plain, dumb luck.

The way I see it, I put fish into an environment where they were not there before. All the critters that hang out or pass through my yard, were there first. So I must protect the fish as much as I reasonably can, but I will not do anything that will physically harm the original residents. Just my personal standard.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 01:07:56 PM »
Also be aware that OWLS also attack at night. I just learned this, had one attack and I only found out because I had a trail camera set up to see what was getting my fish.   BTW both attacks happened with leaf netting over the pond! 
Never knew about Owls attacking pond fish. Do they swoop down like an Eagle to snatch their prey.
            The last Heron at my ponds showed up early AM a couple Saturdays ago. I had just stepped out of the shower, looked out the window (with out my spectacles on) and thought what is that next to the pond when it moved its head. So it became decision time do I run out side screaming with a towel around me there by confirming my neighbor’s opinion of me. Nope, decided to scream out the window which prompted the Heron to fly to a branch of a near by tree, pulled on my shorts then ran out the door screaming. This particular pond has a net stretched over it suspended about 10 inched over the surface. My main pond has a fido type electric fence encircling it which has kept the Coons and Heron at bay and yes I can verify that it will give you a jolt if you touch it when removing the skimmer pad. >:(-

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 03:17:51 PM »
Ouch!   :swear:

Well, at least you know it's working!   ;D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Elly

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 06:05:41 PM »
I think thats what has me puzzled, the fish don't seem spooked at all and like I said nothing seems disturbed in or around the pond either. I guess after the holiday I am going to have to put the net up, which covers the whole pond from the top of the waterfalls to the other end, its a job and a half to get it up and I will have to crawl under it  when I feed the fish or do anything in the pond, don't like to do it but, Oh the pond is 7000 gal and at least half covered with lilies and other plants, think I'm gonna move all the lilies to the edge of the pond for more cover in that area, hope it works. Thanks for the info.

Offline fishin4cars

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 09:31:53 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhXm6WAjyEg
Watch this Owl!  This video has been discussed before, some think it may be a set up of some type as there is a perch for the thing to use and the person that posted the video has a few videos of the owl getting the fish, BUT then you see the Raccoon come into the video, ??  I don't know but it does show how effective they can hunt.  The one that attacked my pond was getting the fish right in front of the water fall out of a hole aprox. 2' x 3'. I didn't think anything could get to fish there but I got a pic of in on the trail cam. After that that area got covered too.

Offline Tadpole

• Members
  • With us since: 30/01/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 10:33:59 AM »
That is obviously a VERY shallow pond. In the last part of the video, the owl is actually standing in the water. A pond that shallow is destined to serve as a cafeteria for all of the local wildlife.

Offline fishin4cars

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 10:41:04 AM »
Several times after this video has been posted on other forums some come up with ideas about the video. Someone mentioned that it could be a captive owl in a LARGE aviary and that pond is set up to feed the owl naturally, the question is, why is the raccoon there?  Some have said maybe the fish are bought just to feed the owl. Who knows? But I post it to show they can and do attack goldfish and Koi in ponds. Some people don't really think about them. I didn't until I saw one attack on the trail cam. Then I found this video and learned just how effective they are! I just share the video to help those out that may not know of the danger.

Offline LynneNY

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 07:41:55 AM »
That person must spend a fortune on fish! They don't look very small, as in feeder fish.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"