Author Topic: 8 straight days of rain....I'm over it.....  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Lynne22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
8 straight days of rain....I'm over it.....
« on: July 02, 2011, 04:53:40 AM »
We have had non stop rain for 8 days, with zero sun.  :( I am wondering how much this is going to slow down the water lilies this year? We are suppose to have 3 more days of nothing but rain, with maybe a glimpse of sun here and there. My Bob Trickett has 5 buds on it, one just slightly above the surface, but I can't imagine it will be larger than maybe 2". Anyone else had this much rain and no sun lately? I have noticed a reduction in pad production from all of the lilies, and it took 4 days for my tropical pads to finally lay flat on the surface.....I guess I'm just annoyed with it all.....I picked the wrong year to start a new pond I guess. Or I should have started earlier than May.... :doh: We usually have rain daily here, but not from sun up to sun down....at what point will the lilies really start to suffer without sun? Or will they still put pads out, but no blooms?

Thanks!

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
Re: 8 straight days of rain....I'm over it.....
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 06:39:19 AM »
"Anyone else had this much rain and no sun lately?"

Uh, that would be me.

My concern has been getting waterlilies potted and into ponds. But even with the rain, the 5 small Munkala Ubol that had small pads 6 inches below the surface when I put them in, all had pads floating 2 days later. So, at least for mine, there has been just enough sun getting through, and the water temps staying high enough for the plants to grow.

Those that were blooming, still are. Both tropical and hardies. Don't know how much longer that will be true if this keeps up, though.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:06:32 AM »
Congratulations on all the rain   8-)~  8-)~  8-)~  We'd be more than glad to trade!

We have had 2" since the first of October!  We are DRY DRY DRY...weather man says it is the driest year on record after only six months.

Some of my blooms make it through the first day before they fry.  The yellows and oranges have proved themselves the best for heat.

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 08:14:43 AM »
I understand how you feel but it would be nice to get any rain here in Texas! 

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 11:22:15 AM »
Yup, we got rain here too...reminded me of being in Seattle visiting my friend...constant drippy drizzle all day but no real hard rain. Sun is out today though  8)

Oh, and one of my rain lilies put out a single white bloom  @O@

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 11:33:32 AM »
We have zero rain for about 2 weeks now.  Temp has been in the triple digits for the last 7 days.  Heat index is in the upper 100s.   {nono} >:(  I am willing to trade.  We also have very little breeze, at most 25 mph.  We are bone dry.  My pond needs to be topped off daily and plants turned to crisp.   >:(-

My backyard temp is 106F as I type this.   :(  Please send me your rain... and grey sky...

Kuan

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 12:56:47 PM »
Hey all;

LOL, well, we managed to squeak out about 4 hours, of what I would call bright haze, no real sun though. We were very dry here until 2 weeks ago, and in fact, we have been on water restrictions now for several months. Watering lawns had been limited to once a week since about 3 weeks ago, but that's irrelevant now. 

I built a new pond recently, and about 2 weeks later, wished I would have made it bigger, so I spent the better part of my day making an area that will house 2, 32" water garden planters, and landscaping that. (my patio is starting to look like 'waterworld'.  ::)Still have a lot more to do, but, guess what!?! IT'S RAINING!!!! LOL.... I feel for those of you who really need it though. Most of this year had been very dry. The good thing about it here is it's been much cooler than if it hadn't been cloudy, so at least I save some money on my electric bill.

The Trickett might be open tomorrow, if so I will post a pic. I actually hope it tries to grow a bit before it opens. It's about an inch above the surface.

On the topic of the water gardens, can anyone recommend a tall water plant that I can put in with the lilies? I have umbrella palm, but would really like something that has a bloom, or at least some color? It will have to be able to sit in the water, at least a few inches below the water line. (potted)

Thanks.

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 01:11:54 PM »
Hi Mike, my water has barely managed to stay at the 80 degree mark. But, if we get some sun tomorrow-which I hope we will, I think the temp will go up pretty fast, since it's suppose to be in the mid 90's. I thought northern Florida would be fairly clear today. I hardly pay any attention to the weather people anymore, because they are almost always wrong. I'd like to have a job where I am wrong 80% of the time and still get a paycheck.  {:-P;;

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 04:30:51 PM »
we had .51 inches , that's one half inch not 51 inches , last month , fourth driest june on record here . we are still about five and a half inches over usual precipitation for the year , i shoveled a lot of snow . . .peace

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »
Better not move to Western Oregon....in March of this year we had ONE sunny day and one other without rain. Thats 29 days of rain in one month alone. I think it was over five inches, can't remember.  :o  We've had the second wettest spring since they've been keeping records (117 years) and it was the record breaker for coldest.

No sympathy from me for a lousy eight days.... {:-P;;
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 04:06:30 AM »
Lynne, how about a canna? They get really nice blooms and can get fairly tall. I had one called tropicana and it was beautiful.

Been raining a lot here too. Now it's been blazing hot and humid. So hot yesterday we couldn't work outside on the falls after 11am.
Kathy

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 05:11:42 AM »
I was going to suggest a canna too.  My daughter bought me one for mother's day.  The leaves are a burgundy stripe and the flower is the most beautiful bright orange I've ever seen!  It really adds color to the pond!   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 04:03:40 AM »
Perplexed and Kittyzee, thanks, I will check out the canna. Sounds like what I want. Any recommendations as to who/where to buy them from? Orange would be great...

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 04:59:29 AM »
I wish I could help you on where to buy:  my daughter bought mine from a local grower not a 1/2 hour from here.  I think they are pretty common, and aren't hardy up here, but where you are I would certainly think they would be.  A Lowe's might even carry them. I'd Google and see what comes up, maybe even someone on here might have some!   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"